Need help with Stihl 084 saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CO_Woodman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all,

I own an 084 that has quit on me. No Spark.
After checking the obvious (Replaced spark plug, checked for spark on the lead wire (nope), checked the short & ground wires (Look good), checked connections for the wires (Look fine). Lead wire from coil looks fine. I am down to replacing the coil.

I have a picture of the flywheel and coil if you need it (Let me know)

So I see that after some lengthy googling and thread searching, these saws have had at least to styles of coil in the past. My current dead coil has two pickups and an internal trigger. I want to know if I replace the coil with a three pickup model...then what needs to be changed. (maybe move the keyway on the flywheel...to which position ?)

What is the part number(s) for the coil that I need ?
Also I need a source for a good used coil...any suggestions ?

Thanks

look at this attachment .. Three pick up is the only way to go.. The Three will bolt up the same way just need to rotate flywheel on crank..

Last edited:
I believe that if you are the original owner of the 084, the coil has a lifetime warranty from Stihl.

I would check first, though, as my "beliefs" can be a bit fuzzy at times.......:cheers:

Andy

Fantastic

That is absolutely fantastic.... Exactly what I needed to be able to fix the saw, and retain 'peace of mind'.

Your a champ.

Thanks.

I am not the original owner of the saw, this one came via Auction in my region, so I dont know about the history....but the outside, and what I can see of the inside (through the spark plug hole) looks fine.

Any suggestions for running this saw at high altitude (9000' - 11,000') ?

Thanks again guys.

hey I'll help ya out...

just send that 084 to me. I'm serious :D

I'm in the market for a reasonably priced 084

Please PM....

Back