New 346XP by Husqvarna!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thinking about it... 1 year is not typical out here. I have many pro customers including 4 lumber yards and one mill. The yard/mill saws are used constantly (not every second!) every day 6 days a week, and sure, after a year or two they sure look beat, but are running fine... Mostly 361 and 044. The lumber yards figure they start their saws 80 times a day... to cut big gluelams and other beams. Two of the yards have a "precision cutters" based on an 880 and a helper handle - used to cut units of 2x4 in one cut, a dozen or so times a day. Both of those saws are 3 years old and part from one unfortunate incident where diesel was put in the saw (new pistion, honed bore) , they have been super reliable.

I don't know of any local tree service that relegates a saw to backup after a year -most I see have saws new to 10 years old, and all are in use.

RBTREE - how many hours do you figure on your Husky 335/8's? your 346 and other saws?

Last edited:
bwalker,,,,, I think You are Full of it,,, & just like to argue

I dont and I dont know anyone who does. I also know that no saw will last for 12 years of professional use.
Stihl saws give good service, but this doesnt have anything to do with good service.

I just picked up two saws just before I made my PNW trip from the local Stihl dealer where I work part time that were traded in by a pro logger who used them for bucking, limbing, and falling,,,, one was an 046 and the other an 044 both originally bought the same day from our shop many years ago,,, and they were just taken off of their trucks in Feb 07,, BTW If these boys have work their saws get used everyday and sawin dont go on all day long,,, they gotta load the timber and get it out of tha woods too!!!!!,,,, and guess what he bought to take their place???? a MS 460 and a 440,,,,, The 044 has the old pre decomp style cylinder 044 serial #131099333 (andy or thall can you date this saw) had some issues with a slightly scored p/c and a couple of pieces of plastic were busted but the Cylinder cleaned right up and a new piston kit, and a metering diaphram in the carb is about all it needs,,, I pulled a crankcase pressure/vacumn test before I pulled it apart to check the seals & rod/crankcase bearings for excessive end play and they are in great shape and still very usable in fact the vacumm test held for over 10 minutes and the guage never moved,,, the 046 still runs but needs a new brake handle (cracked) and a few other minor things but the piston looks great and has over 150 lb. compression I dont know for sure but I'm pretty sure they are @ least 10-12 years old.... our shop dosent have media cat or even a computer,,, It's no secret,,, River is old school,,,,, so I cant verify the age But I know somebody can.... when I get back into town next weekend I will try to post some pics of the 046,,,, Quit jackin with Tom and go ride your jet ski or your motorcycle,,, yer makin my head and sides hurt from laughing,,, :monkey: :monkey: :monkey:

Last edited:
In my kneck of the woods sawyers get a year out of a saw before they buy a new one. The old saw is relegated to back up. The saws might not be totaly worn out, but they are not reliable enough for the guys doing it daily to mess with. For a sawyer saws are cheap, messing around with a clapped out saw isnt.
Of course in my neck of the woods sawyers saw, another guy drives the skidder/forwarder and the truck driver loads with his self loader. If a sawyer was forced to cut, skid and load his own logs I can see how a saw would last for a few years. My wifes uncle was a gypo and he used a pair of 288's for years, but he wasnt operating saws near as much as a dedicated sawyer.
Rat,A chain saw will not last 12 years under constant use and that cant be argued with. If the saw you speak of are as old as you say they where not run very much.
BTW did you not read what John Ellision said? The oppinion of a pro trumps a salesman and a saw shop hanger on anyday of the week.

Thinking about it... 1 year is not typical out here. I have many pro customers including 4 lumber yards and one mill. The yard/mill saws are used constantly (not every second!) every day 6 days a week, and sure, after a year or two they sure look beat, but are running fine... Mostly 361 and 044. The lumber yards figure they start their saws 80 times a day... to cut big gluelams and other beams. Two of the yards have a "precision cutters" based on an 880 and a helper handle - used to cut units of 2x4 in one cut, a dozen or so times a day. Both of those saws are 3 years old and part from one unfortunate incident where diesel was put in the saw (new pistion, honed bore) , they have been super reliable.

I don't know of any local tree service that relegates a saw to backup after a year -most I see have saws new to 10 years old, and all are in use.
Cutting up some beams or 2x4's isnt like falling and bucking timber all day where the saw is only shot off the fuel and sharpen.
Ditto a tree service.
Even with a saw ran for a total run time of 2 hours a day a 12 year old saw would have over 6000 hours on it, which isnt going to happen with a chainsaw.

Last edited:
I just picked up two saws just before I made my PNW trip from the local Stihl dealer where I work part time that were traded in by a pro logger who used them for bucking, limbing, and falling,,,, one was an 046 and the other an 044 both originally bought the same day from our shop many years ago,,, and they were just taken off of their trucks in Feb 07,, BTW If these boys have work their saws get used everyday and sawin dont go on all day long,,, they gotta load the timber and get it out of tha woods too!!!!!,,,, and guess what he bought to take their place???? a MS 460 and a 440,,,,, The 044 has the old pre decomp style cylinder 044 serial #131099333 (andy or thall can you date this saw) had some issues with a slightly scored p/c and a couple of pieces of plastic were busted but the Cylinder cleaned right up and a new piston kit, and a metering diaphram in the carb is about all it needs,,, I pulled a crankcase pressure/vacumn test before I pulled it apart to check the seals & rod/crankcase bearings for excessive end play and they are in great shape and still very usable in fact the vacumm test held for over 10 minutes and the guage never moved,,, the 046 still runs but needs a new brake handle (cracked) and a few other minor things but the piston looks great and has over 150 lb. compression I dont know for sure but I'm pretty sure they are @ least 10-12 years old.... our shop dosent have media cat or even a computer,,, It's no secret,,, River is old school,,,,, so I cant verify the age But I know somebody can.... when I get back into town next weekend I will try to post some pics of the 046,,,, Quit jackin with Tom and go ride your jet ski or your motorcycle,,, yer makin my head and sides hurt from laughing,,, :monkey: :monkey: :monkey:

River I just sat here and ran that serial number. That saw is a 044, bought
October 6, 1997, ruffly 10 years old. The buyer was Jimmy Winberly, smart man that Jimmy is..

In my kneck of the woods sawyers get a year out of a saw before they buy a new one. The old saw is relegated to back up. The saws might not be totaly worn out, but they are not reliable enough for the guys doing it daily to mess with. For a sawyer saws are cheap, messing around with a clapped out saw isnt.
Of course in my neck of the woods sawyers saw, another guy drives the skidder/forwarder and the truck driver loads with his self loader. If a sawyer was forced to cut, skid and load his own logs I can see how a saw would last for a few years. My wifes uncle was a gypo and he used a pair of 288's for years, but he wasnt operating saws near as much as a dedicated sawyer.
A chain saw will not last 12 years under constant use and that cant be argued with.

Ben what is the most popular saw in your neck of the woods used by the sawyers you speak of??

Hey JOATMAN., a one-liner that doesn't rhyme?? I've come to expect more from you! :buttkick: :buttkick: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Some on this thread say, "On what side do you fall?",
But cool heads that prevail say, "I like them all!",

Let no one persude you based on what they know,
'Cause the opinion that matters is the one with the dough. ;)

Last edited:
Looks like the quote from Andy I put on here fired everybody back up!

But around here "Pro" husqvarna users run their saws 1-2 years max. We've seen that with customers running Dolmar's that used huskys previously. I would say stihl's & dolmars tend to get used longer under similar conditions. Except for the 020/200T which seem to only last 1-2 years and are shot.

But I'll agree with Ben with "For a sawyer saws are cheap, messing around with a clapped out saw isnt."

I know that there are a lot of old (20-25 year old) dolmars and stihls being used on a regular basis. But how many huskys of that age are still being used on a regular basis??

Steve

Rat,A chain saw will not last 12 years under constant use and that cant be argued with. If the saw you speak of are as old as you say they where not run very much.
BTW did you not read what John Ellision said? The oppinion of a pro trumps a salesman and a saw shop hanger on anyday of the week.

Cutting up some beams or 2x4's isnt like falling and bucking timber all day where the saw is only shot off the fuel and sharpen.
Ditto a tree service.
Even with a saw ran for a total run time of 2 hours a day a 12 year old saw would have over 6000 hours on it, which isnt going to happen with a chainsaw.

"Some 2x4" is roughly 4 feet x 4 feet... Even the 880's "feel it". "Beams" can be - 30 inches deep, X 8, and rock hard... and you obviously don't know our tree services... Most logging crews I see (real loggers) have a wide collection of saws IN USE, many quite old... But don't take my word for it... there's plenty of West coast loggers on this forum to speak up.

yes, 6000 hours is a lot - at least two top ends (maybe just pistons).

Last edited:
Most of the pros run either a 440, or 372.

Ok, both good saws though I haven't run a 372 hardly at all. I'm taking your word for I know you like those. I have a regular customer that runs mostly Stihl, he's a arborist, that has a 372 and he likes it.

Far as our tiss for tat over longivity let me put it to you this way Ben. Saws. garden tillers, washing machines, most anything other than a car is measured mostly by how long it has lasted, not how many hours it has been exactly used. A tiller last 10-20 seasons, the gardener has no clue how many hours he has on the engine. Are all gardens the same size, no. The washing lasted 15 years, how many loads of clothes, who knows. Are all familes the same size, no. Car/trucks can be measured by milage but even then if the body rusts aways in two years its not reflecting good on the maker. The truck may have 200,000 and never hauled anything, what does that prove about the truck. If it was loaded down all the time would it have lasted 200,000 miles, not likely. Is anyone gonna keep track of what they haul on thier trucks, no way.

Now I know you favor Husky as your choice of saw and thats fine. In my area Stihl rules. Its nothing to see old, I'm talking real old 028's, 031's, 026's, 041's, 056's, 064's coming in the shop all the time. Some look like deaths door but merely need a tune up. Many 044/440's, 046/460's and 066's/660 come in from tree service companies needing broken break handles replaced, snapped off gas tank housings and other odd's and ends. These saws are used and used alot. How many exact hours they put on them I haven't a clue but these guys do know when they bought these saws. 5-7 years old is common among these guys. 10-12yrs , yes thats getting up there but I have these two saws in question sitting at the shop, neither is worth a dayumm but they did serve the man well, he wasn't complaining one bit. He will probly replace them both with a new 460's and who can blame him, they serve him well. I see no possible way to measure your theory on how many hours these saws run. I think the guy that owns them looks at them just like most people do washing machines, its so and so years old and that how they measure them..

Boy, I'm missing a good one here. I'm a Husky guy, but I won't ever throw rocks at Stihl. And I too know guys who get quite a few years out of a saw. Many people are running saws that are 20 years old.

But the term "constant use" needs some kind of definition, and I think the owner of the 2 saws in question needs to check the dictionary.

But from what I think the word means, Ben's math is really indisputable. 18,000 hours? At 13,000 RPM's? That's just silly. Nobody builds 'em that good.

But how many huskys of that age are still being used on a regular basis??

Steve

Precisely 16,423!

I think the Stihl shops see the old Stihls, The Husky shops see the old Huskys, and you guys of course see the old Dolmars.

But as far as the amount of 031's and saws of that era are concerned, it would have to be attributed to the fact that Husky wasn't anywhere near the big player then that they are now. And Stihl certainly already was.

BTW, I checked on a backordered oil pump for a certain brand saw and was told it wasn't going to be in the country until August. A spirited reaction inspired a more thorough search which turned one up in Michigan. August. (Thanks again for helping me out with that gasket.)

Boy, I'm missing a good one here. I'm a Husky guy, but I won't ever throw rocks at Stihl. And I too know guys who get quite a few years out of a saw. Many people are running saws that are 20 years old.

But the term "constant use" needs some kind of definition, and I think the owner of the 2 saws in question needs to check the dictionary.

But from what I think the word means, Ben's math is really indisputable. 18,000 hours? At 13,000 RPM's? That's just silly. Nobody builds 'em that good.

LOL, good one Spike. I constantly drive my truck to work everyday of the week all year long. I drive 11 miles a day,LOL

I think my calulator is just as accurate as Bens and I constantly use it,:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Messing with you Spike. I know Ben's calulations are right. My Magtag is 10 years old, I've used it constantly since the day I bought it, how many loads I do not know, I'll call Ben and find out,:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
Precisely 16,423!

I think the Stihl shops see the old Stihls, The Husky shops see the old Huskys, and you guys of course see the old Dolmars.

But as far as the amount of 031's and saws of that era are concerned, it would have to be attributed to the fact that Husky wasn't anywhere near the big player then that they are now. And Stihl certainly already was.

BTW, I checked on a backordered oil pump for a certain brand saw and was told it wasn't going to be in the country until August. A spirited reaction inspired a more thorough search which turned one up in Michigan. August. (Thanks again for helping me out with that gasket.)

Spike,
121 of those gaskets showed up this week;). And I saw that there were none of those pumps on backorder and figured they transferred one.

Hey the Solo rep is going to be back this week with some new Solo's! Should I send him your way?:laugh:

Steve

Last edited:
I think my calulator is just as accurate as Bens and I constantlty use it,:hmm3grin2orange: :

Here's a good calculator excersize: Guy came in the store with a cigar in his mouth that looked like a piece of firewood. We asked him how much it cost. He said, "don't ever get hooked on this habit. They're $8 each. And I do about 4 a day" $11,680 a year!

Back