neighbor has bamboo and cedars encroaching

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

momasecrets

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
:rolleyes: the bylaw officers and surveyors and lawyers are saying you have the answer
our neighbor has a cedar tree whose trunk is laying against the ajoining fence to our property and over the years we have had to keep it well trimmed to keep it from shadowing out our own cedars that we are trying to grow. we have our trees planted 2 feet away from the fence and make every effort to keep them from even touching the fence. we trim them 6 inches from our side of the fence so that as they grow they will not incumber the neighbors property. We also have bamboo creaping into our property from their property, that we have had to trim every year to keep it from shadowing the young cedars that we have on our side from being affected.. . unfortunately these bammboo shoots have not been boardered or planted in protectgtive bins to keep them from coming to our property and the cedar tree now has huge roots that are sucking the life out of our cedars. :dizzy:
every year we have had to trim their bamboo and tree because they would refuse to do so. This year they have become verbally and minorly physically abusive to us and we need to know how to proceed to keep them on their side and leave us alone on our side.
we also need to know if any one knows where to look about and laws or bylaws that may exist to tell us our rights. :)
thank you for your time, momasecrets

bamboo & cedars

Herbicide the bamboo on your side of the fence. By the way, is it really bamboo, or is it Japanese knotweed (called 'bamboo' here in Vermont)? It will only kill a few inches of it (underground) before it loses the strength to kill and will merely slow the remainder down. Keep herbiciding ANY shoots that come up on your side of the fence. Far less time-consuming than pruning and much more effective. You'll likely have to herbicide it more than once to get a handle on it.

Kate Butler said:
Herbicide the bamboo on your side of the fence. By the way, is it really bamboo, or is it Japanese knotweed (called 'bamboo' here in Vermont)? It will only kill a few inches of it (underground) before it loses the strength to kill and will merely slow the remainder down. Keep herbiciding ANY shoots that come up on your side of the fence. Far less time-consuming than pruning and much more effective. You'll likely have to herbicide it more than once to get a handle on it.
we were told that round up was a good herbicide for that, is this true? thenk you for responding

I believe that julian dunster wrote something about bc tree law, can you google that?

re thier cedar, if you have also planted cedars, isn' ttheir cedar giving you some of the contributions that you want? So, is pruning it back such a problem for you? As they grow near boundaries, trees should become assets held in common, not "ours" and "theirs".

Who owns the fence?

Err ... aren't fence line issues the worst?

Over here the rule is any tresspassing tree parts (roots and branches etc) may be removed back to the fence line and only returned to the owner if they want it ... the cost of removal and dumping etc is yours. But you cannot turn the tree into a hazardous one by performing arborcultural malpractice, like cut off half the roots and let it fall on your neibs house.

It's a tough one, you should have a chat to your neib and work something out (oh yeah, he's hostile ... good luck)

But I'm with you, I would ban the planting of large trees within 10' of boundary fence lines. Personally, I have cut down and stump ground both my side neighbours fence line trees for free, now I've only got the guy behind me to worry about but he's only got little bushy stuff. why force your desires upon other people? If you want a big tree well and good but it's darn rude to have half of it hanging over some-one elses yard ... let alone roots coming into your yard.

Contact your local municipality and ask about the rules, I'm sure your not the first, but everywhere I have lived it's the same rule. Then you need to assess if the work to be done is going to be OK for the tree, then if it's OK out of courtesy inform your neib of the situation ... if he's cool and goes along with you great ... if not, you can proceed anyway and have all the facts to enjoy your own yard the way you want to. :)

Ekka said:
Err ... aren't fence line issues the worst?

Over here the rule is any tresspassing tree parts (roots and branches etc) may be removed back to the fence line and only returned to the owner if they want it ... the cost of removal and dumping etc is yours. But you cannot turn the tree into a hazardous one by performing arborcultural malpractice, like cut off half the roots and let it fall on your neibs house.

It's a tough one, you should have a chat to your neib and work something out (oh yeah, he's hostile ... good luck)

But I'm with you, I would ban the planting of large trees within 10' of boundary fence lines. Personally, I have cut down and stump ground both my side neighbours fence line trees for free, now I've only got the guy behind me to worry about but he's only got little bushy stuff. why force your desires upon other people? If you want a big tree well and good but it's darn rude to have half of it hanging over some-one elses yard ... let alone roots coming into your yard.

Contact your local municipality and ask about the rules, I'm sure your not the first, but everywhere I have lived it's the same rule. Then you need to assess if the work to be done is going to be OK for the tree, then if it's OK out of courtesy inform your neib of the situation ... if he's cool and goes along with you great ... if not, you can proceed anyway and have all the facts to enjoy your own yard the way you want to. :)
thankyou so much for your replyand incouragement...., i did contact the municipal authorities, and they said call a lawyer because they feel it is a civil matter as the good neighbors policy no longer exists, and as for the bamboo, they say that the noxious weed bylaw was abolished 3 years ago, so they can't even go over there to tell them to contain it. But suggests contacting a lawyer.
After going through 9 people, i was able to speak to the senior bylaw officer and he said that anything that is encroaching onto our property under the fence or above the fence to the sky can be removed to the fence, I said where is this law, he said call a lawyer. i contacted three arborists that cut trees for a living and one said, dont cut the roots, cuz you want to be careful that the tree dont fall, and the other two said the same as the senior by law officer, and suggest contacting a lawyer. One said its a shame that the neighbor didnt have the forsight (I agree) to realise things grow up big and tall, and as for the way they planted it, if it were to fall it would fall on our side through the fence as it is using the fence to support it as it leans. and we had planted a cedar barrior at the same time the fence was built and keep it trimmed 6 inches from the fence at all times, if the cedars would only grow 6 feet tall over night, we wouldnt have to worry about anything, because we wouldnt have to look at it, and if it poked through our cedars it would get trimmed along with our cedars. but thats not gonna happen because the neighbors roots are already impeaching onto our lot.
the lawyer says call a surveyor and make sure the fence is exactly on the property line and if not, the surveyor says call a lawyer to get an order to have it removed and replaced in the proper place. and if it is in the proper place, send a registered letter to the neighbor tell them that they have "X" number of days to contact you to come onto your property to trimm the tree to your satisfaction, and in not doing so, nor trimming the tree to your satisfaction, you then have the right to call an arborist to come and do the next cutting of the the tree and send the bill to the neighbor, which by the way is at a cost of at least 100 to 175 bucks.
Then I called several surveyors and they want 500 bucks just to look at it and 1000 bucks to register it, so that if it goes to court, it will stand up in court that this is the property line, but then they suggested contacting an arborist.
so i contacted your help line because i felt like i was going in circles.
Since I wrote my first plea for help, I have been trying to find the civil act that justifies taking them to court, and the law librairy says they can provide the information to me, .....if...if...if... I...I...I...can get the acts name and shedule.I said let me look, where are you situated, they said our buklding is the size of a base ball feild, you wont find it in your life time if you dont know the name.
I said how do you do that?, they said, call a lawyer, the lawyer says 500 bucks later you can have that.and thats just to retain them to look for it. and 225 bucks an hour if they cant find it right away, and if we want it to go to court we could be looking into the 17 to 20 thousand bucks market.
so I called the clerk of the legislative office and she sent me to the provincial court and the provincial court sent me to the supreme court and the supreme court sent me to the law librairy... and they said the same as before.
so I called the manager of the legislative assembly and he says he has a big fat book on his desk and will look through it and call me today.
I called the librairy and they said they dont even have the book on the bylaws for my town, and that i should be able to get one from the bylaw office and the bylaw office says that i would need a garage to hold all the bylaws that this town has.and they are sure there are none that pertain to this and that i need to call a lawyer.
the lawyer says call a surveyor, the surveyor says call a arborist the arborist says call a bylaw officer and the the bylaw officer says call a lawyer,
no one wants to get involved.
So now i sit, waiting for about 4 more calls to come in , hoping someone has the name of the act that says, that i do have the right to trim and remove what is on my own property.

Last edited:
treeseer said:
I believe that julian dunster wrote something about bc tree law, can you google that?

re thier cedar, if you have also planted cedars, isn' ttheir cedar giving you some of the contributions that you want? So, is pruning it back such a problem for you? As they grow near boundaries, trees should become assets held in common, not "ours" and "theirs".

Who owns the fence?
thank you for your reply, ... I took a look at the site that you gave me, and was please to see that they too say that, you really should use common sence as to where you plant a tree, I also looked at where the rules were coming from to discover that they are from Champaign, IL USA, so i wouldnt be able to use their rules in my dispute, never the less it was informative.
I did however get the links nesesary to contact Julian Dunster directly and plan to address the issue to him....this morning, but it is going to have to be by snail mail as I only could find his business address, and that is in Bowen Island, BC
as for the tree giving us the same contribution, ...had it been planted even 2 feet from the fence, it would have not been a problem, but this neighbor, on purposeley planted it on the fence to show that he was going to take as much room as he could from us, he wears his muscle shirt and hollers at us in a drunken state fairly often, and he has now resorted to driving his harley around town looking for us on public ground to try to intimidate us. all we want to do is live in peace, and have him keep his stuff on his side of the fence and keep our stuff on our side of the fence and hopefully when our trees have grown tall enough, we will never have to look at his face again.
as for the fence, we went out side last night, with the blueprints we were given by the builder, and measured with a tape measure to discover that not only is the fence completely on our property, but half the tree, as the tree is on the property line.

thank you for your reply, if Mr Dunster requires a fee, im sure we can work this issue on our own. as for cedars not found in nursuries, it is found in fields here. People grow them by the acres to be used for barriers in the lower mainland. they are about as common as the dandilion here.
i choose not to get into any insulting conversation with you, so instead, i will just thank you for participating in helping me find the answer to my origional question, and that is "we also need to know if any one knows where to look about for the laws or bylaws or Acts that may exist to tell us our rights." You have been very helpful!!!!

Dan, for goodness' sakes eat a good lunch and ease up on this visitor. You're sounding like Dunlap when he's off his feed.

Mr. Dunster will not look for a check with your inquiry; he may be kind enough to take a moment to refer you to help.

I am still at a loss to understand how the tree on the fence is a problem for you; doesn't it block your view of his muscle shirt? If its branches are suppressing your trees, just cut them away; no need for anything but a saw to do that.

If you could post pictures of this problem we may be of more help.

getting a surveyor and a new survey confuses me... your property was already surveyed at some point in time... all you need to do is to find the markers left by the surveyors... the plat done at the time of your real estate purchase should give you where the exact property lines are...

Dan it seems clear that the lady is side-trimming on her own property. Yes, the branches that are 18" long are not long for this world, but since they face the fence they are not important long-term anyway.

I plant trees near lot lines often, and try to get both neighbors to buy into the value and the expense of installing and maintaining, so they can go ON the lot line..

OK now you can put on your muscle shirt, and throttle your hog.

:) Thank you treeseer, and treeco, for understanding, that i am not here to create a problem,... I am here to find a resolution...the reason the tree is a problem, is just that, it should never have been planted there in the first place, and for the past several years, we have been forced to have to cut it like you said, "the branches" as they come over the fence. and the bamboo under the fence... but it has come to the point where is is leaning every year closer and closer to the fence to now pushing the fence, In the lower mailand, on almost every lot, the cedar tree is used as a fence, a hedge, a manicured bush in front of a wooden fence, so that when the wooden fence , no longer is there, the cedar hedge will exist as the fence. It rains here so much, that a wooden fence does not live very long in this environment. some developers here, have the trees planted only 18 inches apart, in long rows around large complexes, while we have chosen to develope our hedge a little more healthy by seperating them 3 feet apart. The trees that are not encumbered by this problem area, are over 8 feet tall already, and the ones that are encumbered that were planted at the same time are less than 4 feet tall. The bamboo is now on our property over 2 feet, crawling through the cedar hedge and now in front of it. We have no choice but to lay a barrier to hold back its root system. :rolleyes:
i wish i could give you a picture. i dont have a digital nor a web cam, nor a 35 mil old fashion camera. But i may be getting one soon for this purpose...
If its branches are suppressing your trees, just cut them away; no need for anything but a saw to do that.
that is exactly what we have been doing... the reason we need to know what to do now, is because we are being threatened by the neighbor. He says that if we trim the tree ever again, he will tear up every single shrub we have on our from lawn and throw them in our driveway.... We certainly dont want that. we just want our air space so our boarder can have a chance to rise properly, not encumbering their side of the fence in any way.
Trinity, I wish the pins were still there. Unfortunately when the fence was built, we paid half the cost, but the next door neighbor wouldnt let us help to do the build and he pulled the pins when we were not home.
I have been researching the COMMUNITY CHARTER [SBC 2003] CHAPTER 26
Part 3 — Additional Powers and Limits on Powers
Division 7 — Authority in Relation to Trees
where it says that the local government has the right to have authority in this manner, but
The local government act has repealed this decision as of 2003
so now im into the "L's" on the Complete Alphabetical Listing of Statutes
with Associated Regulations, and am continuing my reseach... You your self, say we have the right to trim the tree, but i need to have it in writing so i can hand the information to the neighbor to assist in his decision as to whether he wants to pursue his threat.... again, thank you for understanding. :confused:

If you paid for half the fence and you know it is on the lot line, here is another option. In a letter state that their tree is pushing over the fence and damaging your property in that hfence. It is a nuisance in the legal sense, and you are asking that they relieve your property of this nuisance within 30 days. Get this letter certified and send it to your neighbor, send one copy to the town attorney, one to the police chief, and another copy to a private attorney. Their names would be listed below your signature. (You don't need to retain that attorney at this time.)

If the letter is sent Certified they will be compelled to respond. how's that sound?

i just got a warm fuzzy, i believe that you have a good answer here, i will share this with my other half when he gets home from work, and try to follow that avenue, but before, i do, i still need to have a statement written somewhere in the books that I can refer him to, to show that this is my right, or he will not respond favorably..... please, if you can help me find a rule, a law, an act, a shedule, a revision, anything that says, I have the legal right to do that,... then your idea, would be a perfect solution in the game of chess he has created for us.

What a flamin mess this thing is ... it should be a simple black and white issue.

I would bet, in fact guarantee, that you are allowed to remove back to the fence line regardless of their being any rules unless the tree had a specific protection order which I doubt it has.

It would be archaic, and unconstitutional for you not to be able to keep your land free of tresspassing intrusions.

Send a letter of intent asking for remedial pruning with a dead line, failure to complete by the dead line go ahead yourself. But I doubt you will have the right to ask for payment, you will have to foot the bill for the tree work.

Good luck

Decorate the tree

Here is an idea why don't you act like you are fond of the tree and put Xmas decoration on it? I would be mighty careful around a neighbor like him. If the neighbor thinks you are getting attached to his tree maybe he will cut it down for spite. Seems a shame that a neighbor can cause so much misery.
Novice2

:) well, there may be light at the end of the tunnel after all, i was able to get a hold of a municipal member of the legislative assembly that was able to look in a big fat book to find a case that went to court for the the exact same reason, it held in my favor. According to the judgment, the neighbor's property was trespassing and he was told to remove his property by the judge and that he had 30 days to do so, failure to do so would result in him having it removed and he would then be responsible for the bill. " I was also able to get a hold of the law library at the university :cool: and they gave me 3 more cases I could consider using as reference. Im going to go to the legislative law assemblys library in Vancouver on Monday and pick up the first one i told you about, and look at the others to see the relevance.
Then, when the tree needs to be trimmed again and the bamboo needs to be trimmmed again, the letter you are suggesting treeseer and treeco, will be written giving the neighbor the same verdict that the judge gave, referring to the document, and a copy is going to be sent to the member of the legislative assembly that gave me the info in the first place, the senior bylaw officer of this township, the RCMP constable that is already involved, and the city hall, with a note that will be attached to the city hall telling them, that "as a resident of this town, I was forced to have to go to such extremes to maintain my own boundaries,because they had nothing to help me in the form of a bylaw being in place, and that they need to reevaluate their bylaws in this situation, and put something back into place for homeowners being harrassed by neighbors due to this issue, since they have had nothing to serve the people since the bylaw they had was repealed in 2003."
ekka and Novice2, thank you for your support and Treeseer and treeco, thanks again, i hope this works without too much more du"rrrrrrrr"ess, Ill let you all know as soon as I know ;)

I recommend that you contact an arborist in your area named Paul Buikema (sp?). He posts here as "jimmyq", and is familiar with bylaws of vancouver-area towns, as he does risk assessments for them. You would do well to pay him for an hour on your site to advise you on tree care ;) and to do some of it for you.

Well done on finding the law library and contacting some of the right people to get some legal backing. Every arborist or tree owner should be familiar with these resources and be anle to use them, instead of saying "hire a lawyer" and walking away. :Monkey:

Your neighbor

I think this is a problem all over when you have a neighbor that does not care for his land and allows problems like this to occur. However, if it was me-I would buy a digital camera-you can get them really reasonable on EBAY, and take pictures to back up your claim, as well as pictures of your property, with the date displayed, just in case he decides to retaliate. I would also put up motion detection lights. Regular lights can be hooked up to 1 motion detector. I am in NY and I take threats very seriously. I have seen a lot of bad things happen between neighbors. When our chain link fence went up 30 years ago, then fencing company, with survey in hand, very carefully put the fence up exactly 1 foot in from the property line. Every time our neighbor plants anything, we have to remind him not to plant on our 1 foot of land. We told him we will be replacing the fence within 5 years, and all the items he has planted will be on our side of the fence. They are not nasty though. I really appreciate your dilemia and hope the best for you out of this situation.

Some Neighbor You Are!!!

Now then it looks like we are going from being the Good Guy to being the Hateful Neighbor!! kgbtechie I am wondering if you maintain the one ft. section on the other side of your fence or do you let your neighbor have the privilege of cutting your grass?? Watch for my post later on fence problems.
Novice2

Back