Need help with MS362 issue...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't trust my compression tested either, I should have bought another in the weedeatermans last group buy.

Your saw is going to run as soon as you put new rings in. I can feel it.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk

I don't trust my compression tested either, I should have bought another in the weedeatermans last group buy.

Your saw is going to run as soon as you put new rings in. I can feel it.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk

I normally get quality tools, but at the time I purchased it I didn't really realize how often I'd be using the compression tester, nor did I really recognize how important it was to have a good compression reading. Lesson learned!

I am so glad I found this thread! The guys who are clearing the power line beside my house wanted me to look at one of these turds and guess what......... it was doing the exact same crap. Unfortunately I could not figure it out either and gave it back and the said they would just deal with it. They have since moved on but I still know where they are and will go get it, and fix it if you figure this out. Thank you for your persistence!

I am so glad I found this thread! The guys who are clearing the power line beside my house wanted me to look at one of these turds and guess what......... it was doing the exact same crap. Unfortunately I could not figure it out either and gave it back and the said they would just deal with it. They have since moved on but I still know where they are and will go get it, and fix it if you figure this out. Thank you for your persistence!

Well, stay tuned. I'll be picking the rings up this morning & with a little luck will have time to put it back together & test it out today...

Well, I got the rings today and had just enough time to get the saw put back together and make a few test cuts. I broke my own rule and didn't return the carb to factory settings or do a press/vac test after reassembling it, but I was in a hurry and just wanted to start it up.

I can't give a number since I don't know exactly how far off my compression gage is, but improving the ring gap from >.035" down to .009" increased the (non broken in) compression 20 psi higher than before. The saw started and ran pretty well. It had good throttle response. I made a few test cuts and was able to shut the saw off and restart it again. It's not perfect, but much better than it was before. I think I'll be able to get it dialed in with some carb tuning. I had messed with the tune quite a bit and also changed the metering lever height a bit. I have some gages to set metering lever height, but the Zama one is too old to include the set height for this carb, and unfortunately it isn't flush with the top face of the carb body.

I'm happy, but not satisfied, nor am I getting my hopes up. This saw has fooled me before by running well through a few test cuts only to completely let me down the next day when testing it again.

So, today was the first one yet that I would say progress was made, but I still need to make more....

Helps the rings seat. You should always scuff them so they don't glaze the new rings. Usually some 600 grit sandpaper does the trick. Others will say to lightly hone the cylinder. I try to never hone them unless they have bad scoring and I'm trying to clean them up.

I wouldn't worry too much about sanding a Nikasil coated cylinder. They don't tend to need deglazing like an old steel-sleeved or chrome lined cylinder. If the Nikasil is unblemished, it's good to go.

Back