neighbor has bamboo and cedars encroaching

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
novice2 said:
Now then it looks like we are going from being the Good Guy to being the Hateful Neighbor!! kgbtechie I am wondering if you maintain the one ft. section on the other side of your fence or do you let your neighbor have the privilege of cutting your grass?? Watch for my post later on fence problems.
Novice2

I think where we are there is some sort of law that says fences have to be inside property lines at least 1 foot or 18 inches. My father was dealing with this down in the city, the question is, how the heck do you mow 12-18 inches and not mow more than that? I'd love to see a 1' mower, or do you use a weed whip?! My whip is 18" cut but I guess you can get smaller.

It's amazing how people get when they live too close. I'm just happy my closest neighbor is a 5 minute stroll away.

fencing

At the time our fence was put in, the law specified 1 foot in on property line. Now the law states it can be on property line, but on your side of the line. We tell these neighbors as there is a law that states, if your property is used for anothers purpose for, I believe7 years, with your consent, it can become public, or their property. We have always maintained both sides of our fence if the neighbor does not do so. Even when it is pulling tons of weeds out to stop its invasion. When you live in an area where all you can call home is 80by100(this is one of the largest lots on the block most are 40 or 60 by 100 feet) you have to be extremely careful not to step on anyone. At this point in time, our land is worth more than our house. We are very considerate people, however our house will change hands in 5 years and the new owner will be putting in a new high fence for privacy, as we have none thanks to our neighbors vines. We have already been told they will destroy anything we put there. That is why they want to put a fence that nothing can cling to. It resolved another neighbors problem with the same vines, but on another side of him. Unless you live in a large plot of land, this will always be a problem you have to deal with the best you can.

kgbtechie said:
We tell these neighbors as there is a law that states, if your property is used for anothers purpose for, I believe7 years, with your consent, it can become public, or their property.

It's called "adverse possession" and is referred to as "squatter's rights" informally. There is something about them having to have paid taxes on it for that period of time also, though, not 100% sure of the details.

Back