New and Dry Chainsaws in airplane luggage.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Douglas

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi All,
Can someone tell me if it is okay to pack a new, never fueled or oiled chainsaw in luggage going into the hold of a commercial airliner. The bar and chain would be in a separate suitcase. I plan to purchase a new Husky 372xp and bring it back to Ireland.

Thanks Eire

I would check with the airline. My guess is there not going to like it.

IMO - pack it up real well and send it on its' way. As long as there has been no oil or fuel...it'll be ok. Sometimes what they don't know won't hurt them and you keep that can of worms closed.

I believe it is probably handled the same way as all tools, technical & electronic equipment. You must package it specifically for cargo where it will not be mixed in with the luggage (different compartments), declare it as work tools & chaisaw, saw is new has never had gas or oil in it. Remove the bar and chain and package them with the power head but try and keep the package as small as possible as they will surely charge extra for it.

Good luck,

They do an xray check of EVERYTHING going onto a plane these days, so I wouldnt advise you to put it in your luggage. if you get it packed and declared as a tool, with no oil or gas ever having been in it, they'll probably not give you much trouble shipping it properly.

Douglas said:
Hi All,
Can someone tell me if it is okay to pack a new, never fueled or oiled chainsaw in luggage going into the hold of a commercial airliner. The bar and chain would be in a separate suitcase. I plan to purchase a new Husky 372xp and bring it back to Ireland. Thanks Eire

Is there really such a thing as a never fuelled and oiled saw on the market?

Don't they at least have to put some fuel in it to set the carb at the factory?
:blob2:

Guys,
Thanks to all for the bumbpf. My limited experience is that most new saws are bone dry and you can not even get a wiff of gas from them. Perhaps they clean them well but I suspect they are never fueled - it should be possible to do this in a well designed production facility. Yes local dealers should fire them up before selling but if one is purchasing to take across the sea then local service is of less concern and I am happy enough to purchase the saw untested by a local shop.

It makes more sense for me to purchase at the lowest price as I will need to pay 21% VAT plus customs handling charges plus possibly some duty even if manufactured in the EU. A Husqvarna 372XP might cost $1188 in Ireland while bringing one back from the States and paying all the VAT (sales tax essentially), shipping and other charges might be $760. This is a big difference. You can also see why one wants the lowest price as it is going to have charges levied pro-rata in Ireland. So guys when you complain about Wal-mart or Lowes or the big mail order houses perhaps you might consider how much we would enjoy these facilities here. You are very well served in the States. My Husky 350 cost $792 in a local shop.

I have often brought back mulitple chains and bars without any trouble in my luggage. You can take carving knives if you wish as long as they are inside your luggage which then goes in the hold. I am careful about placing a chain saw head in my luggage in case they refuse me at JFK and one is facing the prospect of abandoining a $535 (Baileys) head unit. I will as suggested check with the airline and if the answer is no will check with USPS and or FED EX about shipping before making my purchase. Baileys will not ship this chain saw directly to Ireland.

Again thanks to all of you for your insights. You are a good group and this is an interesting site which I enjoy reading - probably a sign of a warped mind.

Thanks Again Doug

I would be very surprised that they are all tested out.

I would tend to believe that random sampling is done on some.

Last edited:
Douglas, wouldn't it be cheaper to ship it and have it come from a friend or someone here and list it as a "gift"?

I have sent stuff to the UK and I thought that was the way the buyer avoided problems. For that matter run 1/2 tank through it, get it a little dirty and it looks used if they inspect it.

Seems like there are some ways around the VAT and duties.

Saw shipped okay

Hi All,
I did as suggested and called American Airlines, my carrier in this instance. They informed me that I could ship a new saw in its original box with its documentation. The understanding being that the saw was new, dry and had never been used. Considerable emphasis was placed on the saw being in its original box. At JFK, I declared the saw to be in my bag to both the check in people and security. They told me that the bag would most likely be opened but it seems that it was just x-rayed as the cable ties used to seal the bag were uncut. The saw was taken by me from JFK to London Heathrow so I would think domestic shipping is not a problem. Of course the last thing anyone wants in the hold is a flammable so best not play games.

Regards Doug

Back