Need some more transfer port understanding

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juttree

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I know that every cylinder is different and there is not really one answer but as far as terminology goes, I question myself.
The term "raise the transfers", is that in numbers on the degree wheel? If looking down into the upside down cylinder, would that be grinding the lowest or furthest down part of the transfer? Do you ever grind the top and bottom of the upper transfers?
It's a little hard to explain but hopefully someone can clear this up for me.

You are raising the height of the upper transfer windows. Which is increasing duration and time area. If you're not using duration and using port opening after top dead center your number will become lower when the height in increased

Yeah, raising the transfers you will be grinding the lowest part of the port when looking down into the cylinder or the edge closest to the cylinder head. hope that's clear.

Yeah, raising the transfers you will be grinding the lowest part of the port when looking down into the cylinder or the edge closest to the cylinder head. hope that's clear.
Is there any time that you would grind on the other side of the transfers or is it always the bottom (technically the top) of it?

Is there any time that you would grind on the other side of the transfers or is it always the bottom (technically the top) of it?
When you need time area or you simply don't have any bits that won't touch top and bottom of the port.

Well while I'm asking, how about widening, will you only widen one side or the other or always both?
It's really going to depend on what you're looking for. There's way too many factors to try to give you a cookie cutter "this is why" explanation.

What are you looking to do? You need to understand what transfers do before you worry about grinding on them.

It's really going to depend on what you're looking for. There's way too many factors to try to give you a cookie cutter "this is why" explanation.

What are you looking to do? You need to understand what transfers do before you worry about grinding on them.
I think I have an understanding of what they do and I know there isn't a real definitive answer. I was just wondering if there was any solid DO's and DON'T's I guess.

Right now I think what you have in front of you is a can of worms, and you're just starting to peel the lid off......

I think I have an understanding of what they do and I know there isn't a real definitive answer. I was just wondering if there was any solid DO's and DON'T's I guess.
DO always watch your ring in locations when widening. DO always pay attention to roof thickness if raising the trans a lot. Do always make sure you put your chamfer back in so you don't hang a ring. I'm sure there's a lot more but that's a start. Lol.

DO always watch your ring in locations when widening. DO always pay attention to roof thickness if raising the trans a lot. Do always make sure you put your chamfer back in so you don't hang a ring. I'm sure there's a lot more but that's a start. Lol.
That does help, thank you.

Don't make a lot of changes all at once. Little by little,
Good tip thanks old cat. I've ported a few saws so far with some really good results and a couple with some less than stellar results, one of my 066's and one of the 394's. They both run really strong and are no slouches but I thought I was gonna get more out of them. The only work I've done on the upper transfers was angle them toward the intake but I just recently got an RA handpiece. I just question myself too much and want to be sure before I start really doing anything to them. I've heard it said plenty of times that less is more so I plan on taking it slow.

Latest posts

Back