Need help with MS 170

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you put the wt215 carb on the ms170 I do believe you need to modifiy the impulse port on the carb. Did the dealer get your saw going since the jokers could not.

Your new carb is not getting any impulse unless you fixed that problem.

I'm not a big Stihl guy most of what I work on are Husqvarna products. But I did know those impulse lines are different. Easiest thing to do is use the 170 boot in this case. Maybe one of these fellas has a picture they could show you how to fix the issue.

Where do I modify the impulse at? That is actually what they said was wrong . . .

The guys that told you that it was an easy swap, need to tell you how to fix this easy, I don't see an easy way out.

When you put the wt215 carb on the ms170 I do believe you need to modifiy the impulse port on the carb. Did the dealer get your saw going since the jokers could not.

Anyone know what this involves or should I just stick the old carb back on? I have a lift in my poll barn so I am not new to working/modifying things if you get my drift. I just don't want to do things twice if I can help it. So if anyone has a video or pictures as to how to make the full carb swap on an MS170 I would appreciate it . . . or if anyone wants to buy this saw from me and fix it to their liking then make me an offer.

It should get sealed up when the carb is installed , look at 08f150 cry baby thread:laugh:(something about bringing tears to is eyes) he started yesterday, he just did it and posted good pics

I just did one of these the other week ,tried it on a MS 170 and a MS 180 the part # for the carb I used was 1123-120-0605-A which says WT 215 on the Stihl box , the 6 o'clock port was plugged with a brass plug that came out easily with a sheetrock screw and it lined up fine with the pulse port on the intake block. Sorry about coming in on tail end of this. Termite

It should get sealed up when the carb is installed , look at 08f150 cry baby thread:laugh:(something about bringing tears to is eyes) he started yesterday, he just did it and posted good pics

What do I keep the 170 intake boot on there still? Do I need to use the 250 gasket over top of it? Thanks for clarifying the modification.

That came out wrong . . . I didn't meant that in a derogatory way . . . I was just passing on what they said . . . they asked why I had put that carb on and I said I had heard about it on a forum.

I think I am just going to go pick the saw up and work on it some more myself . . . I definitely appreciate the help and comments on here otherwise I wouldn't ask.

No biggie. I can see you're frustrated. Hoping you get it all figured out. My 170 is one of my favorite saws, gets used more than any other. Please keep us updated on how the troubleshooting goes and if you can successfully swap those carbs.

Latest posts

Back