New 201 T tune guidance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My point is it took them over a year to realize this.

My throttle response is so bad on my 201t that i paid $1200 for nos 200t! I proly should of saved my $$ n bought a 200 years ago.... Just kinda stinks that my 192t has better response than that 201 i paid $600 for. As far as my 200ti love it!!... Lil too pricy tho

And just think you could have paid 50 bucks and that 201 would eat that 200.....both my 201s are faster than my 200s..I did the work myself. But if u still have the 201 look into having a little work done to it.

Had a Stihl rep call this week and relay they had been playing with the tune of the 201 T and at least in the Midwest a tech update will prolly come out.
They took a 7" oak log and cut with a new old stock 200T cut time was aroung 6. something secs, don't recall the exact time.
New 201 T out of the box took 10. something seconds
After the techs/germans played with the carb setting which are the H needle out against the limiter and the L screw out 1 5/8 turns the 201T beat the cut time of the new old stock 200T. We were told to call anyone we have sold the 201T's to and retune. We tried it in wood at out dealer and it does in fact work, we did not have a new 200T, but one in good shape.

Just reading between the lines Stihl is taking very seriously, I wouldn't doubt if you don't see a CM version pretty quick or even a "I" model (fuel injected coming down the pike pdq. They are committed to producing the hottest performing top handle on the market, they are not going to let that position slip.

This bs has been going on for over a yr. Only a injected one will heal the wounds. And it better be the same price, or they can kiss the top handle market goodbye. Our sales are off 80%. We used to move over 100 200T's a year.

Stihl Rep told me yesterday that the magic ingredient for tuning 201s is waiting 20 seconds after each carb adjustment, in order to allow the computer to adjust the timing to the new setting. He said that without the 20 second wait between adjustments, you're just chasing the timing all over the place. Hope this helps.

Stihl Rep told me yesterday that the magic ingredient for tuning 201s is waiting 20 seconds after each carb adjustment, in order to allow the computer to adjust the timing to the new setting. He said that without the 20 second wait between adjustments, you're just chasing the timing all over the place. Hope this helps.

It's not an electronic carb. It doesn't tune like that at all.

I just worked on a brand new 201T. The H was already against the limiter, as they usually are. The L was at 1 3/8. The poor throttle response on a 201 is helped by leaning out the L. I suspect this bulletin is an attempt to richen up a saw past what the H limiter will allow.

After modding the muffler and advancing the ignition timing 6°, I ended up with the L at 1 turn even and the H at 2 1/2 turns. The factory H setting is 1 7/8 turns, so the 2 1/2 isn't as out of line as you might think at first. There's still plenty of adjustment at that point. In my experience, a muffler modded saw needs more L fattening than H. I actually go leaner on these to get good throttle response. Richening them up causes them to stumble off idle and have poor throttle response.

The solution...you really need to drill that H limiter pin out. That's the only way to tune these like they need to be.

[video=youtube_share;FZStGDRdDTE]http://youtu.be/FZStGDRdDTE[/video]

Yeah the limiter kicks in around 13k from memory, however the shop manual says to use a tacho and tune to 14k... I think some other members may have found the same thing?

I just tuned it in the wood until I got the fastest cutting time and thats a long way from 13K, but I guess if its cutting good it can't be running to lean...

With an unlimited coil?

Meaning can you tune it for 14k with a limited coil?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
MS201T: tuning

I just worked on a brand new 201T. The H was already against the limiter, as they usually are. The L was at 1 3/8. The poor throttle response on a 201 is helped by leaning out the L. I suspect this bulletin is an attempt to richen up a saw past what the H limiter will allow.

After modding the muffler and advancing the ignition timing 6°, I ended up with the L at 1 turn even and the H at 2 1/2 turns. The factory H setting is 1 7/8 turns, so the 2 1/2 isn't as out of line as you might think at first. There's still plenty of adjustment at that point. In my experience, a muffler modded saw needs more L fattening than H. I actually go leaner on these to get good throttle response. Richening them up causes them to stumble off idle and have poor throttle response.

The solution...you really need to drill that H limiter pin out. That's the only way to tune these like they need to be.

[video=youtube_share;FZStGDRdDTE]http://youtu.be/FZStGDRdDTE[/video]

Was that a chunk of the honey locust which I left you?

Latest posts

Back