Need some help ID'ing this tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retoid

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Sorry if this isn't the correct spot to post up for needed ID'ing of tree's I searched but didnt find much.

Is anyone able to help me ID this tree? I'm having trouble figuring it out. The leaves look to be similar to birch and alder but this is no birch or alder to my knowledge.

Thanks

4764209031_8462913e4c.jpg

4764845820_12cdc0c982.jpg

4764846694_a9582388e3.jpg

4764211029_2e0cb4358c.jpg

I don't think that's it either, so far I have not seen it produce any fruit/flowers and the sweet birch leaves are spaced further away than this tree.
The bark does not match either.

Ash has a compound leaf and the individual leaves are opposite instead of alternating. They actually look like a type of elm. Elm are sawtooth and alternating. I don't think it is though.

Yeah, i've checked all those types and none match, some are close but nothing definite. Also the tree has not yet shown any signs of fruit, I would assume that if it were going to produce fruit it would have already started growing a bit.

The fruit is going to be the number one method of ID'ing your tree.

Well yes, this is why it's so difficult to ID. I will keep an eye on it and look for fruit but, we just hit our peak in temperature highs here, it won't last long. All deciduous tree's here have produced their leaves and fruit and have begun maturing. So I am not convinced this tree will produce any fruit :/

Is there an old flush cut stump in the middle of that clump? The leaves remind me of one of the elms.

It seems like it from the way it's growing with a bunch of smaller branches spread out from the bottom. I am not sure though. When I get off work today I will take some more pictures and take a look, I'll post them up here later on.

Thanks guys.

I am leaning on elm as well.

Found this image in google search for elm.
24570-004-7B1A14BB.jpg

slippery-elm-bark-w200-h200.jpg

Possibly a Slippery/Red Elm

red%20elm%20leaf%201.jpg

Last edited:
The unequilateral base makes me guess elm. If it is an elm, it will either already have fruited (spring) or will fruit late summer or early fall.

Also feel the leaves, if sandpapery or rough above, you could say Slippery Elm. If smooth above, could be American or another elm.

Last edited:
I was playing around with some elm today and I would say I'm about 90% sure that is what it is. The new growth suckers on the trees I was cutting really looked like the first close up pick. A better pic of the canopy would confirm it for me I think.

Bark on elms can be really different I've found too. I've seen trees less than 20' away of similar size and the bark looks completely different, but the leaves are the same.

Slippery Elm will have a mucusy membrane under the bark, hence slippery elm.

Cut some decent pieces, leave them in the sun to dry and if it smells like a sweaty horse, its elm!

Based on the leaves and bark, I'm going to go out on a limb and say Allegheny Chinkapin. Only trouble is, it's not native to WA - only Southeast and West to Texas. Should have flowers and nuts similar to chestnut.

Last edited:
I don't know about any elms that might be native to that region, but the elm here in New England...well, the proof is in the splitting. Buck up a round and whack with a maul. Damn twisty-stringy grain makes it quite the chore to split.

The inequilateral base makes me guess elm. If it is an elm, it will either already have fruited (spring) or will fruit late summer or early fall.

Also feel the leaves, if sandpapery or rough above, you could say Slippery Elm. If smooth above, could be American or another elm.

That is a great give-away for an elm. The base of the leaf has unequal sides. Another good feature to look at are the veins of the leaves, they split off the center vein like a feather (pinnately) and end in the tip of the leaf serration.

The leaves you posted are more than likely an elm. I am going to go out on a limb and say you have an English elm also called a smoothleaf elm (Ulmus minor or procera). They were planted as ornamentals before the DED killed most. It could be another elm, just my best guess without seeing it in person. If you can find a flower in the spring (usually around tax day for elms) it will be easier to ID.

:cheers:

Latest posts

Back