new chainsaw choice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klayton

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
ok i already have a 372xp that my dad gave me afer he blew the piston and now i have put a nwp kit in it from baileys. now i need a lightweight saw to do some limbing around the house and i am thinking of taking out a huge sweetgum in the front yard using this saw as a good saw to climb to the top with and cut out branches and such before i cut the whole thing down. i am thinking of getting the echo 352 for a lightweight saw. thoughts?

The Dolmar 421 sounds like a great fit for your needs.

attachment.php

I have actually had decent luck with the Stihl homeowner stuff. However, for a few bucks more the Dolmar is in a totally different league. The Dolmar 350 is a little heavy but a great saw. Of course you could step up to the 5100 or 5105 and have what I consider the best all around saw for the money. Just so hard to beat the 5100 for the price.

Echo cs400 is a good little saw. 300 dollars. Adjustable oiler. Get a full comp chain. I love mine... I had a ms250 the echo is a lot better. Dolmar 5105 is great too. I use to have one. Those dolmars are hot rods out of box. No mods needed...

after more research

i still like the weight and reviews on the echo saw. the dolmar 421 is 2 lbs heavier so i really dont want the added weight. although the dolmar ps32 is about the same weight and it looks very nice....... thoughts on that saw? i also like the efco 4100 because it has a huge power to weight ratio..... thoughts on that saw?

i still like the weight and reviews on the echo saw. the dolmar 421 is 2 lbs heavier so i really dont want the added weight. although the dolmar ps32 is about the same weight and it looks very nice....... thoughts on that saw? i also like the efco 4100 because it has a huge power to weight ratio..... thoughts on that saw?

Yes the Dolmar is heavier. However it's a mag case pro saw, that also runs like a 50cc saw, nothing on the market comes close. The ps32 is an OK saw, but it has a plastic case like the Echo and a lot less power like the Echo. I've ran most of the smaller saws on the market, and trust me when I say, you want the Dolmar 421. In about 10 minutes you can delete almost a pound of weight by removing the cat in the muffler can.

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vMgXsEMuysE?hl=en_US&amp;version=3&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vMgXsEMuysE?hl=en_US&amp;version=3&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Last edited:
dolmar 421

that looks pretty awesome!!:)
do you think the cat actually weighs a pound?

dolmar 421

my 372 has a sproket rim which i like. how do you go about putting a sproket rim on that saw?
or any saw for that matter?

dolmar 421

i think i am sold.... that looks like a wood hungry saw. just by watching it cut i think it might out perform my dads new 271 sthil

i think i am sold.... that looks like a wood hungry saw. just by watching it cut i think it might out perform my dads new 271 sthil

Don't think it would hang with a 261, actually I know it won't. Nevertheless it's a phenomenal little saw. The video was taken the day I bought the saw, it's picked up a bit now that it's broken in.:cheers:

Latest posts

Back