New bar for the 5020

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please cut some stuff and report back on how that combination works, and how the saw handles and feels with the short, stout bar on it.

I’m thinking the short bar would offset some of the boxy, bulky configuration of the powerhead...but does it balance well? Does the hard nose act as a power-sucker? Never used a hard nose bar
before, I don’t think.

Please cut some stuff and report back on how that combination works, and how the saw handles and feels with the short, stout bar on it.

I’m thinking the short bar would offset some of the boxy, bulky configuration of the powerhead...but does it balance well? Does the hard nose act as a power-sucker? Never used a hard nose bar
before, I don’t think.
how about this one?P_20200514_143122_LL.jpg

I ran a 16" 3/8 setup on my 5020 until I did the muffler mod and now run a full 72 DL 20" on it. In stock form it pulled the 16 a lot better than the 20". It is very adequate with the 20" even in hardwood now that it has the MM.

How many DL chain for that 14" bar?

What did you do for the muffler mod?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
I just turned the front of the muffler into swiss cheese with a 1/4" bit. A number of small holes increases flow but does not make it obnoxious and crackly like a large exit hole does. Some people say it is redneck but for a $20 saw it works well. There are pics in the 5020 thread.

Makes a huge difference in power IMO. Be sure to retune.

I am seriously considering a shorter bar for my 5020.

(And a piston ring and maybe piston from my recent not-conservative-enough tuning adjustment. Saw still runs and cuts but feels like some of its get up and go musta got up and went.

Although switching to Stihl RM semi-chisel chain from the stock Vanguard sure makes a difference. Grabbier, but throws quite the chips shower.

I just turned the front of the muffler into swiss cheese with a 1/4" bit. A number of small holes increases flow but does not make it obnoxious and crackly like a large exit hole does. Some people say it is redneck but for a $20 saw it works well. There are pics in the 5020 thread.

I drilled 8 1/4" holes in the muffler. That made a huge difference.

I drilled 8 1/4" holes in the muffler. That made a huge difference.

Would this work on a 4218?

Unfortunately, the shorter bar is a little too tall on the tail end. The oiler hole extends past the mounting plate. It oils the bar, but a lot of oil runs out beside the bar in front of the sprocket. Oh well.
Hmm, wonder what pattern that is. What Pioneer saw did it come from?

Latest posts

Back