New Chip Truck: What to Buy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What to Buy

• Used Penske Truck (inexpensive, 100k miles?)

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • New Ford F-650 (warranty, quality?)

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • New Chevy 6500 (warranty, service?)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New GMC 6500 (warranty, service?)

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • New Sterling/International/Mack/Kenworth/Freightliner

Votes: 9 69.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
2005F-650001Small.jpg

It came in on Wednesday. Finally! It was recalled somewhere between Mexico and Milwaukee, and at one point, Ford didn't know where it was. It has an International 365 and an Allison automatic.

2005F-650002Small.jpg

2005F-650006Small.jpg

2005F-650023Small.jpg

The plastic is off! That baby is off and running in the field - it just needed the fire extinguisher and first aid kit to be ready to go. :)

F550

A F550 w/ 4x4, auto & diesel is the best medium duty truck out there. Put an Aluminum 10-12' body and your set. Its smaller then a 4500 or 5500 so it can fit through tight spaces and is about the same size as a 350. I have 3 and love em.

If airbrakes aren't an issue, then why can't you get the endorsement without a B liscence in PA? I would go for a mack or the international. I would stay away from auto's also. Just my two cents.
mike

from WI

NeTree said:
But Nick... I was under the impression that everyone in WI was just MADE of money... or at least that's the impression you give.

pacific... trust me, you CAN get 22.5 rubber to spin. ;)

I use a 99 F-550 4x4 with a 7-8 yard chip box. Anything bigger and there is no way I would be able to back into alot of the places that I have to with a chipper. Most of the companies that use the big chip truck do a lot of road work. The more places you can go the better. The 550 has served me well I dont think that I could overload it I have been close a few times. I weigh about 9200 empty. That gives you 7000+ in payload. In the winter I use it to plow with. Not a cheap truck but not very expensive either.

Nickrosis said:
Another rant....

The F-550 weighs 16,500 plus some water: 550 gal in 4 tanks...never fully loaded. Usually carried about 300 gallons: 2400 lbs. That's within specs. A tranny at 4,000 miles? Outta the question.

Automatics are the way to go. You may like stick, and that's fine. But what does it have over automatics? The autos don't have clutches to wear out, and the Allison's last and last.

Anyways, we have a 2004 International 4300 466 parked out front that we're deliberating over. It's GVWR is 25,999....still CDL because of air brakes. It's got the goodies like AC and a CD player plus an on-site repair warranty. Lots to think about.

Automatics just don't last as long as a maual in every day hard pulling work. We have towed 15k+ with my dads f350 w/ a 460 and 5 spd, just some food for thought.

Latest posts

Back