need some help dropping them where I want them

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quite an afternoon with OlsenofAlaska. I dropped three trees under his tutelage with wedges, worth about half a cord each. We worked one of the stumps over a little bit, he showing me how he would take down the leaning-est spruce in "my" stand that is leaning the wrong way. I'll leave that one for last to have the least chance of hanging it up in anything, if I have to tote it, I'll tote it.

I learned a bunch. One of the things I did when I got home was pull the log turning hook off my new felling lever. Worthless with a 4' Peavey already in the truck. I am seeing the lever as about as useful as a five inch felling wedge. Also kind of nice to have it around if all four of the wedges I bought are buried in the same tree and it still isn't over - for my hail Mary I can wiggle the lever in there and give it a last shove. I still want a felling lever tip on the empty end of my Peavey - one of my kids is in the welding program at the local college so I got a chance on getting one in a few months.

Looking forward to slowp's video, but getting late for me here tonight.

Thanks again Mr. Olsen.

just exposes your ignorance.

Actually, it "exposes" my ability to read a simple, direct question and provide a simple, direct answer. Uncle Moustache's question was about the use of wedges and their effect on the direction of fall as opposed to the effect of the "notch". I replied to his question. Had he asked about all of the factors that might possibly affect the line of fall, my answer would have been very different.

Actually, it "exposes" my ability to read a simple, direct question and provide a simple, direct answer. Uncle Moustache's question was about the use of wedges and their effect on the direction of fall as opposed to the effect of the "notch". I replied to his question. Had he asked about all of the factors that might possibly affect the line of fall, my answer would have been very different.

The problem is a simple question does not always warrant a simple answer.

Stating as bold fact that a notch or face cut absolutely decides the the tree will only go 1 of 2 ways, can and will get someone killed, thereby exposing your ignorance.

Besides wedges give you lift to force the tree in one direction, hopefully where you want it... or in the case of bucking to prevent the bar from being pinched.

The idea of sticking the wedge in the back cut as soon as you have room is so if or when a tree sits back your not up the creek and have to pull a rookie move and grab another saw or pull the power head off and leave it to kill some innocent jerk that just happens to be traipsing by.

Latest posts

Back