New 3/8" STIHL PICCO Super 3 Saw Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are you talking about? This is not safety chain.

Sorry to say so, but pgg is right! The "3" chain are ANSI "green".

It isn't the very worst kind of "safety" chain, but still not what I would want.

Technically, you're right Tom. But it's not the safety chain he's trying to make it out to be. Here's safety chain, and that is not safety chain. There is nothing on the chain pictured to hinder it's cutting abilities.

33SL78.jpg

Just a different level of "safety" - both are "green" chain.

Dude, who peed in your wheaties? You might want to educate youself on saw chain design before you start spouting off like that. Drop the tough guy attitude maybe you'll learn a thing or two.

He looks very well educated on the subject to me - just a bit blunt in the way he is wording himself! :msp_smile::biggrinbounce2:

Last edited:
And while you're calling it safety chain, it'll cut circles around your semi-chisel stuff. While that chain does have some reduced kickback technology built into it, it is not the chain commonly referred to as safety chain, such as that I pictured above.

Easy there. He's right and he's wrong. That chain does indeed have a safety hump near the raker. What he overlooked is the square chisel cutter and more importantly how the safety hump is designed. Look closely at it and you will notice its kinda long and it sets well below the cutter along the bar. In fact it sets at the cut off line on the raker meaning its plenty low. At the nose when the chain goes around that long pointed design pokes out and does it job to prevent kickback. Other than that the safety hump on that chain does nothing but go along for the ride. That chain will cut like crazy and have less kickback too boot. I'm still not sure if thats the chain they are talking about though, I've yet to see the real thing. Hell I've never seen the chain he's got pictured there, that may be it and if so I like it.

Try bore-cutting with it.

And the "3" chain is exactly what Stihl refer to as "safety" chain at the time, but no chain brand will use that expression.....

Last edited:
Well they claimed at the meeting it was a long time coming but they finally have the chain the guys wanted mainly for the 200T. By looking at it I think its right nifty. I sell alot of plain 63PM chain for my 200T users. They too have always wanted a square chisel cutter so this may be right up thier alley. The 63PM has no safety hump but its got a rounded corner cutter. That square chisel cutter should be abit quicker in the cut. I'll know in a few days...

Not really, I would have been a lot more exited about it if it was 63PS or PSC, and not 63PS3. :msp_wink:

I guess we could say that the lawyers at Stihl won over the sawyers (again). :jawdrop: :laugh::laugh:

I have too agree with you on all of the above ST,it would have been nicer if they used a narrow raker and a bump similar too the lpx stuff but since its designed for top handles guess I kinda understand.
Anyhow we got our chisel and a grinder will fix it.
Now if someone would just make it in .325NK.

I have too agree with you on all of the above ST,it would have been nicer if they used a narrow raker and a bump similar too the lpx stuff but since its designed for top handles guess I kinda understand.
Anyhow we got our chisel and a grinder will fix it.
Now if someone would just make it in .325NK.

:agree2: Well said!

Sorry to say so, but pgg is right! The "3" chain are ANSI "green".

It isn't the very worst kind of "safety" chain, but still not what I would want.

Just a different level of "safety" - both are "green" chain.

He looks very well educated on the subject to me - just a bit blunt in the way he is wording himself! :msp_smile::biggrinbounce2:

Definitely safety chain,but, it is also a big improvement over some, i will stick with Oregon 91VXL on my 401.

I would love to run a picco setup on my 026. I have a new 7t picco drum here,does anyone know if a 16" picco bar is availible still? Or does one need to change bar mount studs to make the smaller bar fit. I have a 14" setup on my ms250,and it is pretty quick. Any help would be appreciated.

Stihl used to make 3003 mount bars in picco.

I think Oregon still does, maybe others too..

You might try the logosol website as they sell pmx chain for milling and bars for stihls

They were talking about it at a meeting a few weeks ago. Supposely its ready to go. I haven't checked on it yet but will indeed look into it for the arborist in my area, they all use 200T's. Should be a good seller. Fact I'll look into right now. Be right back...

Just checked e-sales, its ready for sale. Part # for a 14inch loop is 3616 005 0055

That part number is not on ESales, so, it's not ready to sell. And 3616 005 0055 would be a 16" loop, not 14". What meeting did you attend??

I hope this new Stihl LP turns out to be durable.I like how the oregon chamfer chisel cuts but a few sharpenings and its done.The N1 semi chisel/woodland pro has a lot longer cutter but seems brittle and I break teeth before its worn out and sometimes before the 1st filing.

the mid alantic stihl warehouse nc sc va and some of maryland has the chain in rolls and pre cut loops :jester:

Definitely safety chain,but, it is also a big improvement over some, i will stick with Oregon 91VXL on my 401.

I just ordered some 91vxl would like to see how it compares to this new stihl chain. Altho the 91vxl is semi-chisel vs this stuff which is full chisel and low-kickback.

Updates?

Has anyone had any experience with this chain yet? Maybe pictures of the actual chain?

Has anyone had any experience with this chain yet? Maybe pictures of the actual chain?

Purchased a 25' roll a month or so ago. So far I'm pleased, it holds an edge for a long time as does most Stihl chain. Cuts fast but if I have one minor complaint, it is a bit grabby for a top handle.

Have some pics on the other computer.

Latest posts

Back