Need more throw line.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Lately I have been using the 2.2 mm Zing-it for my work along with a roughly 11 oz shot pouch. For most of the work I do, the combo is great. This past weekend though I had to take a shot which required that 200 ft of throw line be launched. To get the height and distance I went down to an 8 oz shot bag. The 8 oz bag just didn't have enough weight to bring the 2.2 down through the canopy. The weight of the bag was great though for getting the height. Which throw line would you guys recommend for making shots with an 8 oz shot pouch between heights of about 75' - 120'?

I know that there are several choices out there for throw lines, that is why I am asking for your opinions.

Stick with Zing-it. In my eyes it is an industry standard. Go to the 1.75mm line to reach those higher tosses.

All I ever use is the 1.75 with an 8 oz weight.

love
nick

I prefer Rhino Line to Zing-It. It is a 2 mm line and, in my opinion, it definitely runs better than the 2.2mm Z-I and is at least as good as the 1.75mm Z-I. It is available from Sherrill in 150 and 200 foot lengths.

Again this is my opinion, but it seems that the popularity if Z-I is due more to the promotions and adds than to the performance of the product. Z-I is not a bad product (I have and use both diameters), but my first choice for versatility and performance is Rhino Line.

Mahk

Actually, I like the old Slick Line. Zing it is cool, and thats what I use, but in knots and gets tangles up in small twigs and weeds. I tried that Fly lite stuff, dont waste your money on that stuff, I have broken so many lines just pulling a rope up into a crotch. Talk about agrivation. The Thing I dont like about the Zing it is that if your throw ball isnt heavy enough the friction from the bark of a Maple or Cotton wood wont allow it to fall back down the crotch. I hate scoring a perfect crotch and not being able to let the throw ball descend. That is on my list of things that climbers hate.

Kenn:Monkey:

vote number four; 1.75 zi/8 oz bag. It does get caught on everthing on the ground, but learn to use a rake or set your line on a tarp. besides that, this line outperforms everything i've used.

Tom, on that harrison rocket, do you use the little strap/loop at the bottom to haul up a line? I have the Rocket and after just a week or two of use the haul loop started coming off. I was dissappointed in that.

Maybe fresco will hook me up with a new one.

love
nick

I also use the Rhino line with the Rocket(10oz)and prefer this to the Zing .I think it comes down to personal style and feel

I too think i would use the 1.75 zing it. however, why not consider a big shot??? This may allow you to use your current line/weight combo and still get the height you desire.

Originally posted by Tom Dunlap
Vote number three, with Leon and Nick.

1.75 mm with Harrison Rocket!

Tom

That is my vote too. I use that set up with an 8oz rocket on one end and a 10oz rocket on the other.

The are superior throwbags. They snag much less than a weaver, etc.

Nick, the stitching did the same on mine too. I really don't like the loop though.

My issue with the 1.75 is mine gets snagged all the time now. I suspect it is due to the fact it is 1.5 yrs old and too soft. Seems when it lost its stiffness, it now forms knots on itself easily.

Last edited:
I don't own any Rhino line but have used it and in my opinion it does work and run much better than the zing it. A ten oz bag is perfect. The trick is to hit your shot in the small crotch your plan to work out of. The line doesn't always run well through large wide crotches with the 10 oz bag. Also if you can't get the height with a 10 oz bag its not an 8 oz bag that your need. You need to stop eating meow mix for breakfast and throw that darn thing. I really don't want a crotch much higher than that. Who is gonnna see fine dead wood 100 feet up in a tree and is there any large 2" hazard deadwood usually 100 feet up? Anyway it is good to get up there for the rope angle and hide from everyone.

To clear up one issue, I do use a Big Shot.

RBwan offered me some 1.75mm plasma line, so I figure I will give that a shot. Something new at least.

throw line

u have been using the bucket for the last week, can u even throw that high any more 100feet.:confused:

Yeah I wouldn't cheat you. You think that bucket is makeing me soft? I just like to take the bucket so I have a radio to listen to.

Latest posts

Back