new cub cadet CS 5220 problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonsreal

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm new to the forum and I had just recently bought a new Cub Cadet Comercial CS 5220 which fired right up nice and easily. I was doing a favor job for my friend and we dropped 3 small trees. Everything went smoothe until I was cutting the stump close to the ground. I was using the spikes for leverage and the saw bogged down a bit and then died. I could not start it for the rest of that day. Today I went out and tried to start it and pulled and pulled. It started a couple times at a high RPM and when I went to give it gas it shut off. I personally feel its flooded but I need some suggestions for when I work it on tomorrow. I have no idea. The stumps I were cutting low were not big stumps. very bizzare.

Thanks for everything guys, you are all very smart people.

Jon

You might want to check if it is getting fuel. Pull the air filter and put a little bit of fuel mix in the throat of the carb. Pull it a couple of times.
Is the air filter clean? Is the choke functioning?
Is it hard to pull over?
Did you pull the muffler and see if the piston is scored?
Did you run it out of gas while using it?
Was it screaming through the wood? Reving higher than usual?

Is it still under warranty? If so find a dealer and take it to them.

There is fuel in the tank, I did poor some mix into the carb (no fire), the airfilter is clean, pistons look good, plug is sparking. When I pull the plug it does have fuel on it. When I leave it unchoked and yank on it hard for a while, it starts to get eisier to pull as if it is spitting and sputtering a little. A couple times it started but died when I triggered it. Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Jon

Take it back to Tractor Supply. That will solve your problem.........

you have described textbook symptoms of low compression,spark and gas but won't run,your only hope is you have stale gas or something.

mini kahuna said:
you have described textbook symptoms of low compression,spark and gas but won't run,your only hope is you have stale gas or something.

Yeah. I say bring it in for an exchange. There is no reason you should have to do any kind of work like that to a new saw... Unless there's something you're not telling about the fuel you were using.

Maybe the saw was starving for fuel on its side, running lean and caused the piston to score. Or maybe it has nothing to do at all with cutting the stump.

Hey guys, thanks for all your replies. It was simply just flooded I guess, today I went out and 3 pulls and it was rippin.

Thanks,
Jon

low power, high rpm

I just read this in a husky review for the 357XP and thought it might be of some interest if the problem persists:

About one week ago I noticed my 357XP seemed to losing
power in the cut and reving fast when limbing. It had only cut about 10 tandem loads of spruce logs.

I took the saw to the local Husky dealer, he put the RPM meter on it and it was reving over 15,000. The jet adjustments
would not lower the RPMs.

He said it looked like an "air leak"

He disassembled the saw completely, he then noted a service
notice from Husky that mentioned a defective plastic clamp
in the area where the carburetor connects to the cylinder,
apparently it works loose, it is being replaced by a metal
clamp from Husky.

He mentioned the saw would have melted if I had not brought it in soon enough!!!

So if you have the above symptoms stop using the saw!!!

Good Luck... I doubt if Husky will come good for the repair bill?

stihltech said:
Tractor Supply seems to have dumped Cub Cadet for Husky now.
I have some Cadets in here for repairs, where do I get parts. EMAK?

You can try getting parts from EMAK, or an efco or John Deere dealer as they are all the same saw. You might also try a Cub Cadet Dealer (not a box-type store) an actual dealership with a real parts counter. I have one locally, its actually a CNH (Case - New Holland) dealer, but they also carry Cub stuff, and they have Cub saws in stock, and claim to have no problem getting parts.

CubCadet Parts

I did a bit of research after purchasing my Cub CS5720. Like UrbanLogger said, the EMAC, Oleo-mac, EFCO and John Deere appear to be the same units. I could only find a decent picture of the JD CS71, but the basic components are the same as the CS56. The problem is that the Cub Cadet parts are pricey. I found the John Deere parts to be half the price of the Cub parts distributors for the equivalent model (CS56). It seems that the Cub dealers are trying to make a killing!

I have found that my local cub dealer is also considerably more that my local Deere dealer, it would be interesting to see how cub and deere prices compair to efco prices. I know a little while I read on AS that Efco was trying to get something started in the US, I don't know how or what happened with that, but...

Anywhy, Efco, Oleo Mac, Dynamac, John Deere, Cub Cadet, and I believe Olympic are all Emak saws, pretty much all the same except for the outer color.

http://www.emak.co.uk/

CubCadet 5720

I got my new saw this past week and went to fire it up. I noticed that the chain would seize when I adjusted it and tightened the cover bolts. If I loosened the front bolt, the chain would free up. I called the dealership and they said that there was paint in the chain guide and to fire the saw up with the front bolt loose and gradually tighten the cover bolt with the chain moving. This worked like a champ and the saw started on the second pull. It has a nice crisp sound to it, not like the weak muffled sound of my PoulanPro 330.

I am a weekend warrior, not a pro, but when it comes to my equipment, I want something I can count on. There was a time when I wouldn't mind tinkering with a hand-me-down, or something used I got a great deal on, only to find out it needed a lot of TLC. Anymore, time is my most precious comodity, so I am happy to have found this machine.

I can't wait to get into some cutting this weekend and see how the saw handles. I think I'm going to really like this saw. It reminds me a bit of my old craftsman 3.7, which got stolen with another saw I had, but it's lighter and a cleaner looking machine.

It's too bad CubCadet dropped the line! :greenchainsaw:

Back