Need help with MS 170

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heres what I got this on a ms180 with a wt215
purynuge.jpg
udu9e6yn.jpg

Sent via the computer in my 562xp

Thanks for the effort, hopefully the OP will work it all out.

As a former shop owner, and also a tech that has worked for a lot of "Dealers", I understand the problems, reservations, etc, from all of the gang here.

If a customer brought in a saw, wanted a wrong carb, and asked me/us to "make it work", I wouldn't have gone there either.

Especially if I needed to drill a hole in the new carb that the customer brought me. I have always made a point to just repair/fix the unit to run like it was when new.

No mods at all.

Here is a pic of both sets of rods.

Shame we can't at least get a baseball cap out of our effort........

Maybe some worthless "rep" or "likes"..........

View attachment 294120

I can't rep ya yet, but I do like ya.. Is it 170-180 on the left and the 250 on the right? I did put some sealant in the unused pulse port I guess I'm kind of weird like that. Termite

As a former shop owner, and also a tech that has worked for a lot of "Dealers", I understand the problems, reservations, etc, from all of the gang here.

If a customer brought in a saw, wanted a wrong carb, and asked me/us to "make it work", I wouldn't have gone there either.

Especially if I needed to drill a hole in the new carb that the customer brought me. I have always made a point to just repair/fix the unit to run like it was when new.

No mods at all.

Thanks for putting up with me ....Fish did you notice the difference in the pulse port shapes? At 7 o'clock Revision on the carb maybe? .... Hopefully the op can work it out .......

I can't rep ya yet, but I do like ya.. Is it 170-180 on the left and the 250 on the right? I did put some sealant in the unused pulse port I guess I'm kind of weird like that. Termite

Yeah, there was an M O like that on Criminal Minds, and they are on to you.....

Did you get a A.S. hat though????????

Yeah, been helping folks here for years.

No hat yet either....I am getting tired, just tell the o.p.s to replace the bearings and seals, I guess............. Easier that way.........

Popping on a totally different carb should entail with the needed details though, as a tech, I would have handed back the saw and parts as well.

You want me to "WHAT???"

Take a wrong carb and "WHAT"????

Drill on this carb and "WHAT"???

Get smeared all over the internet?????

Here is a pic of both sets of rods.

Shame we can't at least get a baseball cap out of our effort........

Maybe some worthless "rep" or "likes"..........

View attachment 294120

Give me your address and I'll send you a hat . . . it might say world's best dad on it or something though . . .lol

No mods at all.

I agree with you completely . . . they just have no idea why people would ever do muffler mods and carb swaps . . . they think you should just buy it and leave it stock. Well I don't do that with anything . . . not my ATV's, vehicles, saws, etc. . .

I really do appreciate the help on here and I ended up picking up the saw from them yesterday and I went to work on it.

Here's what I did:
  • I took the bottom plate off of the carb
  • I took a pic and popped the brass plug out
  • reinstalled 215 carb and started tuning
  • got the saw to idle and has low end power
  • when you flog it the saw just bogs down and dies or almost shuts off
  • I took the stock carb all apart and cleaned everything
  • reinstalled stock carb
  • saw wouldn't run at all
  • reinstalled 215 carb and I am going to return to tuning that tonight
  • My son was able to watch all of Days of Thunder in the garage with me while occasionally riding his fourwheeler if that tells you how long I messed with it!

I might shoot some video of me working on it tonight just so you get an idea of how it is running and what it is doing.

Quickhorse , you can do this , the brass plug is on the face of the carb that mounts to the intake , you didn't take a plug out under the cover , did you? Termite

Quickhorse , you can do this , the brass plug is on the face of the carb that mounts to the intake , you didn't take a plug out under the cover , did you? Termite

No, i took the bottom cover off so I could push the brass plug out with a metal pick.

Ok....... but the plug was on the face of the carb at like 6 o'clock right? I didn't notice that you could get to it from the inside ,

Ok, I was I just a we bit concerned , on the bogging on top end have you adjusted the h needle yet?

Yes . . . i adjusted it through the whole spectrum with no luck . . . it got better towards the end but still not normal by any means . . . I'm going to start it up and let it idle for about 10 minutes tonight before I start messing with the jetting.

Latest posts

Back