Never thought about buying a saw on Ebay

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saxono3

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I never gave a thought to buying chainsaws on Ebay until I started hanging around this forum. I saw a few guys mention it and took a look last night. Good grief, a lot of saws for sale, who'd of thunk it? :msp_smile: I have 5 on my watch list now. All going MUCH cheaper than used saws that show up at the saw shop I go to, most of which are being sold on consignment. Only thing I'm leery on is the ones that say "no returns". Cant see laying out my hard earned and currently scarce funds on something I cant send back if it aint what they claimed it was. The guy that said, "If this saw is not what you thought it would be send it back for a full refund" is likely to get my business.

Ha, Ha,

Wait until the last minute of the auction.

We have bought many saws off the bag, best advice is to get a sniper account, name your price and don't budge.

You need patience and knowledge to get the best deal.

Good Luck!

IMHO you seldom get a bargain off ebay.
I said seldom. Not never!

Indeed, never say never;

attachment.php

couple $50 buy it now,

Patience knowledge and diligence pays off every once in a while.

Most of us that sell saws on ebay, including me, put the "no returns" on our items to kinda protect ourselves against the people who either need a saw for a short time then want to return it or the people who straight gas the saws or remove parts from our saws and replace it with a defective part. I always describe my saws accurately to the best of my ability and I would take a saw back if it wasn't what I said it was. It really doesn't pay to call a saw "excellent" when it's a piece of junk, in my opinion.

Most of us that sell saws on ebay, including me, put the "no returns" on our items to kinda protect ourselves against the people who either need a saw for a short time then want to return it or the people who straight gas the saws or remove parts from our saws and replace it with a defective part. I always describe my saws accurately to the best of my ability and I would take a saw back if it wasn't what I said it was. It really doesn't pay to call a saw "excellent" when it's a piece of junk, in my opinion.

Fact of the matter is that a buyer can dispute the sale as item being not as described and eBay is going to side with the buyer most likely whether you put a return policy in or not.

I list them as being no returns but a buyer could if he wanted to bad enough.

Ebay will fight for you if they try to screw you on a saw

Fact of the matter is that a buyer can dispute the sale as item being not as described and eBay is going to side with the buyer most likely whether you put a return policy in or not.

If missrepresent the item you can contact ebay and paypal will go to bat for you and make the other selling party pay up if your claim is on the up n up!

I never gave a thought to buying chainsaws on Ebay until I started hanging around this forum. I saw a few guys mention it and took a look last night. Good grief, a lot of saws for sale, who'd of thunk it? :msp_smile: I have 5 on my watch list now. All going MUCH cheaper than used saws that show up at the saw shop I go to, most of which are being sold on consignment. Only thing I'm leery on is the ones that say "no returns". Cant see laying out my hard earned and currently scarce funds on something I cant send back if it aint what they claimed it was. The guy that said, "If this saw is not what you thought it would be send it back for a full refund" is likely to get my business.

Here's my process for the 11-12 saws I've bought from my personal home shopping site:

Find something of interest (incl. start price) - find out what it's actually worth (ask here, weed out the "haters")

Decide what you'll pay MAXIMUM, then either bid & wait, or snipe it @ the last few seconds.

Of course, the better the descr. & more the pics, the better informed you are.

Be aware of "ran recently" or "friend sez it's a great saw"

I assume (yes I said it) the saw is going to need work, $50-$100 worth.

Buy it, don't look back.

luck,greg

Thanks for the advice. I wasn't aware that it was still possible to return the saw if the seller misrepresented it. Well, I know what I need, I know what saws go for, well, better re say that, I know what Stihl chainsaws go for. In 12 years of selling 50 to 60 cords of firewood a year and logging most of the time Ive only ran Stihl's. So I guess Ill make a bid and see what happens. Good thing is I don't have to be in a hurry, if I don't get the saw for what I figure I can pay Ill just try again.
If I get lucky I'll run it for a week and tell you if I got a deal or got skinned.

Thanks for the advice. I wasn't aware that it was still possible to return the saw if the seller misrepresented it. Well, I know what I need, I know what saws go for, well, better re say that, I know what Stihl chainsaws go for. In 12 years of selling 50 to 60 cords of firewood a year and logging most of the time Ive only ran Stihl's. So I guess Ill make a bid and see what happens. Good thing is I don't have to be in a hurry, if I don't get the saw for what I figure I can pay Ill just try again.
If I get lucky I'll run it for a week and tell you if I got a deal or got skinned.

Good point watch for the shipping charges and figure that into your bid and dont get into a pissing contest with another buyer bid on the one you like in the last few seconds like 10 seconds give it your best bid and then cross your fingers and do not fall in love with the item and know what it goes for on the open market.

That's true but I still list as no returns to discourage people from returning saws that they messed up. If a saw is misrepresented they should complain to ebay and try to get their money back. There are a few dishonest sellers on ebay.

That is one of the biggest deterrents for me anymore, especially for parts saws. :angry:

Exactly! Most regular parts saws aren't worth what some charge for shipping so I try to buy my parts saws locally. If it's a Stihl 066 or something like that the shipping might be okay if the price for the saw is reasonable. From where I live it would probably cost over $20 to ship a parts saw to California so if I shipped one I would charge at least that and of course ebay would take a fee out of that. That's another thing that makes the shipping a little higher. I think there's a 9% fee on shipping.

Well, I was top bidder. Bought another 361. My first "ebay" saw. Paid $390 for it shipped. Was hoeing not to go past $360 but I wasnt getting close. Cosmetically it looks a little rough. We'll see what I bought when I tare it down and have a look. Ill post some pics. After I cut something with it. My 361 Ive had for years is my favorite firewood saw and I use it when I'm in smaller timber or cutting for a horse team. Wanted another and I hope I bought a good one.

Back