Need opinions on new splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiterooster

Reaction score
I am about to purchase a new splitter. I have an owb and most of the wood I do not split. I usually only need to split the larger (>24") oak pieces to make them lighter to put in the burner. I have been looking at a few and would like some feedback on them. Here are the ones I found locally:
Wallenstein 540x- 5.5hp honda engine, seems built well
American splitter 22 tonwith 5.5 honda engine, almost seems overbuilt and the working height is much higher than the others?
Brave industries 22 ton with 5.5 honda engine.
Cub cadet 33 ton with kohler 8.5 engine
Tractor supply Huskee brand.

I have been leaning away from huskee for quality reasons (maybe i shouldnt be). I want a splitter that will last the rest of my life. budget is around $2500. The wallenstein, brave, and american all have the same engine and gpm pump. I am not sure i like the increased working height of the american, the larger logs will be split vertical anyways. the wallensteins has a cradle which i can weld on to any of the others. the brave is $500 less than the first two as well. I am not really crazy about a cub cadet splitter but I am sure it is made by someone else.

any thoughts would be appreciated. Would the 22 ton models be able to split what I want to (24-30" oak/ash) or should I be looking at ones with larger tonnage?

thanks

Check out Omni mfg. online.you can get a 35 ton Speeco for 1800$ delivered.It will split almost anything, and what it won't split it shears apart.Good machine.

I don't have experience with most of the splitters you have listed. However, I have used, some friends of my own, and there are many reviews/opinions of the huskee on this site; I would not worry about the quality, everything I have seen and experienced, they are pretty well built. Made by Speeco.

I have recently purchased a Huskee 22t and I couldn't be happier with it. I also have a lot of time behind a friends 34t huskee that has split 40+ cords a year for ten years. The Huskees are made by Speeco, a company with a good reputation on this site.

While bigger is almost always better, I can say that my 22t huskee has only failed to split one piece of wood in over ten cords. It was a 30" pinoak crotch with three laterals coming out of it that were 12"+ each. Even the 34t probably would have struggled with that and you would've had a mangled mess by the time you were done. It was even hard to quarter with the chainsaw! I had no problem with the 40" stump though. 22t will probably be plenty for what you need to do, but don't let anyone talk you out of buying more tool than you really need.

For as little as you're going to be using a splitter, why don't you get a 70/80cc saw and just noodle the big rounds in half. It would definitely save you some money. If you have one already, then you don't have to fork out any cash. A 24" plus round is quite a bit of work on a splitter, even vertically (which I can't stand using them that way). Just seems to me you're putting a lot of money into something you'll use occasionally and a saw would be easier and quicker.

Gotta recommend the Speeco from Omni-mfg.com! Speeco makes the Huskees that TSC sells but when you get the Speeco brand you get to deal with Speeco's EXCELLENT customer service (if you should ever need it, that is!) instead of the people at TSC which from what has been posted on this and other forums is somewhat lacking. PLus Speeco has more layout/design options (motor placement, etc) than the Huskee brand.

I have used the Brave splitters and they are great machines as well, but you can get a bigger, more powerful splitter that will stand up against the Brave any day of the week for alot less through Omni! Give Rock at Omni a call.

Hey, welcome to AS

Are all the splitters you're looking at moving wedge, Horizontal / Vertical designs?

Of the machines you're considering the American would be my pick. It's built as a true commercial level splitter with quality hydraulics and a tie rod cylinder. The quality of the steel is certainly better in the American than the Chinese garbage they pass off as steel. Not certain but the American also has larger tires. Makes the splitter much easier to move whether towing or by hand over uneven ground. If it's within the budget I'd go that route.

Tonnage isn't everything. My TW-2HD is rated at 20 tons. Even with a 4 way wedge mounted I find only the ugliest of the ugly will stall the ram. Without the 4 way it eats anything.

Wedge height is important too. The taller / higher the wedge the better the splitter will handle the large diameter rounds.

Remember when looking at Honda motors, there are different models. The GX series is a true commercial grade small engine designed for thousands of hours of run time with proper maintenance. The GC series motors, while they carry the Honda name are not even close to quality or expected life span of the GX motors.

Remember, you're the one using the machine so your opinion and likes outweighs all others.

Take Care

If you're not going to use it much, would it not make more sense to rent one? That's what I do, I only burn 6-7 cords and really can't justify buying one when for less than $100 year I can split all my wood and have nothing to maintain or worry about.

My 2 cents.:msp_smile:

splitter

I bought an American splitter for several reasons. 1. large tires makes it easy to tow/move by hand. 2. The engine is located high on the splitter and in the rear. I have worked with other splitters with engines mounted low on the side and have accidentally had large quarter rounds fall on the engine. I used to rent the splitter that I bought, I paid 2k, it runs like a champ. Now a days I only use it to "fine" split my firewood (this keeps it more uniform for my customers) My friend lets me use his TW6 with lift and conveyor to split the big stuff, up to 50". He bought a diesel powered wood processor with conveyor. He buys and processes 100's of cords, I get paid to cut down trees, wood is a by product for me and sell about 50 cord/year. I'm envious of his wood processor and he is envious of all my free wood. Go figure!

This isn't even a hard choice.

Buy the American. It's 10x the splitter vs the others. And working height is KEY. Don't wanna be slightly bent over the dang thing for hours, wanna be standing up straight. I always put my lil mighty merc up on a couple car ramps for the ideal working height.

Buy the AMERICAN.

You have deep pockets so, even though you really have not much need for a high dollar splitter, look at the Iron and Oak.
But don't sell the Huskees short. They are one of the most popular splitters among members of this board.
Cub Cadets and their clones, Troy Bilt and MTD/Yard Machines, et al, have mixed reviews.

This isn't even a hard choice.

Buy the American. It's 10x the splitter vs the others. And working height is KEY. Don't wanna be slightly bent over the dang thing for hours, wanna be standing up straight. I always put my lil mighty merc up on a couple car ramps for the ideal working height.

Buy the AMERICAN.

PLUS 10 on the american cls, they used to be made about 5 inutes from my work at Ft Drum NY, They are top notch materials, excellent customer service.. well designed and have endless options. Layout is open and designed for easy access to maintain the machine.

Actually buily a copy of one for a family member, made some slight tweaks to it for his use, would have bought it direct, but alreadyy gathered most parts cheap on ebay. Should have kept that one instead of making another( now trouble shooting it as it isnt working to expectations).

You may find one used,a s they willlast for ever with routine maintenance. look for honda gx power, 4 way wedge backer, and log pans. log lift if you need it, but the basic layout on them all is the same so a log lift could be added later.

Good luck

thanks for the input so far. I dont want to rent a splitter anymore. For the past few years i would save up my wood that needs split and rent one, I want one here all the time. So is the general consensus that a higher splitter working height is better? The american is much higher than the others, I thought I might get sick of lifting the wood up that high, the lower bed height I wouldnt have to lift as high. The american is definately built heavier than the others. Interesting that the one I am looking at only has 8" tires.

I have it narrowed down to the brave and american. The brave is $500 less, same motor, same gpm pump, same tonnage. The american i think has a larger oil tank and the bed is higher are the only 2 main differences.

thanks for the input so far. I dont want to rent a splitter anymore. For the past few years i would save up my wood that needs split and rent one, I want one here all the time. So is the general consensus that a higher splitter working height is better? The american is much higher than the others, I thought I might get sick of lifting the wood up that high, the lower bed height I wouldnt have to lift as high. The american is definately built heavier than the others. Interesting that the one I am looking at only has 8" tires.

I have it narrowed down to the brave and american. The brave is $500 less, same motor, same gpm pump, same tonnage. The american i think has a larger oil tank and the bed is higher are the only 2 main differences.

At the end of the day your back will thank you for not being bent over at a 30* angle for 3 cords worth of wood. FAR better to lift the rounds up another 6" because that is temporary where being slightly bent over for hours isn't.

I assume the brave is this model?

"Brave 15 Ton PCLS1509 Horizontal Log Splitter"

And the American is this one?

MODEL AM-25H - Log Splitter
The AM-25H logsplitter is built to last a lifetime and is a favorite of the rental industry|
The standard equipment on this log splitter includes a reliable 8 hp Briggs & Stratton motor, 16 G.P.M. pump, large hydraulic reservoir, heavy duty 6" frame, 24" x 4" x 2" cylinder. 8" highway tires, bolt on log cradle and auto rerun.

Buy the American.

If I were to buy a splitter based on the research I've done, there is no doubt I would get an American.

Posted on Tapatalk from my Evo Shift

I would go with the larger tank.A lot of people don't consider the oil tank, but it is as important as all the other hydraulic components.Not enough oil, the oil heats up faster and doesn't have time to cool off.Oil starts breaking down, gumming up the valve, and eating up hoses.Excessive heat will also shorten the life of the seals on the cylinder and the hoses.In my opinion, none of the $2000 range splitters has a big enough oil tank.I think the rule of thumb is the tank should hold whatever the gpm of the pump is.So a 16 gpm pump should have a 16 gal. tank.
As far as table height, you can always rig a lift for that.I would certainly rather stand up straight than be hunched over all day.Good luck.I still like my Speeco, but to each his own.

Back