New 090 AV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Huh??

I am sure there is something that I don't understand about this. If they are still made which seems to be the case, why would they not be sold in the US. I appears that there is a least some market for the 090 and I see no reason that Stihl would not do everything in their power to fill that need. I would also assume that dealers would love to sell a "higher ticket" item as the profit would be greater. It makes no sense to me that these saws are not easily available in the US. I know there must be something that I am unaware of, but I don't see it. JR

Epa ?

Brad, please be more specific. I know that there are some EPA issues, but I am woefully uninformed on this subject. If you or some others could enlighten me I would appreciate it. Thanks. JR

Brad, please be more specific. I know that there are some EPA issues, but I am woefully uninformed on this subject. If you or some others could enlighten me I would appreciate it. Thanks. JR

The saws do not meet minimum EPA emissions requirements therefore cannot be imported new to the US-old design -built for power,not clean air.

nice!!

let's see... 4,000 Australian dollars = 3,035.6 U.S. dollars
http://www.huntermac.com.au/chsw_prof.html

attachment.php

Last edited:
I am sure there is something that I don't understand about this. If they are still made which seems to be the case, why would they not be sold in the US. I appears that there is a least some market for the 090 and I see no reason that Stihl would not do everything in their power to fill that need. I would also assume that dealers would love to sell a "higher ticket" item as the profit would be greater. It makes no sense to me that these saws are not easily available in the US. I know there must be something that I am unaware of, but I don't see it. JR
It's not just the 090 either - The list of saws sold in other countries includes, but may not be complete of:
MS076
MS070
MS640 (I think?)
MS051
MS381
MS08S
MS440 (maybe?)
MS360

cocksucking EPA...

Well it took a few months and some serious arm twisting,but, I finally bought a 090 AV (German made !) with 48" bar and not yet started !
Im looking forward to fueling it up and working it ! Will probably change the bar to a 36" and keep the 48" for milling. The next step a 72" bar for the big Beech we have over here .

Brilliant going Dave!
I've wanted one of the newer type AV 090 saws for some time, I even considered buying the whole AV kit for my 090, but, the cases are different and the old case won't take the newer AV top handle. :mad:

The saws do not meet minimum EPA emissions requirements therefore cannot be imported new to the US-old design -built for power,not clean air.

Break it up a little and ship it as a parts saw then rebuild it when you get your hands on it.

cocksucking EPA...

LOL!

There is nothing stopping anyone ordering all the parts needed from Stihl and building their own new saw! Well there is one thing! £$£$£$£$£$£$£

Any members in Australia or South America out there that have access to these coveted models out there?jra1100 is completely correct,the market and demand here is huge.....this would make a very nice side income opportunity for someone outside the US:monkey:

I have a good friend that lives in New Zealand. He has a landscape business so it is possible that he could order the 090!!! Is anyone really serious about this?????????/

Any members in Australia or South America out there that have access to these coveted models out there?jra1100 is completely correct,the market and demand here is huge.....this would make a very nice side income opportunity for someone outside the US:monkey:

I doubt the market for 090's would be that big here...maybe some of the smaller displacement units. ArboristSite is full of fanatics...I mean that in a good way...but we represent a tiny fraction of all chainsaw buyers. And even among us loonies, my guess is that only are few of us that have the discretionary funds to plunk down $2K for a "fun" saw.

I may be wrong, but I think Stihl's marketing geniuses would find a way to get an EPA compliant 090 on the market here in the USA if they thought it would be a big seller.

Seriously, think about it, how many 880's are flying out the doors?

Last edited:
I doubt the market for 090's would be that big here...maybe some of the smaller displacement units. ArboristSite is full of fanatics...I mean that in a good way...but we represent a tiny fraction of all chainsaw buyers. And even among us loonies, my guess is that only are few of us that have the discretionary funds to plunk down $2K for a "fun" saw.

I may be wrong, but I think Stihl's marketing geniuses would find a way to get an EPA compliant 090 on the market here in the USA if they thought it would be a big seller.

Seriously, think about it, how many 880's are flying out the doors?

I am sure the australian post office would enjoy adding the tarriffs and fees associated with sending a 40lb gasoline engine chainsaw across the globe.

Once STIHL finds out they would put a stop to it.

STIHL would have too.

So what if it was not a regular thing. he buys one saw uses it to cut a couple logs and then sends it to me as a used saw. Why wouldn't that work. I can see that if he was ordering then 090's they may catch on.

Why not have someone across the line-on-the-map order one? Then toss it in the trunk and just drive across? There is that place in the UP that is just a shack.

Then again, just drive across on the Polaris/Ski-Doo/Arctic Cat.

Why not have someone across the line-on-the-map order one? Then toss it in the trunk and just drive across? There is that place in the UP that is just a shack.

Then again, just drive across on the Polaris/Ski-Doo/Arctic Cat.

Can you buy thm in canada??? i would beleive mexico, but canada????

Just out of curiosity, why would anyone want to buy a new 090 to use when the 880 is less money, lighter weight, and makes more power?

Can you buy thm in canada??? i would beleive mexico, but canada????

The answer, unfortunately, is a resounding NO.

Just out of curiosity, why would anyone want to buy a new 090 to use when the 880 is less money, lighter weight, and makes more power?

You haven't spent much time running an 090, have you...? It's like why some people would prefer to drive a Hemi Barracuda rather than a Ferrari.

There is nothing stopping anyone ordering all the parts needed from Stihl and building their own new saw! Well there is one thing! £$£$£$£$£$£$£
I'd assume it would be cheaper to buy a ticket to australia, buy a new 090, and take it back on the plane...
More torque, less stressed engine design? If the 880 is better all round, why do they still offer the 090. I'd assume because it's better suited to REALLY big bars in REALLY big wood. So that's why you'd need one, as to why you'd want one - the answer is painfully obvious... Size ;)

Back