New chainsaw!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike G

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello all!
I finally managed to find a decent chainsaw forum!!:)
I just bought a new-old Homelite Super LX Auto, and I was curious to know how you guys would rate this saw? I really think a may have paid too much, but i was desperate, as my PM 610 was sucking $$$ out of me left and right (not to mention, i couldnt find the parts).:bang: The homelite starts up when hot, so its a step up above the Mcchulloch................

Also, how do you adjust the auto oiler on this saw? There is a screw behind the oil cap, but idk what the initial setting is?

Thanks!

well mike.......

.........welcome. don't know anything about an old homelite, just figured i'd say <font color=red>SOMETHING.</font>
.........these old codgers are a tough crowd.........

Thanks for the warning!! ( I have issues with spending insane amounts of $$ tools, but its a sickness i can live with :) )

I bought the homelite mostly because my dad has one that has never quit, even with all the abuse it has taken. I also have an old john deere saw, but it is tiny (14") and needs a new recoil.

Hi Mike,
Super XLs do not have an adjustment for the auto oiler. The oiler is mounted behind the clutch and is operated by a worm gear off of the crank. They do have (almost all of them) a manual oiler as well so you pump extra oil if needed. Even though Homelite parts are dwindling, tons of parts are still around for the Super XLs.

Dan

Thanks for the info Dan, what is the black screw (about 5/8" in diameter, looks like plastic) used for? Its right behind the oil fill cap. Also i noticed that in the "neck" where oil is filled, there is a hole to the outside filled with a small cotter pin. It appears to me to be the vent to allow oil out of the tank to prevent a vaccuum from building up (rather than haveing a pin hole in the cap) ? The only thing is that when the saw is tilted, oil starts to ooze out :( .

Hi Mike,
That sounds like the oil filter assembly. There's a screw in hollow tube that has 2 O-rings and attached is a short length of flexible tubing with the filter at the bottom. I may be wrong, but I don't think this was intented to adjust the oil flow. Just an unorthodox way to get oil from the tank to the pump. It is an easy way to remove the filter though and clean it when neccessary.
Dan

Back