Need oiler parts for Craftsman (Roper)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heeb

Reaction score
My Dad (may he rest in peace) bequeathed me two Craftsman 3.7/18 model 917-353731 saws. They still run great but the oilers seem to have quit especially the thumb pump. Does anyone know where I can get the parts to fix them? I am a do-it-yourselfer but someone once told me that to fix them I would have to pull the saw completely apart which I guess means I would need extra gaskets and seals???? Anyone got any suggestions?

Did you try Sears? They have a parts online or you can call them and let them check. I don't know about chainsaw parts, but they had parts for my table saw made back in the 60's. I threw away a 3.7 craftsmen saw just like yours or I'd let you have it-

good luck

Heeb, go to www.sears.com and click on the tool section, then scroll down the page, and near the bottom on the left will be a link for parts. Click that, enter your model #, and it will have a listing of parts, and parts diagrams for your saw.

Jeremy

I doubt Sears still has the parts

Give them a try but I have never seen any parts available from them ater 10 years from end of production/sales

I have used parts for pretty much all the Sears saws excepting the David Bradleys....those are long gone

Craftsman 3.7

Heeb,
I have a manual for the saw and will look up the part number for you. You might also consider two things:
1) there are a couple of parts saws on ebay that you could cannibalize for the parts you need.
2) An oil pump is fairly basic. It may be clogged and you could consider running some WD40 through the tank to dissolve the gunk. If the saw has been setting, it may have some sludge in the pump feed line.

Good luck
Art :chainsaw:

3.7 oiler parts

Heeb,
I looked up the parts in my manual this morning and as it turns out, your pump is not a gear drive, but a diaphragm type pump. so the parts and access appear to be simple and straight forward. Here is a list of the parts:

#37 2211J Metering Stem
#38 9962R Diaphragm Gasket
#39 9974R Diaphragm Spring
#40 643A69 Diaphragm Assembly
#41 1735J Oil Pump Cover

It appears that the oil pump assembly is located directly beneath the Metering Stem, which is on the top left front case if you are looking from the bar side of the saw. You should be able to remove the chain guard and pop the oil pump cover and easily inspect the diaphragm to see if it has rotted, or been torn. Also, you might remove the metering stem and spray WD40 into the hole to dislodge any sludge.

Good luck
Art :chainsaw:

Back