New belly line setup?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
If you guys have the new Sherrills catalog laying around, check out the last page, and page 15. There is a new belly line system which I am going to try out this spring when I start doing some nice removals again. It looks like a really safe and fairly easy / cheap system to set up.

Is anybody on here already using this setup? For how long? Any feedback?

-Thanx

There new catalog is out? when did you receive it? O boy new toys on the way........

Sorry Dave. I thought that this was the 2002 catalog, but I just looked and its the 2001. So the pages I just said in the 2001 book.

The friction saver prusik? I dislike any flip line thats not Stiff like a leather Polestrap its to much trouble to advance it. but it does look safer beets a double wrap anyway.

I saw it demoed at an arbormaster presentation. I think it is intended to be used as a "flip line" only when blocking or toping a tree that might spilt on you. It is rigged so that it might hold the tree together, and will allow you to descend at the same time.
The only time I break out the pole strap is when I am working a pine tree with a lot of vines, the stiffness does make it esier to advance, but the adjustability sucks.
Greg

I hope to wrap up the catalog this week, proofread next week, and then send it off to the printer, so it won't be long now. We have redone the friction saver prusik description. Here's a sneak peak.
frictionsavertease.jpg

-Sean

I don't get it, how is that supposed to keep from spreading if the crotch splits? Won't the line give slack with enough pressure? Too much extra stuff, I do like the looks of the 2-n-1 lanyard , haven't tried it yet.

theoreticly it will stop at your friction hitch and not crush you to the three. the hopfully you can either cut yourself out or wait for a resuce.

I wonder if it has been tested on a dummy?

If that happens to me i dont think i'd have the same smile on my face the fellow in the example has. :eek:

DDM,

That setup uses a friction saver, which is pretty stiff. So it would flip nicely, methinks.

I saw it last spring in the catalog, too. Then I talked about it with Ken Palmer. He also showed its use at last spring's Arbormaster training. It is just something they played with as an added option. Where it would be useful is for removals when you want two tie ins for chunking or wood lowering. It could be easily used to rappell down a few feet, then cut your wedge out, loosen up and jiggle the setup down to below the wedge cut, cinch up, rig and cut away. It is a gear intensive option to just using a choked lifeline with a long tail (any piece of line or a couple slings will suffice) The tail allows retrieval of the choked line.

John, I wouldn't be without a stiff steel core flip line, for 100 % of removals, and some pruning. I have mine set up with a Gibbs, and it isnt a quick off, so I use it on most pruning jobs, even though it gets in the way a bit. When i get one of the new modular Buckinghams, i'll have two saddle, one each for pruning and removals. Admittedly, out west with our big conifers, monster cottonwoods, etc, most of our work is a bit different that up your way.

Roger

Isnt the idea that if the spar splits it feeds as much of your climbing line thru the setup to compensate as is necessary so you can descend normally in case of such an emergency ?

The ring on the false crotch would slide the hitch and let climbing line out. Then when the tree breaks off and snaps back, you drop down as far as the amount of slack that was pulled out. So if it pulls 6' of rope through your hitch, you drop 3'.

You will also have your lanyard attached below this set up, which plays into the whole situation. If your lanyard is attached at the center, it won't crush you to death, it would just tighten up and either break, or stop the wood from tearing. If your lanyard is still attached at the side D rings, better hope it doesn't get tight.

Actually DDM, the guy is screaming. Much like I was yesterday, when I realized that it was 4:30 in the morning and I was still at work. Yep, catalog time; I rarely know what day or time it is.
-Sean
FSP.jpg

Hey DDM,
I've used the friction saver prusick for chunking down large wood and it is very handy. I had it setup below my lanyard as a second tie in, it also makes it easier and faster to come out of the tree whithout a natural crotch. As far as it goes for stopping the tree from spliting I was always taught not to use your climbing gear for such things. If in doubt tie a pull line on to stop it from splitting. If it's a totally unexpected split... good luck to ya! :eek:

Smith

Sean, the American Arborist cat came in today. I flipped trough it for a few seconds and trew it in with the other stuff in a box under my desk.

Be assured I always look at each page of the Sherrill catalog. God conversation peice when eating out with one of my clients!

Tell Tobe we said you need a bonus!

Sean i think one of the best things youve done is start selling from the Vermeer stores! i think ive stopped by our local twice this week already very convenient! How many new goodies will be in the new catalog?

JPS, Thanks. I've already started dropping subtle hints.
DDM, That makes us very happy. It's only been a year, but we have gotten a better response than expected from both Vermeer dealers and customers. This is a great program, and we're working hard to get the dealers set up so even more people can enjoy the benefits you're experiencing.

As far as new stuff, I can't really give too much away, but I'll leak a couple things:

We have 4 new ropes. They're 16 strands. Three of them will be available to purchase, and the fourth one will be used specifically for spliced goods.

As expected, we will be carrying the Pro Series saddles in addition to the ArborMaster series. Below is a picture of "our" Pro Series Master II.

We are also going to be carrying a new pulley from CMI (also pictured below). Its a double-micro pulley. Of course, at picture time, there was only a purple prototype available, so I had to work my magic and change its colors.

We've also added many new books, some vids, and several other gadgets. The layout of the catalog isn't much different. I did fix the typos (Auger But and Buc Puds). There's a few new layout changes, like the pole pruner pages below. The big challenge this year is beating last year's cover, so I guess I'd better get out of here and back to work. Thanks!

-Sean

prosrsmaster.jpg
ggdouble.jpg

pagetease.jpg

Back