New At It in My Old Age ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm new to it also but i am only 18 but i say go for it man age is just a number dont let people tell you not to start something because your "too old" Theres arborist that climb daily that are 50 and 60 yrs old the oldest ive ever heard of the guy was like 84 and climbed daily so go for it man.

If your passion for trees only developed after you got laid off, id recommend you find another career. This line of work can be thankless.

If your passion for trees only developed after you got laid off, id recommend you find another career. This line of work can be thankless.

My passion for Trees started at an early age ,my grandmother and mother would walk around here and point out and name Trees to me ..... Grandfather built Log homes ... Construction I worked with wood ...... Anything I can do with wood ............

I was 50 when I started climbing some 4 years ago. Where in NC are you ?

Rick

Got layed off in Asheville ,went out to Murphy and Andrews ,Topton with a little side work and a lot of trout fishing,I will work my way back to Asheville in the Fall ,maybe before...........

I'm new to it also but i am only 18 but i say go for it man age is just a number dont let people tell you not to start something because your "too old" Theres arborist that climb daily that are 50 and 60 yrs old the oldest ive ever heard of the guy was like 84 and climbed daily so go for it man.

It would be cool to work that long around trees..........

Age only matters in your head. I'm 53 and been climbing my whole life.(or so it seems) If that is what you really what to do go for it,
but if your thinking of it as a way to make a few bucks because constructions slow, you should rethink it. This business isn't thriving
in this economy. My wife is always on me to find a real job. There are some really good and experience climbers who are looking to get out of this profession for lack of work.
I won't even go on about age discrimination. All that being said, my Dad's 76 and he still sometimes get back up in the trees to do a
little climbing. Good luck, but think it out. Beastmaster

Thank you ! That means a lot to me ! Do you go to school for arboriculture ?

No problem man but no i dont go to school for it i just want to do it as a hobby you know how they say if you do something you love as a job its no longer a hobby anymore so i dont want that to happen

The Biltmore hosts Arbormaster training once a year. It is spendy, but a lot can be learned in a few days.

My passion for Trees started at an early age ,my grandmother and mother would walk around here and point out and name Trees to me ..... Grandfather built Log homes ... Construction I worked with wood ...... Anything I can do with wood ............
Well if the passion is there then i say go for it and good luck. like most on here are saying age is what you make of it. work as though your 20 again. welcome.

You know with a ISA cert. and a two year degree, theres lots of cool jobs that are available in arborculture. As in lots of professions
the less you do, the more money you make. This hold true in the tree world as well. Production manager, tree counter, superviser, line clearance spotter(or what ever they call them selfs). Seek and you should find. Beastmaster

At My Old Age

Hi All,

I'm 42, was laid off in 2008 and haven't had a decent job since (mostly no job). I am thinking about a tree service as well, but... While I am jobless though, I can do some useful tree cutting around the house.

My Arborism is because I am surrounded by a 100 or so pine trees with various states of beetle infestation. I have cleared those nearest the house, but these things are really tall and much more work is necessary.

I have learned to cable and winch these trees down with good precision. By this fall, I will be up to the side where I will have to climb and drop parts. I bought some gaffs on ebay, and now I need a belt or harness. What are my best choices on an unemployed budget? Are the linesman belts OK?

BTW, I grew up in Asheville, miss it, but it has become a little west coast oasis with costs so high that I can't afford to move back!
Cheers!

Like the other guys have said, don't worry about your age. If you want a change its important to do something you like to do. At 50 I started a tree service business because I didn't want to take overtime shifts at my regular job. I'd had a lot of experience with treework and chainsaw work from previous jobs and it was great to get back to it. My business is in the fourth year now (winter is quite slow here) and have never had so much job satisfaction. I can't afford to quit my other employment but those are the breaks.
Good luck with your decision.

Latest posts

Back