new 395

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steeltree 1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hey guys, Just picked up a new husky 395 today, 33" bar. Probably get it on the procut this weekend.
This represents a serious investment of hard earned coin for me.
Any do's or don'ts would be greatly appreciated. I expect a lot from this saw, including many years of trouble free service.
Should I use premium fuel?, manual says easy on the saw for the first 10 hours. How do you accomplish this on a mill??
Thanks for the help.

Running in tips

Here are a few tips to start your new saws life.

As a fully qualified small engine expert, I was always taught to warm up a new motor slowly, as this lets the piston expand to bed in the rings, take her up to working temprature then let here cool down, before you knock her off let the motor idle for a few seconds as this helps to cool down the cylider
properly.

Never turn the motor off immediately after working her hard or she will stay hotter for longer afterwards, sometimes drying out the oil in the bore and the fuel in the carb, making her harder to start again later, the first ten minutes of starting any motor from cold is when anywear is going to occur.

Use only the best fully synthetic 2 stroke oil, as this produces next to no smoke and burns very clean, if you store her away for long periods, drain the fuel in the tank or it will go off, the fuel in the carb can also evaporate leaving the oil behind, making starting harder when you bring her out of hibernation.

All these senarios most people will never do and get away with it, such is the relative reliability of a modern saw, but every little helps in the long run.

Rail gives some very good advice here. Just to add to it a little, I was told by some very knowledgeable members here to run about 5-6 tanks of fuel through it before you slam it on the mill. Also use premium gas. I bought a new 395 about 6 months ago and am very pleased with it. Also I run 40:1 mix in mine. Dont know if this is necessary but I always liked my saws a tad rich on the oil. Good luck.

Rail gives some very good advice here. Just to add to it a little, I was told by some very knowledgeable members here to run about 5-6 tanks of fuel through it before you slam it on the mill. Also use premium gas. I bought a new 395 about 6 months ago and am very pleased with it. Also I run 40:1 mix in mine. Dont know if this is necessary but I always liked my saws a tad rich on the oil. Good luck.

Good advice so far.

Youll also want to fatten up the high side while its in the mill. I run my 660 around 10.5 to 11 grand while its milling.

I ran about 8 tanks of gas through my brand new 395 before milling with it. Way I did that was to stick a smaller bar on it, and used it everywhere I would have used my smaller 365, felling small trees, bucking, firewood cutting etc. Didn't take long to burn through 8 tanks that way. I have to admit the only way I could wait that long before milling with it was that I have an MS460 I used in the csm while waiting for the 395 to get a few hours on it. Without that second large (sort of) saw, I'm not sure I would have had the patience to wait that long.

As rail says, I've always fired up my saws and let them warm up for a minute or so before working them hard in a cut. Just seemed like the right thing to do.

I want one too!

Well so far you have the warm up/down crowd giving answers. I FULLY CONCUR, but you will find (I've seen it here before) fellows who believe that WFO is the only way to go and that there is no need to allow the hinter parts of the saw to come up to temp, nor allow the fuel/air flow at idle to help normalize the temps on shutdown.

There may not be a difference in the long run, but it's easier for me to treat my 2-stroke stuff just like I treat my 4-cycle engines- gas and diesel.

If there were room for a pyrometer on the saw--I'd have one. Use one daily on the pickup.

hey guys, Just picked up a new husky 395 today, 33" bar. Probably get it on the procut this weekend.
This represents a serious investment of hard earned coin for me.
Any do's or don'ts would be greatly appreciated. I expect a lot from this saw, including many years of trouble free service.
Should I use premium fuel?, manual says easy on the saw for the first 10 hours. How do you accomplish this on a mill??
Thanks for the help.
Did you buy the saw from Uncle Gibby Lane

Congrats on your new saw. I took my 3120 and ran it cutting firewood for about ten tanks before I ran it on my mill. That was a long ten tanks at 25 pounds:chainsaw:

Latest posts

Back