New Dolmar 5105 carb needles pluged.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:msp_mad:Wow, there are some crazy EPA tamper-proofing but this takes the cake! How in the world would a dealer or technician adjust the carb? Most of the EPA stuff just make for an inconvenience to get them adjustable but this one is crazy - but surely it can be worked around.

I was told the only problems they have had with them has been bad gas. last I had my hands on ran like a 510. I was told here it was my chain. The saw is still a dog. at least it isn't mine.

Last edited:
good to know that the case around the needles can be removed, I was wondering if that was a possibility. Also wonder if it would be just as easy to get a new carb? If I have to take this one off anyway. Was looking at carbs and I think this would be a zama C1QDM14 is this right, and what is the difference between a C1QDM14 and a C1QDM14A .

good to know that the case around the needles can be removed, I was wondering if that was a possibility. Also wonder if it would be just as easy to get a new carb? If I have to take this one off anyway. Was looking at carbs and I think this would be a zama C1QDM14 is this right, and what is the difference between a C1QDM14 and a C1QDM14A .

The difference is the tamper proof measures taken. same carb.

The 5105 in Dolmar or Makita was what I was thinking however with nothing local I wouldn't be able to check for epa crap until it arrived so I will probably pass. Maybe a Husky or Echo in the 45-50 range.:confused:

Newer production saws do not have the epoxy. This was only for a few months of production.

The 5105 in Dolmar or Makita was what I was thinking however with nothing local I wouldn't be able to check for epa crap until it arrived so I will probably pass. Maybe a Husky or Echo in the 45-50 range.:confused:

Please don't mention that "E" brand in the same post as Husky, it is a major insult to Husky! :msp_biggrin:

Why not contact one of the site dolmar dealers then the epoxy is a non existing problem.

proprietary screws with a funky double d so only the dealers can adjust them.

But then you could get epoxy revenge! Epoxy over the double d screws and install something reasonable to it so another tool would it properly. Heck, a pinched bit of copper tubing so it could take a regular flat blade screwdriver would work.

Or just a glob of epoxy and cut a slit into it.

I like the splined jobbies meself.

sorry it took so long to let everyone know the outcome of my saw but here it is....after I started digging the epoxy out I decided to contact Dolmar and let them know that I felt that it was pretty bad that you could not tune their saws a ccouple of days later I got a reply from the warranty dept for our area located in Kansas city mo the guy told me there saws are intended to be adjustable and they would be glad to put a new fully adjustable carb on my saw if I would take it to my dealer. Soooo I mixed up some white epoxy covered the screw I uncovered went to my dealer and I now have a mean running 5105 with a adjustable carb!!!! I was really surprised they paid for a new carb I attached two pics one before one after sorry the after isnt any better.View attachment 269855View attachment 269856.

And the man and his 5105 lived happily ever after . . .

sorry it took so long to let everyone know the outcome of my saw but here it is....after I started digging the epoxy out I decided to contact Dolmar and let them know that I felt that it was pretty bad that you could not tune their saws a ccouple of days later I got a reply from the warranty dept for our area located in Kansas city mo the guy told me there saws are intended to be adjustable and they would be glad to put a new fully adjustable carb on my saw if I would take it to my dealer. Soooo I mixed up some white epoxy covered the screw I uncovered went to my dealer and I now have a mean running 5105 with a adjustable carb!!!! I was really surprised they paid for a new carb I attached two pics one before one after sorry the after isnt any better.View attachment 269855View attachment 269856.

If only this response from dolmar was more common. I am glad it worked out ok for you.

It is just try!!

I have already been down that road and was told to whistle dixie. I'm not trying to stir things up again, I am just glad he got things worked out. My experience was much different.

I have already been down that road and was told to whistle dixie. I'm not trying to stir things up again, I am just glad he got things worked out. My experience was much different.

This shows the business ethics difference between the B&S distributor in Chicago (MWE) and the the B&S distributor in Columbus, OH (Central Power/Gardner)

Back