New Dolmar 5105 carb needles pluged.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
when I contacted them I used the Dolmar web site I first filled out a customer survey then on the contact us tab I wrote a e mail about the carb being nonadjustable, don't try to get the dealer to change it see if Dolmar will. If you try this good luck

My shop does Dolmar and thier warranty if you call Dolmar demanding something they will tell you to go stuff it. If you go about it like the OP they 9/10 make a very happy customer. Simple communication

hey hoeyrd2110 do you know if the Dolmar 421 is adjustable? looking for a second Dolmar

I guess that depends on when it was/is imported to the US?

First generation US PS-421's have a sealed HS needle (walbro). Second generation PS-421's have fully adjustable carb (zama) with special tool needed.

My shop does Dolmar and thier warranty if you call Dolmar demanding something they will tell you to go stuff it. If you go about it like the OP they 9/10 make a very happy customer. Simple communication

I was told dolmar would pay the carb, but the shop had to put it on and I would have to pay labor. Shop wanted 70 bucks to do the work. Not acceptable to me. They still hit me for 30 bucks to get that poor running sorry excuse for a saw back. To each their own. I could not personally recommend one. They permanently lost a customer that day.

I was told dolmar would pay the carb, but the shop had to put it on and I would have to pay labor. Shop wanted 70 bucks to do the work. Not acceptable to me. They still hit me for 30 bucks to get that poor running sorry excuse for a saw back. To each their own. I could not personally recommend one. They permanently lost a customer that day.

So $40 for a new carb and one of the best 40cc saws, that would be a tough choice!!

Sent from my XT881

So $40 for a new carb and one of the best 40cc saws, that would be a tough choice!!

Sent from my XT881

lol, no I had a 5105. I am not sure what you are getting at. 70 to pay for labor for them to replace the carb was still like me buying a new carb on a saw that was only a couple months old. Then they still hit me for 30 bucks to get it back. I guess you would be fine with paying for that? Just makes me wonder what the warranty did for me. The saw is still a dog and probably runs like a 510. Again, I guess you would be ok with that. I wasn't. calm down.

no one works for free...but thats the dealer not dolmar. they gave you the alternative you didn't take it...blame lies not on the dealer or company

if you would come into the shop i'm at we would have done exactly the same...makes no sense to go thru all the trouble then decide not to spend the $40 for the carb you want. stirring things up for no reason. they way the company see's it they did you a favor by giving you a carb, remember YOU purchased the saw with limiters and in warranty terms they don't HAVE to do anything.

Last edited:
lol, no I had a 5105. I am not sure what you are getting at. 70 to pay for labor for them to replace the carb was still like me buying a new carb on a saw that was only a couple months old. Then they still hit me for 30 bucks to get it back. I guess you would be fine with paying for that? Just makes me wonder what the warranty did for me. The saw is still a dog and probably runs like a 510. Again, I guess you would be ok with that. I wasn't. calm down.

Not worked up at all my 5100 runs strong and is adjustable:D!! All service places here would put that $30 towards the work if done which equals $40 carb, sorry your dealer sucked. Why not just mount the carb yourself?? I had problems with my first dealer and low and behold they sent me the parts and located an awesome dealer close by. I have had nothing but problems with my Steal dealer in town, there saws are junk:banghead:

Sent from my XT881

I've been watching these threads since '06.

Have ran a few though the years, Every one of them was screaming lean.

Snipped the tabs off and have been running 1-1/4 low 1-1/2 high.

The reason I see why Dolmar went to that extreme was all the toasted 5100s.

The EPA mandated they run within limits with "tamper proof" adjustments.

They ate crap on all the warranties, only because they made a saw that is good, and ran like a banshee. (of course it was set too lean)

Back in the day the 5100 was every ones baby.

And it is still a great saw. Why do you think they get their huevos busted so much?

no one works for free...but thats the dealer not dolmar. they gave you the alternative you didn't take it...blame lies not on the dealer or company

if you would come into the shop i'm at we would have done exactly the same...makes no sense to go thru all the trouble then decide not to spend the $40 for the carb you want. stirring things up for no reason. they way the company see's it they did you a favor by giving you a carb, remember YOU purchased the saw with limiters and in warranty terms they don't HAVE to do anything.

Thanks for letting me know where not to go. Everyone stirs the pot from time to time, even you. I did make my own decision based upon what I felt was best. They made their decision based on what they thought was best. I am not disputing that. Bottom line is the saw is a dog plain and simple. I wanted one that ran like the last one I got. I didn't get that. Thats life. I wouldn't recommend one to anyone in the future based on my expierience. You don't base future decisions based on past expierience?

Bottom line is the saw is a dog plain and simple. I wanted one that ran like the last one I got. I didn't get that.

Should of put the new carb on and it would of ripped....just like a 346 needs ported to rip....

Sent from my XT881

I will consider myself lucky, my dealer did not charge anything for the changeover and the rep said it would be done under warranty work.this is why some dealers get a better reputation than others.And I will have to say my 5105 cuts great. cut 24" shag bark hickory today and it did awsome.

Thanks for letting me know where not to go. Everyone stirs the pot from time to time, even you. I did make my own decision based upon what I felt was best. They made their decision based on what they thought was best. I am not disputing that. Bottom line is the saw is a dog plain and simple. I wanted one that ran like the last one I got. I didn't get that. Thats life. I wouldn't recommend one to anyone in the future based on my expierience. You don't base future decisions based on past expierience?

no i most certainly do base it on past experience...hence no creamsicles in my collection. if you saw my post in the other thread about warranties you would know how i feel about them. the OP explained how dolmar took care of his saw...and you went and crapped on it and ruined the thread and turned it into a i won't recommend one to anyone bash against dolmar and your dealer for giving you a generous option. be happy for the guy that he got it taken care of and is happy with his kick ass saw.

EDIT: nevermind tired of arguing:msp_thumbdn:

Last edited:
First generation US PS-421's have a sealed HS needle (walbro). Second generation PS-421's have fully adjustable carb (zama) with special tool needed.

They must have been rather desperate to get saws past the EPA and into the US market, to make that stupid stunt with the epoxied adjustment screws - and on top of that stating it was OK.

Nobody at their right mind could believe that, whatever was said about it! :mad:

Sorry to say so, but you really disappointed me there, by defending that stunt (not in this thread). :msp_sad:

no i most certainly do base it on past experience...hence no creamsicles in my collection. if you saw my post in the other thread about warranties you would know how i feel about them. the OP explained how dolmar took care of his saw...and you went and crapped on it and ruined the thread and turned it into a i won't recommend one to anyone bash against dolmar and your dealer for giving you a generous option. be happy for the guy that he got it taken care of and is happy with his kick ass saw.

EDIT: nevermind tired of arguing:msp_thumbdn:

You need to reread the whole thread. Sorry to the op if I offended and sorry you got your feelings hurt.

Latest posts

Back