new 066 new problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Guys,
Looking for some help for a friend who was Fleeced by the "bay". He bought a 066 got one cut out of it and poof. cylinder seized, so we replaced the P/C in doing so it seems as the culprit was uncovered. Looks like the intake boot was compromised and caused the lean burn.
Well P/C swapped, Intake boot replaced, Impulse line replaced, new fresh fuel added and still no go. can't seem to get a burble. Good spark, replaced the plug anyway but still no go. So I am looking for some help to get the saw up and running. Yes we could drop it off to any of the local Stihl reps but no one is willing to let us in the shop to actually learn what we did wrong. so my question is are there any locals who would assist in the Central Jersey, Eastern PA area that might want to make a new friend teach some dumb guys about their chainsaws and maybe trade out for some excavation work( I am a banker but the friend is a excavation contractor) you can have all the financial advice for free anytime for what that's been worth lately.

thanks guys.
Angelo

Last edited:
Is the carb giving the engine gas? put a few drops of gas down the carb and see if it fires then report findings.

thanks good catch its been a long day for me :clap::clap:

454 and XXL,
yes,
it's getting gas, and it's slightly blowing through the exhaust, to which I attribute the blowby from the rings not seating as of yet?
Gave it a quick shot of ether just to see if we could get a burble to no avail.
in a 4 stroke at this point I'ld be looking at cam timing/ valve operation. None of which apply here :(

thanks so much so far gents. Keep 'em coming.
A

is the sparkplug boot on the spark plug?

i know stupid question, ive done it before:jawdrop::dizzy::censored:

is the sparkplug boot on the spark plug?

i know stupid question, ive done it before:jawdrop::dizzy::censored:

not a stupid question at all. but yes it is... and tried a few different plugs just for "cheap and easy" fixes before expensive and timely stuff. Seems to be getting a good spark clean across the plug gap. So as to eliminate an ignition anomaly.

could it have anything to do with piston or ring placement and is that the next place to back track to ? it seems to have good enough compression to start. ( no tester available in this shade tree mechanic shop)

I guess if the saw was able to run before you changed the P&C and you put a fresh p&c on it you must have done something amiss while changing it. However, for insurance sake I would probably pressure/vac test the saw before operating it much. If it has fuel, compression, and fire it should pop. Another thing is I wouldn't use ether on saws....whenever I want to start a dry freshly rebuilt saw, I will dribble a dab of mixed gas down the carb throat. I'm sure someone from your area will chime in and be willing to help you out. Good luck and keep us updated.

From what I have read so far it sounds flooded, when you remove the plug is it wet on the electrode end. I have encountered many saws that will flood so bad that they won`t even pop until the plug is removed and the saw stood up on end with the rear handle resting on a bench or support pull the saw over 10-15 times. Does fuel come out of the carb ? If so the carb is flooding rapidly, probably from a stuck needle valve.[or metering lever set too high].
Pioneerguy600

If it's spitting gas out the muffler,it's badly flooded.It won't run until you clear the crankcase of the liquid fuel.Fish posted the "easy " fix for this recently.Here goes:empty the fuel tank,pull the sparkplug,then pull it about 30 times.This should clear the crankcase of fuel.Put a little fuel in the carb ,replace the plug and see if it will hit.If it hits,gas it up and go.If not,pull the plug again and pull it over another dozen or so times.Replace the plug,spritz the carb again and it should start.Sounds simple and works great.

The reason it won't fire when the crankcase is "Wet" is because there is no air to burn,only fuel vapor.You "dry"up the excess vapor and get your fuel to air ratio back in order.Be ready for a smoke cloud when it does start,the gas vapor will be gone,but the oil will still be there to burn off.

Last edited:
Do the "easy" fix,you'll be glad you did.You have received the answer,most likely,to the problem you're describing.Don't over-analyze this.

If it's spitting gas out the muffler,it's badly flooded.It won't run until you clear the crankcase of the liquid fuel.Fish posted the "easy " fix for this recently.Here goes:empty the fuel tank,pull the sparkplug,then pull it about 30 times.This should clear the crankcase of fuel.Put a little fuel in the carb ,replace the plug and see if it will hit.If it hits,gas it up and go.If not,pull the plug again and pull it over another dozen or so times.Replace the plug,spritz the carb again and it should start.Sounds simple and works great.

The reason it won't fire when the crankcase is "Wet" is because there is no air to burn,only fuel vapor.You "dry"up the excess vapor and get your fuel to air ratio back in order.Be ready for a smoke cloud when it does start,the gas vapor will be gone,but the oil will still be there to burn off.

him will
I will double back on the "flooded" theory in the AM. Wife will kill me If I wake the kids with a screaming 066 in the basement. Of course I think I would be louder then the 66 if it popped. I was assuming the fuel out the exhaust was ring related but it's worth a try. Is there any other possible reason for fuel out exhaust as that seems to be the only oddity/symptom

From what I have read so far it sounds flooded, when you remove the plug is it wet on the electrode end. I have encountered many saws that will flood so bad that they won`t even pop until the plug is removed and the saw stood up on end with the rear handle resting on a bench or support pull the saw over 10-15 times. Does fuel come out of the carb ? If so the carb is flooding rapidly, probably from a stuck needle valve.[or metering lever set too high].
Pioneerguy600

Yes. Take the spark plug out. Turn the saw upside down and pull like crazy to get the fuel out. Replace the plug. Select "Start" (One click down)...NOT CHOKE...Squeeze the trigger while pulling on the start cord (a little awkard and may take 2 people so make sure you chain brake is on) and keep at it until it starts. It may take a LOT of pulls, so keep at it.

Again, we don't know you, so I'm going to ask...do you understand the starting procedure for a 2-stroke? It's really easy to flood them if you don't listen carefully.

Litefoot,
not too new to starting 2 strokes( 026, 036, 6401, many yard tools as well). New to replacing P/C in saws though. have done a few MC and a few backyard small block chevy's in the day but these super complicated saws... ?

guys I really appreciate the help. I haven't run a 66 yet so that's whats got me motivated. that and a good challenge.

Man that thing looks like a beast.

him will
I will double back on the "flooded" theory in the AM. Wife will kill me If I wake the kids with a screaming 066 in the basement. Of course I think I would be louder then the 66 if it popped. I was assuming the fuel out the exhaust was ring related but it's worth a try. Is there any other possible reason for fuel out exhaust as that seems to be the only oddity/symptom

There is an arrow on top of the piston that should have been pointing to the exhaust side. Did you orient it that way? I doubt that it would create the problem you're experiencing, but I'll throw that out there for someone else to comment on.

Also, timing problems can cause flooding. But I'm assuming you didn't mess with the flywheel, so that's not it.

When you do the "pull it like crazy",Do it outside it's going to start up and smoke like the devil until it burns off the excess oil in the crankcase.

It's easy to flood one on the initial start-up after a rebuild.Due to the fact that you oiled the rings and cylinder when you put it back together,you have a really good seal there.Probably the best suction and compression the saw will ever have so it will pull plenty of fuel on full choke.If you don't hear the first pop and take it off choke and keep pulling,it will flood quick and in a hurry.

Last edited:
Back