New Chip Truck: What to Buy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What to Buy

• Used Penske Truck (inexpensive, 100k miles?)

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • New Ford F-650 (warranty, quality?)

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • New Chevy 6500 (warranty, service?)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New GMC 6500 (warranty, service?)

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • New Sterling/International/Mack/Kenworth/Freightliner

Votes: 9 69.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nick did ya know you coulda got the 750 d-rated and been under CDL?
I've been looking at trucks too and found that out last time I was at the dealer, sounds good to me!

The problem with pushing for under-CDL status is that you put a chipper on the truck and you're over! What's the point? Get a much smaller truck or get a CDL is the conclusion I've come to.

re: chip truck

one note of caution. on a cdl you will be held to a higher standard in cdl vehicle and in your personal transportation. Fines double or tripple. CDL is the way to go for me. I can then drive anything in a class B. Later class A. The test is easy. I suppose the only problem is if you buy many class B trucks and a driver quits or gets sick. Going larger in size saves time, wear and tear and is safe. The capacity of the box cannot overexceed the gvw of the truck(unless box filled with dirt). Ps stumper, I stand by my analogy,lions don't exist on rats. Hence, Big bait Big Fish;)

Re: re: chip truck

Originally posted by trzz
one note of caution. on a cdl you will be held to a higher standard in cdl vehicle and in your personal transportation. Fines double or tripple.

And what's wrong with that?

Dang trzzz, You are sure mixed up. Lions and rats are mammals. You might find it interesting that a study of wolves in Canada revealed that most of their diet consisted of field mice. Back to the fishing, I've caught some huge fish on tiny baits-and caught a bunch of smaller fish too while the BIG BAIT BOYS just went fishless. Regarding your truck-sounds like a real workhorse that will be ideal for some high production work (and will suck big,hairy slobber encrusted moose lips in some tight quarters.) I wish you the very best.:)

truck

Yea, it might be a little tight. It is a little bigger than a trash truck(the size I was after)but ,I hope it will keep me away from the recycling ctr. Nothing ventured nothing gained. I don't know if it is going to work well residentualy but, commercially it should work wonders. I have bought small and regretted it and am aware of going too big. If you keep your eyes open and plan on getting a truck 2+ years later you can find awsome deals on trucks. Ofcourse if you have the time. I will advise everyone on getting your body built. I was told 14days to build(business days of course). That was 8-16-04. I still havent recived it. Make a clause that says 3 days after the due date a financial penalty will accrue (lost money Insurance/truck payment). I am getting burned and pissed at the companys incompetancy. They don't call and are fullll of excusses. The price I am paying I could afford a new car.:angry:

Re: truck

Originally posted by trzz
I will advise everyone on getting your body built. I was told 14days to build(business days of course). That was 8-16-04. I still havent recived it. Make a clause that says 3 days after the due date a financial penalty will accrue (lost money Insurance/truck payment). I am getting burned and pissed at the companys incompetancy. They don't call and are fullll of excusses. The price I am paying I could afford a new car.:angry:

Most body builders seem to be that way. I waited over a month for mine. Simple job. I don't mind the wait, but don't blow smoke up my a$$, saying "we're making progress".:angry:

Seems that way. Took almost two weeks to put two stainless steel toolboxes on one of the trucks we just bought. If we took that long to do a pruning job.....

I'm not a strong believer in over building. I'm a believer in building for what you need. If blue can get by with his car, you know that you need to justify anything bigger.

I'd like to get a twin axle truck for heavy stuff, but honestly, how often would we need it? I'd like to get a semi-tractor and assorted trailers, but honestly how often would we need it?

And truly, how much chip capacity do you need? If we had trips of 50+ miles to most jobs, I would want a huge chip box. Short of that, though, what's 30 minutes for a trip to dump? It gives everyone else a break and doesn't require a $130,000 truck.

ok

I understand your logic nick. I just need larger capacity. It comes in handy. When on a large job or smaller jobs the efficiency increases and you cannot miss it. A 18'x7' moving billboard is one hell of an advertisement. Less trips means more time on site = less goofing off. It typically doesn't cost that much more. Faster can mean price per tree removals diminish leading to a better competitive edge. To cut a 80' pine into 5' sections and then to recut or split to throw into chipbox or dump 5' section and let loader pickup? I think it might reduce labor by 1/2. I want something I can grow into. I take good care of my equipment. As far as truck body building. I think that once they recive the money they have you. Maybe a larger company with many bodys to build becomes priority. I am just trying to help anyone who reads my message to not make the same mistake. Put a clause as to some kind of financial reduction per day late delivered. :angel:

Originally posted by Nickrosis
And finally, the 2004 International 4300 with the DT466E engine. Also has an Allison automatic. The list price is $64,000, but the incentives take an eye-popping $20,000 off of that...plus delivery, they want $46,000 for it. Great truck to drive! GVWR of 25,999 lbs., ABS airbrakes, computer screen for a dashboard, terrific mirrors, tight turning radius - I liked it a lot.
16128.jpg

A friend of mine in the business has a truck like that except his is a roll-off. His chip box can be removed and then he brings an open box to load wood. It's easier to load since it sits on the ground. If I don't have time to run two trucks to a job, I rent one of his containers for my guys to load wood in.

I just saw a tree company out of Michigan using a brand new Internation 4200 with a VT 365 motor. He liked it a lot and had no problems filling it with chips and pulling a chipper. Maybe that would've been an option.

But the 4200 is a real step down from the 4300....

Originally posted by netree
Are you sure that info is current? Not breaking your balls, but the whole CDL system is FEDERAL, not STATE standards.

Just curious why NY would be different... (besides the obvious ;) )

Me too. I thought it was 26,001 lbs and you were commercial unless you were doing interstate commerce where 10k would be the threshold. Here, in TX, you can drive a truck up to 26k with a regular license.

An option ,maybe

In this part of the country,a used grain hauler,can be purchased ,fairly cheap.A typical hauler,is a Ford 750,with big block and a 4 and 2 or 5 and 2 tranny,and 14 ft bed,and 60 or 70 thou.,on the odometer.Most of them have been kept under cover,and are in good shape.They make a real good chip truck,log hauler,or what ever.While they were in service,as a hauler,they were only used about 1 month out of the year.I am refering to a truck,from the midwest,and not from the western states,where they have been beat to a pulp,from heavy service.This is just a less expensive option,I thought I would throw at you.They are out there,you just have to look for them.;)

Al, that's what we had - a 1989 Ford F-700 gas V8 5spd, and we're replacing it with a 2004 Ford F-650 with a Cat diesel with the Allison automatic. Should be in within a couple of weeks. :cool: So excited. :D

Oh, it's hilarious - maybe you could catch it on someone else's computer. The video is filmed by some bicyclists at the side of the road when a tiny car comes roaring up a steep hill, towing a camper many times larger than the car itself. All's well until the driver tries to downshift since the motor started to bog......

The downshift didn't happen and the car was whipped down the hill, brakes smoking the whole way! :D

Latest posts

Back