Need opinions for top plate angle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihl025

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Need some suggestions for top plate angles for a round chisel chain used for the fire dept. We mainly use it in cold (snow, frozen), wet, or otherwise inclimate weather to clear trees off roadways, etc. I researched the previous posts with little help (maybe I am not using the right keywords?) and have read the info on the Madsen's site. Stihl saw chain appears to have about 30 degrees top plate angle according to the scribed marking on the heads. Madsens recommends 15 to 20 degree top plate angles. Does someone have any suggestions for a good all around angle and why?

Top plate angles are designated by the manufacturer for their brand and type of chain. That is what it has been engineered for to give optimum cutting performance.
You need to ask, what chain is best for my application, cutter type, angles. etc ? ...and then maintain that chain as per the manufaturer's instructions.

Stihl recommends 30, Oregon recommneds 25......Basically it comes down to what you are cutting. Less angle is good in hard or frozen woods. More angle is good in softwoods. Just for a reference, my ripping chains are filed at 5.

In the final analysis, top plate angle is almost inconsequential as long as all other cutters are the same.

What is to be strived for is uniformity for all cutters.

What's more important is that gullets are cleaned out, rakers are all the same and that you haven't created an exaggerated hook.

Whether TP angle is 15 degrees or 35 degrees means nothing if the cutters are duller than a hoe and even if they are sharp you probably won't notice much difference.

But to answer your question, strive for 25 degrees in your efforts to get all cutters equal.

It sounds like you're cutting alot of abrasive stuff and the saws are handed around alot from one operator to another. In view of that, I'd strive for higher rakers like 20 thou. to mitigate damage to the cutters.

Dull is still dull regardless of angles, so keep practicing and have fun and be safe.
John

Latest posts

Back