Need tips for re-bending the end of starter recoil springs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quenching in oil makes them look better and they never rust. Also they seem to be more brittle and will rust if quenched in water. These are still too soft if allowed to just air cool.

Looks like someone is getting some McCulloch tips and training in the previous post pic. Them old heavy Mac's sure strain the back on gray headed guys. How do I know this. Looks like the guy with the red suspenders is already wearing a back brace trying to reduce the future pain of operating that saw.

You guys might want to snug up that chain little bit before going to the wood.;)

This is just an observation that has only just become clear to me. More often than not, the first thing to go on the starter pull is the cord. This is fairly easy to replace. There is a relation between the capacity of the string spool and the available recoil spring length in so much that if a too small diameter rope is used, it is possible to get another turn or two on the spool (possibly more). All to the good ?... but then it is possible that the only thing stopping you at the end of the pull is the end of the spring and not the end of the rope. It follows that it may be only possible to repair spring once before running out of useable length. On my old saws (Jonsereds, particularly the 49sp) the difference of rope dia needs only to be 1mm smaller and at the end of your pull is the end of the spring, resulting in a broken spring. This is not a failure as such, but the fitted rope is too narrow (or stretched/worn). I do not see the correct length of rope for a particular saw quoted, but if the max dia that will wind on (it will usually only wear thinner) is used this will result in a spring friendly pull starter, rather than continued frustration.
As my starter spring will only fail at the end of a long walk out with saw, resulting in a long walk back with saw having achieved nothing, only to find myself out of propane for the torch, and also to relearn that oxygen acetylene is definitely (still) too much of a good thing, and i gave someone else my only spare, I just thought I would bring this up. All of the above will be blatantly obvious to seasoned spring repair men, but I bet that is how they got their seasoning in the first place !

Latest posts

Back