New Aftermarket Jugs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It produced good torque and would be a fine work saw, from a porting/modding prespective there were some limitations with respect to port locations and head volume, but going all out with a 2 piece head those chalenges would vanish.

On my ported 066 the OEM jug turns up over 15,200, the ported big bore about 14,400, but they are pretty close on the stop watch.

At a third the cost, makes you think.

I will let it speak for it's self, woods ported bb, pump gas, 3 cuts in 11.5 inch poplar 3.63:rock:

It produced good torque and would be a fine work saw, from a porting/modding prespective there were some limitations with respect to port locations and head volume, but going all out with a 2 piece head those chalenges would vanish.

On my ported 066 the OEM jug turns up over 15,200, the ported big bore about 14,400, but they are pretty close on the stop watch.

At a third the cost, makes you think.

I will let it speak for it's self, woods ported bb, pump gas, 3 cuts in 11.5 inch poplar 3.63:rock:

Awesome!!!

Considering your results for even the ported jugs are about the same, It seems like a lot of messing around for someone that just wants a cylinder that costs less then OEM. Surely just a NON BB quality aftermarket Jug would make more sense for most of the market?

If I'm fitting a jug for a customer though the store , I won't be modding the case or ports. I buy Tecomec jugs (limited models available) over Stihl for price, but they plug straight in.

As of now, we stock the standard 54mm kit (CK 066) and are just testing the big bore 56mm kit (BB 066) to see if there is much interest and if the extra work makes sense. The next production run of big bore kits will really be up to the saw builders recommendations. For the guy who just wants to rebuild a smoked saw, its hard to argue with the standard kit for the price.

For most users the quality aftermarket standard size kit works fine. Arboristsite users are a special breed, always looking to push the envelope or and walk the edge! I would like a BB jug though, punched out to 57.5mm so I can use a thin-ring Poulan 655 piston.:greenchainsaw:

next kit

I have said it before but I would love to see the 346 moved up to 44mm. I would like to see a nice comb. chamber and the quad loop ports.

I bet you would get a lot of action off from that one.

As of now, we stock the standard 54mm kit (CK 066) and are just testing the big bore 56mm kit (BB 066) to see if there is much interest and if the extra work makes sense. The next production run of big bore kits will really be up to the saw builders recommendations. For the guy who just wants to rebuild a smoked saw, its hard to argue with the standard kit for the price.

When will the next batch of 56mm kits be coming in. I may want one also?

Can anything be done at this point to reduce the head volume a bit on the BB066 to get a bit higher compression?

There is not a huge amount of metal to be removed on the 066 BB installation but that may vary from one to the next on individual saws. As in the picture by TW, metal had to be removed from the sides to accomodate the piston diameter; the marks on the bearing bosses were not accidental hits by the burr! Material also had to be removed to clear the bottom length of the piston. Again this may vary according to the particular crankcase casting. You should not merely shorten the piston for bottom clearance as it further affects intake timing on one hand and the piston also has not a lot of extra length to cover the bottom of the exhaust port on the other side. It takes a few cut and test assembly trys to be sure you have complete clearance plus a margin. As Lakeside mentioned, you would not want to be paying or absorbing shop labour rate for the time involved but it is not a problem for someone who enjoys hands on detail work.

When will the next batch of 56mm kits be coming in. I may want one also?

We should be getting a new shipment of big bore kits in at the end of the month. Again, these will only fits saws with modified crankcases. They will be on sale for $109.95 until June 1st.

Good to know, I want to cut the head off one and see what it can do, but did not want to hack the one I had up if they were going to become as rare as an AMC cobra.

So is the head volume fixed or can the dies be altered so that there's a bit more compression with the next batch of cylinders?

It is a shame you can not get any McCulloch SP125C cylinders and pistons.

someone should just start make'n a copy of the mc 101-if you can get $750 for a used 1 thats 20+yrs old and dont even no if it runs what could you get for a new and improved 1 - it fits many old mac saws and alot of other apps as well

So is the head volume fixed or can the dies be altered so that there's a bit more compression with the next batch of cylinders?

The head volume is fixed for now. Be sure you are using the .5 mm cylinder gasket (1122 029 2301) and not the 1.0mm (1122 029 2306) cylinder gasket.

Cylinders: We will be testing a batch of cylinders coated with Nikasil instead of Chrome. We are told the coating should last 20-30% longer, but we want to be sure the added cost is worth it. We are also implementing a much more stringent 3rd party testing program to ensure lemons don't make it on the boat.
The nikasil should be good. VW guys who squeeze retardedly huge amounts of power out of little 4-cylinder VW engines pretty much agree LN Engineering's Nickies are the best cylinders you can buy... but they cost a fortune.

Edit: oops, forgot the link: http://www.lnengineering.com/ - just in case you're curious.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back