Need some help on my new to me MS260

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before you go doing anything really drastic like getting a new carb, this sounds like a lean condition on the low speed. You said your saw hesitated when throttled up and didn't idle for long. That is a classic low speed lean symptom. I would open the low speed jet a bit. The saw may idle and accelerate correctly with this simple adjustment. You will probably have to adjust the LA screw as well.

Bob

that is a symptom of a bad crank seal in these saws. they will idle and slowly die. ask dr saw.......

that is a symptom of a bad crank seal in these saws. they will idle and slowly die. ask dr saw.......

Oh yes it could be a bad crank seal for sure. I won't argue that. But when diagnosing saw probs., I would rule out the simple things first.

A saw that idles poorly, (like it is surging and not hitting strongly on each revolution) and dies is a sign of a poorly tuned carb as well as a leaky crank seal, plugged gas filter, gummed up carb,,,,,and other things. (Who is to know if the saw ran properly before it was laid up in the first place?)

When I start a saw, and it doesn't idle nicely and hesitates to rev up, it is an automatic thing to richen up the low speed before doing anything else.

I suggested that the OP try it before going deeper into the problem. If it doesn't work, well then check on the things that cost more than applying a screwdriver to the low speed jet.

Bob

wendall u r going to have invest in a vac pressure tool. its the only way ull no if u have bad seals or not good luck on ur saw

Thanks to everyone for your help. It turned out to just be a tuning issue and with the help of mweba, we were able to get it sorted out. Saw now starts and runs fine.

Back