Need some help on 460 with BB kit.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaseyForrest

I am NOT a tree freak.
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Ive been in touch with the guy that bought the 460 with the Baileys BB kit. Lately hes been having trouble keeping it running. I copied this from an Email he sent.......

Kris,

I got the 460 out today to get a feel for what makes it die.
I topped off the fuel and cut for about 5-7 minutes. I could tell when I
throttled down out of the cut that below 3/4 throttle it was going to die. I
kept it running and cutting. It died on decel. It will not die at working
throttle.

I opened the fuel cap and heard nothing. hard to start, ran bad for a minute
than took off. Ran great for another 3+ or - minutes. I had no warning, let
off the throttle bang it died. The first time I could tell it was loosing
rpm to fast. Restarted again. I was out of time so I put it up. I think
tomorow I will either trade the vents out with the 440 that runs well or
just run the tip of my pick thourh the vent on the 460 and see what that
does. At the very least I can open the fuel cap every 2 or 3 cuts.

I doen't know if I have given you any clues or not. I was trying to note
more spacifics about when it dies.

thanks
Greg

His first email made it sound like the Tank Vent. But this one sounds like maybe the low side is too rich????

Yeah, it kinda does sound like a tank vent, but the fact that he said it won't die at full revs makes me question the vent for obvious reasons. If it had too rich of a low jet, that problem shouldn't show up until the RPMs got a lot lower. Since he said he felt it would die below 3/4 throttle out of the cut, I'd think that's well out of low jet land. I had a similar problem with my 044 when I first got it, (the reason the guy sold it) and the way I fixed it was to swap the POS Zama that the guy's buddy had just rebuilt for a Walbro, and the saw ran like a champ. Not sure what was wrong with the carb, the saw was stalling from being too rich, but I never did look into the carb. Come to think of it, I had a Forest Service 044 with the same problem and gave it the same fix. Not that any of my ramblings really helped the cause any.

His First Email said it seemed like the saw was running out of gas, thats why I expected the tank vent. I did not get to run it much after I rebuilt it, I guess I should have.

I did rebuild the carb, even had to drill out the .66 jet to .70. Maybe my rebuild isnt cutting the mustard?

Is your tank vent the tube with the nob on the end, or is it the small white circular plastic type with the white foam-like material inside?

Tank testing is dead easy if you have a vacuum pump. I had an 044 for service that has "had problems since new". Even had a new carb at some point. Problem was the tank vent -the plastic had closed off the three tiny holes in the tank (under the vent cover). Held .04 bar vacuum for 5 minutes... It should bleed off in seconds.

Lake, I dont have the saw anymore. I believe it it did not have any tube, and was black with 5 or 6 individual holes on the top. What ever comes on a new tank housing for a 460.

Does the issue Greg is referring to sound like the vent may be the culprit? I told him next time it happend, loosen the cap, and then tighten it back up and if the saw runs good for a few minutes, then it may be the vent. But if it runs fine full throttle, and wants to die when he lets off the trigger, what could it be??? Low side to lean or too rich?

Thanks for your insight on the problem Tree.

You see, remember back to the Ebay thread, Im STILL in contact with the guy that bought that saw. Its been working flawlessly untill this popped up. I am under no obligation to help him out, and it would be easier to write him off.

Its called character, to go above and beyond. Lets us know when you find some. Otherwise, theres no need for your inflammatory comments.

CaseyForrest,

Outstanding! The world needs more folks like you and less of the other
type! Nice to see decent folks still exist!

:cheers:

CaseyForrest said:

You see, remember back to the Ebay thread, Im STILL in contact with the guy that bought that saw. Its been working flawlessly untill this popped up. I am under no obligation to help him out, and it would be easier to write him off.

Its called character, to go above and beyond. Lets us know when you find some. Otherwise, theres no need for your inflammatory comments.
So he didn't leave you feedback yet, hey? :hmm3grin2orange:

Ahhh...you got me there Mike!!

No, he left feedback.

The saw has been running very well since he got it, what, almost 2 months ago. But it makes me feel better standing behind something I sold.

CaseyForrest said:
Lake, I dont have the saw anymore. I believe it it did not have any tube, and was black with 5 or 6 individual holes on the top. What ever comes on a new tank housing for a 460.

Does the issue Greg is referring to sound like the vent may be the culprit? I told him next time it happend, loosen the cap, and then tighten it back up and if the saw runs good for a few minutes, then it may be the vent. But if it runs fine full throttle, and wants to die when he lets off the trigger, what could it be??? Low side to lean or too rich?

Yes, it could be the vent but the type of vent you describe rarely has problems.

CaseyForrest said:

Casey, you have character and I'm glad I know you.Sea Ya Oct 7th.,
Mark

Hey, CF you might lead that guy to AS for info and help too. That way he can just ask here like I had to back when. Learned alot since joining AS.
Also just for your guys gtg in MI. There is a big Ohio lumberjack event going on the same weekend for 3 days, fri,sat,sun. So the pros racers from your area prob are not going to make it. They have one day for legends in hotsaws, somebody said 85 signed up for hotsaws for the 3 days.

Cut4fun said:
Hey, CF you might lead that guy to AS for info and help too. That way he can just ask here like I had to back when. Learned alot since joining AS.
Also just for your guys gtg in MI. There is a big Ohio lumberjack event going on the same weekend for 3 days, fri,sat,sun. So the pros racers from your area prob are not going to make it. They have one day for legends in hotsaws, somebody said 85 signed up for hotsaws for the 3 days.
Yes, I talked to Rick Helsel and he said he probably would go to Ohio but he said that E.J. McNamara was coming to our event. I talked to Cliff Helsel today and he told me how E.J. was kickin some azz in the U.P. We will have a good time no matter.
Mark

Cut4fun said:

I dont know why that didnt occur to me!!! Ill pass this site along to him.

Latest posts

Back