Need some help ID'ing this tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know about any elms that might be native to that region, but the elm here in New England...well, the proof is in the splitting. Buck up a round and whack with a maul. Damn twisty-stringy grain makes it quite the chore to split.

Yep on the splitting PITA for elm, but great for woodburning!

Like PB said, I know that a lot of elms were planted as ornamentals for a long time before Dutch Elm got them back in the 50s and 60s. Possibly that tree was a hold out because elm is not native for that region or there are some dutch elm reisistant strains. Dutch elm does not kill the tree every time either. I cut about a dozen last fall that had finally succumed to DED that were 36-48" DBH range. They showed signs of earlier attacks and healing.

Yep on the splitting PITA for elm, but great for woodburning!

Like PB said, I know that a lot of elms were planted as ornamentals for a long time before Dutch Elm got them back in the 50s and 60s. Possibly that tree was a hold out because elm is not native for that region or there are some dutch elm reisistant strains. Dutch elm does not kill the tree every time either. I cut about a dozen last fall that had finally succumed to DED that were 36-48" DBH range. They showed signs of earlier attacks and healing.

They were the ideal streetscape tree. Big, beautiful crown with few or no lower branches to impede the view of storefronts.

As a result of DED, there are a lot of elmless Elm streets these days.

Indeed, good firewood. Really expemplifies the idea that firewood warms you twice - first when splitting, second when burning!

They were the ideal streetscape tree. Big, beautiful crown with few or no lower branches to impede the view of storefronts.

As a result of DED, there are a lot of elmless Elm streets these days.

I've read that Milwaukee and surrounding suburbs lost something like 10,000 trees practically overnight. Streets once completely lined with Elm canopy where suddenly tree less. DED is coming back in a big way around here too. I've noticed something like a 70% die off over the last 3 or 4 years. They are everywhere.

It looks the same is going to happen around here with Ash trees. In the town closest to me there are 3500 Ash trees on city property and who knows how many on private property. EAB has been found downtown and in surrounding towns already. Its just a matter of time.

This photo is what a boulevard of elm trees used to look like. Believe it or not South Minneapolis still has streets that look like this. They really went all out to save the trees and many are still making it. I think I read the city still has 100,000 surviving elms. They are losing a bunch each year, but they are trying their best to save them.

urbantreecanopy-1.jpg

Minneapolis%20elms%202007.jpg

Alot of interesting information here.

Sorry for not getting new pics up, there was no stump in the middle. It's gotta be a slippery elm, the leaves have a coarse feel to them and there is also some sap.
I'll be trimming/removing most of the smaller branches that are spreading from the base to clear up some yard space and for a little extra firewood.

Back