Need some Husky help!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawinredneck

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Everything that could have gone wrong, did today!!! Did a removal of a Pine tree, showed up wit the 192 and 262, topped it, went to drop it. 262 would not start, not for anything, had to come home and get my 350 to finish after burning 3 chains stumping it. Dropped it with the 192, don't ever do that!!!! (20' tree):bang:
Anyway, got home, finally, and looked at the saw, no fire. None, I am hopping it's just the switch, but afraid the coil went tits up!
Is there a comon failure on these saws, the switch or coil? About how much, and more importantly, how hard are they to find?
Thanks,
Andy

No fire

Sawinred,
Before you get out your check book, how about changing the spark plug? Have you disconnected the kill switch? I like to start at the cheapest level and work my way through. An Ohm meter will tell you if the switch is bad. Is their a chance that a small furry critter may have had a snack on the wiring?It has been known to happen, Ken

Don't think I haven't thought of that Ultra!!!!
No I really do like the ole girl, lots of balls for no more than she weighs, and until today, runs great! Then you figure right now, I have around $165 in her, I can spend some and not be hurt to bad, as long as she stays runnig for a while!!!
Andy

Way ahead of you Ken, tried a new plug already, planed on just disconecting the kill switch and checking tomorow, too tired tonight!!! Just trying to put out some feelers, there is so much friggin info on this site, these jokers usually know what is wrong before I can type it in!!! I thought there might be some common problems that reguarly occur that I might need to know about.
Andy

It's funny how electronic coils just up and die...

You can be cutting, mowing, trimming, blowing, and poof...done.

Ive had quite a few small briggs that were running, and wouldnt restart after being shut off...always the coil.

On the other hand, Ive never had a points ignition just up and fail on me. They always give some sort of warning..hard to start, or it pops, or has no power.

I like points myself, I know alot of people dont care for em though.

You should just chuck the thing in the dumpster, and go out and buy a Poulan Wild Thing...:biggrinbounce2:

:jester::cheers:

Have you removed the coil, and sanded where it mounts? Ive seen that fix a no fire before.

04ultra said:
Time to buy a...You guessed it..so I dont have to say it...

Dude, your so right, get an old Homie!:cheers:

If for any reason the bugger dosent want to start, (and this is unlikely) its rugged enough to double as a hatchet!

RaisedByWolves said:
Dude, your so right, get an old Homie!:cheers:

If for any reason the bugger dosent want to start, (and this is unlikely) its rugged enough to double as a hatchet!

Ill 2nd that.

WELP........................ I need a coil, plain and simple!!! The coil wire is worn through in about eight places, probably didn't help hold it together any better, LOL. Soooooo............ is this going to be a bear to find, or fairly common and I can get at a dealer easily? Sorry, not that famieler with Husky parts, and really not sure how old it really is.
Andy

sawinredneck said:
WELP........................ I need a coil, plain and simple!!! The coil wire is worn through in about eight places, probably didn't help hold it together any better, LOL. Soooooo............ is this going to be a bear to find, or fairly common and I can get at a dealer easily? Sorry, not that famieler with Husky parts, and really not sure how old it really is.
Andy
If you need only the spark wire,you can unscrew it and replace only the wire.

I wish, I think the wire as the demise of the coil. I think it shorted out and weakend the coil. The coil is DEAD!!! Nice thought though, and I had thought of it myself LOL!
Andy

Huskys are the easiest saws to look up part numbers for, when they are a few years old.

There is a series of 262 IPLs at Huskys web-site.

The serial number on your saw will help you find out which one applies to it.

Well, an hour on the phone, 45 min. of drive time, rush hour across town, and $53 latter, it's alive!! New coil, wire and end.
And, just for TopJimmy, the place on West st only has 3 540 Dolmars, I looked just for you:D
Andy

Thanks Andy,

I was there today. I picked up a clearing saw blade last week, but got the wrong size hole. I traded for the right one today. I have been wanting to try a Windsor blade, but the dealer locate was no help. I was pleasantly surprised when I went in last week and they had the Windsor blade in stock! Now if they will start keeping the Dolmars I will have a reason to stop by and drool a little. Look at those Dolmars before you pick them up and make sure that they do not have any slobber on them.:hmm3grin2orange:

Fair enough!!!!! They did have a 7*** series in there last time, but no such luck today, wasn't too impressed with the 540's at all!!!
You don't happen to drive a 95ish brown chevy with a matching topper and wear an "Indiana Jones" hat do you?
Andy

No, that was not me. Funny you ask. I did look around to see if by some chance you were there and I could recognize you from you pic. Now I am trying to remember if that truck was there when I was. I think I saw a guy in a hat like that, he had an Lear Jet badge around his neck. I was there around 11:15. I drive a White crew cab F350. That would have been funny if we ran into each other there.

Jim

Latest posts

Back