New chains cut like a knife thru butter-how to keep them that way?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't see well enough to file square.....

........at least that's the excuse I'm using today.

I file by brail more or less ,seems to work ,i just set the file in the outside corner so they sort of line up ,then rest the bottom of the file on the tie strap ,i have no idea what angles they are ,maybe a 25 top plate ,but it seems to cut pretty good ,like i said this is how i got the cutter in that pic earlier sharp ,if i can do it ,i am sure others could also if they had some tips to start with

also with square file outside in ,your file stroke should lightly be touching the tie strap holding the file like in my pictures square file 001.JPGsquare file 2 055.jpgsquare file 2 049.jpg

I have a harder time with the left hand cutters ,if i get the chain real tight on the bar on the saw ,and set the chain brake ,that seems to help so the cutters do not rock when trying to file ,i am not a very good lefty

I have a harder time with the left hand cutters ,if i get the chain real tight on the bar on the saw ,and set the chain brake ,that seems to help so the cutters do not rock when trying to file ,i am not a very good lefty

You may want to try my paint stirrer trick to immobilize the teeth. It does work well, improved my sharpening a lot, and I was using a crummy Stihl file.

Thanks Randy, but I have more questions. Why don't they do it on 3/8? Also, I know from some of your demonstrations that it can cut faster, but does it hold up as well, or is it geared more toward competition?

We do it on 3/8 too Mike, it's just that I've never seen .325 factory square.

We do it on 3/8 too Mike, it's just that I've never seen .325 factory square.
And you talk about smooth...
3/8 may be a little faster, but that square .325 you guys been churnin out is a limbing dream... Super smooth!!
A little more challenging to file, due to less space to work under the cutter, but very nice...

I believed you the first time Randy. For my knowledge, what kind of wood are you cutting?

The RS has always done well for me in green wood, including Ash, Oak, Apple, Locust & Walnut, but Hickory seems to slow it right down and dead Locust can be the worst. A dead, dry White Oak was pretty tough also.

Square won't dull any quicker than round chisel. I actually get better life out of the square then round. The little tiny point on round chisel goes away quick if you hit something.

Yes it is Matt. I remember the first GTG at Jeremy's place. I saw firsthand what sort of difference chain made......those boys about laughed me out when I broke out my saws with my freshly "sharpened" chains.

Latest posts

Back