New Chainsaw...need convincing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumboldtGilles

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello everyone, new to the site. I've been browsing here for the last couple of months and have finally narrowed down my choices for a saw. I am almost dead set on the Husqvarna 562XP, but I am wondering if this will be too much of an investment for what I'll be doing? My wife and I live on a 5 acre property up in the mountains of Oregon. We get frequent wind storms that blow down branches and sometimes trees during the winter time, and right now my property is a mess. My 1977 Echo CS302 is taking a dump on me and its kind of a sketchy saw anyways, so I want something in the "1 saw plan" and I feel as if the 562XP is a great choice from what I've read. Besides property maintenance, there are many retired folk up here that cannot cut their own firewood, so I am considering starting a small local firewood business to supply these people with wood for next winter. These people also pay me to keep up their properties (shoveling snow in winter, wood clearing and property clean up in Spring). We are kind of on a tight budget, but I don't mind spending the money on a good saw if this will pay itself back in a few months, and last me longer than a "homeowner/ranch" saw will. The other saw that I am thinking of is the Husqvarna 550XP, but not sure if it will meet all my needs. My local saw dealer quoted me for $699.99 out the door for the 562XP, and from what I've seen online this is the best deal I can find, and they also have the equipment to service the saw. I considered buying a used saw but cant find any 562's locally, and I figure having the 5 year warranty would be a plus.

Thanks in advance for your insight, I see there's lots of knowledgeable people on here,

Cheers,
HumboldtGilles

I went 555. If I needed bigger than a 20" bar I would have went 562xp for the extra $. I am more than pleased with its performance. The price was the same for a 550xp and 555 for me at my dealer with 20" bar/chain.

"Best firewood saw" is said quite a bit here about the 555. I paid $585 OTD for mine.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sounds like you've done some homework. I don't know that much about Husky's, so I can't help you in that respect.

But, I do know that whatever you buy, take proper care of it and maintain it properly. If you do so, whatever you buy will serve you well over the years.

Good luck to you!

60cc saws can be real good work horses. If money where a little tight I would look real hard at a Dolmar 6100 or even less money the echoes 590. Both are of great quality and very seldom hear of any problems.
If there is not a 562 local you may want to check and see if any local shops will even work on them.

I looked into Dolmar, but I don't have anyone who sells them or services them around me, basically comes down to Stihl, Husqvarna, or Echo. I did consider the Echo 590, and I'm still open to it, but the Husky dealer seems more competent than the Echo guy, and they are also closer to me if anything needs warranty service.

You are on a CS302? That's the chainsaw I learned cutting and working on. It was also the first saw I broke up for spares.
Let me tell you one thing: anything modern you are going to buy is like using a lightsaber compared to it. :laugh:

As the others said, look into a 60cc saw. They are great workhorses and the best call if you can afford a single saw for every job.
It may surprise you to know Echo is probably the best bang for the buck right now. Look into the CS600 and the CS620. Plenty of threads on the forums about them.

:cool: love my 562xp - but as others have said, if you want to save a buck or two, the 555 is also a nice mid size saw that is very strong in the cut. I haven't ran an echo but the 590 is well respected and I think less money.

The other question you need to answer is how large is the wood you will be cutting? If most of it is much larger than 24", you may want to look at bigger than 60cc.

I only fall and buck about 10 to 15 cords per year and most is around 16" to 24" wood, but it noodles so well I can easily go after larger wood if need be. This saw is made for daily use so if well maintained, it should stand up for some years.
new-saw-bar.jpg

Here's a couple of YouTubes with the 555 in action (I'm not endorsing the dangerous foot on log routine):

562xp in the hands of an experienced guy:

Another vote here for the 562. You mentioned that you have a knowledgeable & competent Husky dealer with the equipment to deal with the AT saws if needed. That is a HUGE plus!! The price is a very good deal IMO. The 562 will handle a 24in B&C in hardwood without a complaint. It balances best with a 20in, however, & cuts like a maniac! I have both a 20in Techlite & a 24in Tsumura for mine. It came with a 24in Husky but was a bit nose heavy. The Tsumura 24in weighs nearly 1/4lb less than the same sized Husky which eliminated the nose heavy feel. The balance & handling were greatly improved. Seems to me as though you have done your homework well & have homed in on what I think is your best choice for an all around saw.

Hey thanks a bunch guys, I had to go down to town today anyways and sat in the parking lot of the Husqvarna dealer reading your guys' replies. Needless to say, I walked in, then walked out with a brand new 562XP
I messed with it in store with the 20 in bar and the 24in bar, ended up going with the 20in. He also threw in a couple hats for my wife and I and a free Husqvarna saw case And I upgraded to the extra warranty by buying the manufacturers gas and oil. Out the door for $730.00. Thanks again guys as I am really excited to start cleaning the property now. I'll post some photos when I get home.

I also took a look at the 555 at the dealer, didn't seem that much lighter and he had it going for $625.00, so I kinda figured for an extra $75 I could sleep well this week knowing I got exactly what I wanted

I love this place, a guy has his heart set on a 562xp (leader in its class) and asks for advice and is told to buy a 590 echo wth? May as well advise him to get a 076av or a wildthang. If you love your 590 echo thats great but telling others that they are the best choice is silly and poor advice. Welcome to the site, take what you read on the internet with a grain of salt. For every bit of good factual info often there is three times as much garbage.

I bought a Husky 555 with a 24" bar & chain. I live in SW Washington and just got done cutting about 9 cords of big Fir, Hemlock & Spruce butts. The saw ran great and had no trouble with power, even in the big Fir with the bar buried.
That 562 should serve you well. Do your part with maintenance and sharp chains.

Hey thanks a bunch guys, I had to go down to town today anyways and sat in the parking lot of the Husqvarna dealer reading your guys' replies. Needless to say, I walked in, then walked out with a brand new 562XP
I messed with it in store with the 20 in bar and the 24in bar, ended up going with the 20in. He also threw in a couple hats for my wife and I and a free Husqvarna saw case And I upgraded to the extra warranty by buying the manufacturers gas and oil. Out the door for $730.00. Thanks again guys as I am really excited to start cleaning the property now. I'll post some photos when I get home.

I also took a look at the 555 at the dealer, didn't seem that much lighter and he had it going for $625.00, so I kinda figured for an extra $75 I could sleep well this week knowing I got exactly what I wanted

Congrats & enjoy!

Oh yeah.......be safe with it.

Back