New 575xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well the theory is it only needs to be tuned without the caps once... on pre inspection by the educated dealer.

I imagine that internet sales contributed to the bad reputation also

well the theory is it only needs to be tuned without the caps once... on pre inspection by the educated dealer.

I imagine that internet sales contributed to the bad reputation also

True but the fact is a lot of dealers don't want to take the time to do it right either.... So I am not so sure about the internet sales thing. All you have to do is buy one then look on good old AS to see how to tune. :cheers: Heck I want to get one now just so I can tune it :) I see them on CL for 400-500 once in a while.. Stick it in wood next to my other huskys see if its as good as you say.

lake... you've been quiet lately

Been real busy... Summer will grind to a screaming halt in the next few weeks.... maybe even by Tuesday it appears..:cry:

But I am watching you...:greenchainsaw:

As for tuning.... The saws are tuned at the factory as part of an EPA approved test-cell process (with Stihl all are tested at full power, one in 250 - 1 in 100 for California - are tested for emissions. If the tested unit fails, all prior 100 or 250 require emissions testing). Unless you live a long way below sea-level, or, above about 4000 feet, the saw won't require "retuning". It's extremely rare that I tune a Stihl on delivery. I do run it and listen, almost never need to tach it, and pretty much never have to reset the H jet or limiter. As the limiter caps are set by the factory at the max permissible rich position", it would be a real pain to remove/replace them for each saw.

AS for 13k plus another 3/4 turn - isn't that just because of the 575's limiter? Personally, I hate that way of tuning - last Stihl we had to do that on was the 064 way back in the early 90's/.

Last edited:
yeah 13k is for the limiter. try convincing someone to set to 13k and turn in 3/4, its impossible!

im a firm believer of giving full retune out of the box. screw emissions, ill set the saw up so its performing at its best in the wood rather than its best on a gas analyser!

ported

well guys, been a while but the brand new 575xp has its exhaust ported, limiters removed and l screw turned out 1/2 turn and the h screw out 1/4-1/2 turn. now with a 28" bar itll run circles round the 357. Although the 575 didnt gain as much from the mods as the 357, least its not quite as noticable difference.
the 575 has 2-1/2" pipes in the muffler and the internals removed then re assembled. Now the wife really knows when im cuttin wood, its loud but nice.
And i just wanted to say thanks for all you guys help.
Andy

well guys, been a while but the brand new 575xp has its exhaust ported, limiters removed and l screw turned out 1/2 turn and the h screw out 1/4-1/2 turn. now with a 28" bar itll run circles round the 357. Although the 575 didnt gain as much from the mods as the 357, least its not quite as noticable difference.
the 575 has 2-1/2" pipes in the muffler and the internals removed then re assembled. Now the wife really knows when im cuttin wood, its loud but nice.
And i just wanted to say thanks for all you guys help.
Andy

Glad you got it running good, but it should have ran circles around the 357 right out of the box. Some strato saws have not seen the same gains from muffler mods as older saws. You probably got most of your gains by removing the caps and getting fuel to the saw. Have fun

Latest posts

Back