Need to get these running

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newlotstolearn

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So, Im basically just green all around. I have made a few cuts, for firewood pretty much, and I have recently gotten a lot more interested in working with chain saws and learning about tree services in general. Lets say I know nothing about terminology, and have had no formal training. I would like to think I am intelligent and a quick learner though.
Im hoping to learn a lot here, and that I can get some good info from the pros.

First off. I would really like to learn more about the tool Im using. I have used other peoples saws mostly, and have never had to care for my own. That being said I just was gifted some saws to take apart and clean and put back together to get them to run.

I was given 3 Husqvarnas that look pretty used and abused, and I need to pick and pull if I can to get at least one good saw out of it, and I know pretty much nothing about them accept.... spark plug, air filter, bar, chain, fuel and oil reservoirs etc. its all really dirty in there.....

I got:
a "261"
a "257"
a "51"

I took the outer shell off of them, and aside from noting that they are all really dirty and oily/greasy, I saw that they all look be completely assembled. They have all been sitting for quite some time, and there is a little bit of left over Bar Chain oil and Gas mix still in the resevoirs.

Can any one tell me what to do? Where to go from here? What to check first and how?

I didn't want to put fresh gas mix and bar chain oil in them without getting some feedback... but am eager to jump into this project. Thanks in advance for any replies or advice I can get.... I can really use it

I have been using a Husky 365 a lot, and the first thing that I noticed when I popped off the cover plates was that the sprocket running the chains between these saws is different. I can't figure out how to get the thing off to take off the bar :dizzy:

Pull the mufflers and check the cylinders. If they look good you can start moving forward checking for spark and squirting some premix in them to see if they run.:cheers:

pour the old mix out. put some new mix in. check the muffler for obstructions. pull, pull, pull. do they have good compression? is so, and they don't want to start, then you need to dribble some fuel down the carb and pull, pull, pull. if no compression? pull the muffler and have a look at the piston and cylinder. do they have score marks? if so, time to reconsider how much money you want to sind into them. if you have compression and they won't, pull the plug and ground it to the cylinder and pull, pull, pull. if you have spark you probably need a carb kit. no spark? try a new plug. still no spark? probably a coil. this should take you the rest of the evening.
come back if you have more questions. we are always eager to offer suggestions. just remeber, some of it is worth exactly what you paid for it.
welcome,
Neal

Hopefully a Husky guy will come along soon. I would clean them up good. A stiff brush and some castrol super clean or the like and a little hosing will work. be careful with where you spray the water and don't use much pressure. If you have a compression tester thats great. Or see if they hang and/or drop slowly from the pull cord. Pull the plug and look inside and also pull the muffler and check the piston condition. Replace spark plug, add clean mix, and try to start them. Not sure if those models have an outboard clutch or not. If they do you may have to take the tension off the b/c and lift the bar off the studs a little and slide it back under the clutch. That should give you enough room to slip the chain off. Hope that made sense. LOL. Now wait for better advice.

That don't sound like a bad score. Especially for free!!! Husky's are good saws no doubt, but you may hear from a few die hard stihl-heads that'll tell you to ditch 'em and head for the nearest stihl dealer! :dizzy:

As far as what to do? If they were mine I'd clean em up a bit flush out the old premix, put in some fresh, and start yankin' on them suckers! That'll give you a pretty good idea on what they will need as far as parts, etc.

Welcome aboard, hold onto your wallet, and come on back with more questions!

Good Luck!

Murf

Thanks for the quick replies!

Muffler...... right, where is that exactly? lol ok...... can't say I didn't for warn you that I am new to this ;). I think I know where it is, Right there on the outside right? I will go take it apart some more..... Should I just go over one saw at a time?

Which one should I start with? How about I take some pictures as I go, and you guys can tell me whats what ;).

If its worth nothing and I paid nothing.... its all good. As long as I get something out of this nothing, requiring minimum effort and investment in new parts.

Be back in a little bit with more to say.

But in the meantime..... are the parts interchangable on these saws at all? Some parts anyways... I noticed the air filters etc are different. The only saw I have any experience with is the 365. And the 365 has been immaculately cared for in comparison to these other three saws.

Id try to do one at a time. You dont want to get stuff mixed up. Ive taken several apart at once cause I get excited to start a project or three. I would look at all three to figure out which will take less work to get running. Welcome to AS also get ready to have some fun. :cheers:

Last edited:
the Husky 51

This is as far as I get on my own. Feel free to point anything you see out to me, I might miss it. Wasn't too hard to pull this one before I started taking it apart. What would be the best thing to use to clean in there?

The muffler is the piece with the hole in it right? Im not sure how to take that off, or what tool to use to do it. I have to spread out the pictures between posts I guess....

Thanks

This experience has me feeling spoiled that I have gotten to use my dads 365.

Anyone see anything?

Wanna see the spark plug? (for some reason I feel really wierd asking that)

Your pics

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

How do you do that? Embedding or something?

Thanks for putting up so its easier to see. Well... thats how things are sitting with it.

Should I add a little gas and bar chain oil and see if I can get her going?

The previous owner told me that he was able to start one of them, but he couldn't remember which one.

I embellished your photos a little. The muffler is in front. Two bolts secure it to the cylinder - to the right of the muffler. There may also be 2-3 bolts securing a brace to the muffler. Remove the muffler to see the piston. Remove the spark plug and slowly pull the starter cord to move the piston. It should appear smooth as in the photo. If you see score marks, don't try to start it - you may cause more damage. Do some searches on this subject and you'll see what a bad piston looks like.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The Carb is under the air filter. I believe the adjustment screws are on the side with the starter. Do some searches on tuning - there are some good ones.

To remove the bar and chain, first make sure the chainbrake is release - the chain should move freely. Remove the two nuts on the clutch cover and remove the cover. Expect to see more crud. You can then slide the bar out on the studs to clear the adjuster pawl and then remove the chain - start at the outer end of the bar and then take the chain off the clutch. You can then remove the bar.

Last edited:
Thanks for putting up so its easier to see. Well... thats how things are sitting with it.

Should I add a little gas and bar chain oil and see if I can get her going?

The previous owner told me that he was able to start one of them, but he couldn't remember which one.

Welcome to Arborist Site, the most helpful place I've found on the web. Spend some time searching the old (and new) posts. Read, read, and then read some more. If you're having trouble determining what a muffler is, I would suggest you school yourself on the basics. At the top of the page you will find the "stickys" FAQs on chainsaw basics are there, also above that you will find the search button, use it a lot.

These guys will help you, they did it for me when I first showed up. I do have a degree in auto mechanics and two small engine courses under my belt, and was still a bit baffled by the two stroke engine.

Best of luck.

It's in rough shape, but for free, good to learn on...

What part looks like it's "in rough shape"? I just see a LOT of crud that should be removed!

OP

Have you checked for spark? You said that it was "easy to pull over". How easy?

If it was too easy, I would check the other two and start on one with better compression.

Good luck! Welcome to AS! Keep the pics coming!

What part looks like it's "in rough shape"? I just see a LOT of crud that should be removed!

OP

Have you checked for spark? You said that it was "easy to pull over". How easy?

If it was too easy, I would check the other two and start on one with better compression.

Good luck! Welcome to AS! Keep the pics coming!

Hole in the muffler, anti vib is torn loose in the front, the case is broken below the chain, pieces missing from the rear handle, who knows on the condition of the cylinder and piston. Aside from that it's in great shape!

thanks.... checking the cylinder/piston will be on the next thing to do list. Just to compare.... I took them all apart just that far. I filled em with gas mix and pulled and pulled and pulled. The 257 burped for me, but wouldn't start after that. The other two did nothing but pull pull pull. So maybe I should start with the 257?

Back