Need input on drying firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have about 5 cord stacked along my fence line single town from anywhere of 3-6 months. Just emptied my wood rack out it’s 8’x8’x 8’. Would stacking the 5 cord I have now inthere and wrap clear plastic around the outside be fine to dry it out for next winter? It’s exposed to sun for most of the day and would leave a gap at the top on the sides to let some air out to cut back on dampness and most. Also. Floor is slotted so air can get under the wood rack?
Some pics would help us see what's going on too.

I built a hoop barn out of pvc and pallets and a tarp roof and my wood is super dry. Way dryer than when I used to tarp it. Cut in winter split in spring and by burning season it's real dry. The wood shed is the way to go. It allows for air circulation and cover. Also gets real warm in there in the summer.

@Mustang71 I was looking at doing a similar setup next to my boiler. Are your sides to the ground or are they open? Wood on pallets or on the ground?

Rounds get double rowed in the woods, on top of cull 4-6" branches. Free lumber covers go on top of those w/4" overhang on each side. Stacks are ~12' X 5' X 3'.

When dried or when time permits they get moved, split and stacked similar.

Ash maple oak beech cherry

@Mustang71 I was looking at doing a similar setup next to my boiler. Are your sides to the ground or are they open? Wood on pallets or on the ground?

I have wood pallet sides and I took posts that I had and I bought a couple chain link fence posts and pounded them in the ground between the pallets. Then I took my hilti gun and shot the pallets to the posts. I laid pallets on the ground and took 1 inch schedule 40 conduit and bent it for the hoops. I used metal 2 hole emt clips to attach the conduit to the pallets and ran a 2x4 down the middle of the hoop with a 2x4 to the ground in the center of the barn.

I built it 8 feet wide by 7 face cord deep which is typically what I burn a year. So that's 3 and a third cord stacked in it. It's been up 1 summer and 1 winter now and sheds snow real well.

20170528_201609.jpg

Latest posts

Back