Need some help diagnosing an old Homelite EZ

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ng500

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I acquired an older blue and white Homellite EZ chainsaw for free. The saw is pretty clean for its age so I thought it might be fun to tinker with. The saw did not run when I got it, but I have got it running....somewhat. It will run and idle fine for about 1-2 minutes and then dies. Once warm it will not restart. It will occasionally fire, but will not run. I have done or checked the following:

Fresh gas
Cleaned sawdust from around coil and cooling fins.
Rebuilt Carb
New Spark Plug gapped at .025
Fuel lines and filter are not clogged and are in good shape
Fuel cap is venting properly.
Compression is 120 psi with engine cold and warm
I still get spark at the plug after it warms up
The points were not in the best shape, I cleaned / gapped them. One issue is that brass retaining pin that holds the points in place does not hold them that securely making it difficult to set gap properly.
Removed muffler to check piston and cylinder wall for burning /scoring. Non visible.

Any ideas on the problem? Ignition Problem? Crankcase seals?

Any advice is much appreciated.

I know you said that your still getting spark when it's hot, but my guess would be the coil..
i wouldn't think it would be crank seals if it idles good with the carb properly adjusted.
you may be getting spark when it's hot, but not good spark?

I think the little blue/white EZ was only available as only EZ. The red/white was available as regular and super. Super was a few cc bigger.

The problem ended up being ignition related. Coil and condenser seem to be ok. The problem has to do with the points and pivot pin that holds them in their proper position. Long story short, the saw is now running now. I will try to post some pics in day or two that will illustrate the problem.

If it would work, I was thinking of installing an ignition chip to eliminate the problem for good since the coil seems to be ok. Do the units like the ones in the link below hold up OK?

31-8786 - Nova II (new improved smaller size) | Small Engine Parts | MFG Supply
ECHO IGNITION CHIP, REPLACE POINTS & CONDENSER

The problem ended up being ignition related. Coil and condenser seem to be ok. The problem has to do with the points and pivot pin that holds them in their proper position. Long story short, the saw is now running now. I will try to post some pics in day or two that will illustrate the problem.

If it would work, I was thinking of installing an ignition chip to eliminate the problem for good since the coil seems to be ok. Do the units like the ones in the link below hold up OK?

I hope so...that's what's in mine. I bought three more Homelite EZ saws today so I may be posting my problems on here soon...

We've had awesome luck with them over the years. All my personal saws with points get one.

We've had awesome luck with them over the years. All my personal saws with points get one.

Back