Need help with new EPA problem saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokechase II

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Could a possible solution for this lean running/damage to modern saws be to put old rebuilt carbs on the newer saws.
Am I missing something or could it be as simple as putting an 044 carb on a MS440?
Thanks

I've put the older W194 three jet carbs on all the 026 and 260's, as we are up at 5500' to over 7000'. Having the adjustable "H" jet and doing the muffler mods allows them to breath better and avoid running to rich or too lean. We've done the same thing to 036/360 and 044's with good results.

this is assuming the carb even has adjustment screws for the H AND L jets. some of the ones I've dealt with, well they aint got that even, just a single adjusting screw, and it annoys the crap out of me.

Need to check on the particular saw but many of the newest batch are coming with much more adjustable friendly carbs. Still have limiters but they are going back to hi/lo adjustability. By switching to a current production carb when available you can minimize your headaches and remain polictically correct.

you all forgot to mention the mufflers on the new saws, which in the case of all the Stihl's are rediculously restrictive, which causes the saws to run hotter than before, and of course be gutless, compared to a few years ago. open 'em up, boys....and take back yer power!!

I'd like to slap a Walbro SDC on a Poulan 295.
They're trying to overcome the extra heat with this dura-chrome whoo-ee. Though, some-one flew by a few days ago claiming to have run one 8 hours on straight gas before killing it. Imagine something like that with a muffler mod and a real carb.

Just what you needed, a saw you constantly have to adjust forever.

Back