New Dolmar 5105 carb needles pluged.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You need to reread the whole thread. Sorry to the op if I offended and sorry you got your feelings hurt.

hockey for 9 years and been a wrench for over 6 it takes alot more than that to get me :msp_razz:.no worries if we all agreed this place would be damn boring. you still have that dog of a saw? if it's not welcome there, im sure a few of us on here have a place it would be:hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
They must have been rather desperate to get saws past the EPA and into the US market, to make that stupid stunt with the epoxied adjustment screws - and on top of that stating it was OK.

Nobody at their right mind could believe that, whatever was said about it! :mad:

Sorry to say so, but you really disappointed me there, by defending that stunt (not in this thread). :msp_sad:

I wouldn't say I defended that decision but we still only had one 5105 that wouldn't run right. Most of them were set a little rich and ran OK but not at peak RPM. Last year Dolmar sent a bunch of saws to the US that the EPA refused and sent back to germany. So I know they had to do some stuff to make the EPA happy and get saws back into the US market. If there were issues with a sealed carb dolmar will swap them out for an adjustable carb. Some people came on here and threw a fit about the adjustment screws because of dealers that wouldn't make a phone call to get approval to swap carbs.

I wouldn't say I defended that decision but we still only had one 5105 that wouldn't run right. Most of them were set a little rich and ran OK but not at peak RPM. Last year Dolmar sent a bunch of saws to the US that the EPA refused and sent back to germany. So I know they had to do some stuff to make the EPA happy and get saws back into the US market. If there were issues with a sealed carb dolmar will swap them out for an adjustable carb. Some people came on here and threw a fit about the adjustment screws because of dealers that wouldn't make a phone call to get approval to swap carbs.

i agree 100%. atlantic power has been helpful and generous on all of our dolmar stuff. i even got to talk to germany a few times after we had 2 5100's toast themselves and i found the rings were much to tight from the factory and sent pictures and measurements and the P/C's back. dolmar paid for everything on those two saws. two very happy customers

Like pretty much everything else, it's silly to bash one item or manufacturer because some dealers aren't worthy of the title.

All brands have some pretty useless distributors.

hey no offense taken I appreciate the info you guys gave when I wrote the first thread this thread has kinda taken off an got pretty interesting and I would say almost any brand of saw out there would be worth the money if you get good support from your dealer;)

If you cant get the epoxy of the carb needles, you can awalys build a nice camp fire and throw the saw into the fire, Problem solved, and the saw polluted more having them limiters epoxyed now didnt it. Screw the EPA and Dolmar. My horse will ride off into the westen sunset after dolmar and the EPA are gone

Like pretty much everything else, it's silly to bash one item or manufacturer because some dealers aren't worthy of the title.

All brands have some pretty useless distributors.

Of course all brands have some bad dealers or distributers, but I don't think it was a dealer or a distributer that epoxied those carbs in the first place? ;)

Don't forget that this isn't just about finding a decent carb setting in the first place - but also about being able to adjust the settings for changing conditions, after the saw was sold.

Don't forget that this isn't just about finding a decent carb setting in the first place - but also about being able to adjust the settings for changing conditions, after the saw was sold.

you guys still haven't realized that the EPA is the government and if they say so thats whats gets done...the EPA does not want you adjusting anything EVER after the saw leaves the factory so get used to it from ALL manufaturers. why do u think stihl and husky are pushing AT and Mtronic...to please the EPA and keeping the saw inside a set of parameters to make them happy. blaming one brand for a quick fix and acting like they did it totally on their own or are the only ones to try to half ass please the EPA is a waste of time...just be happy as of now we can still have adjustability

how many ms180's would still be alive if it werent for the EPA COMPLIANT super lean fixed jet carb? i would actually like the saw if it did have a adjustable carb

Last edited:
you guys still haven't realized that the EPA is the government and if they say so thats whats gets done...the EPA does not want you adjusting anything EVER after the saw leaves the factory so get used to it from ALL manufaturers. why do u think stihl and husky are pushing AT and Mtronic...to please the EPA and keeping the saw inside a set of parameters to make them happy. blaming one brand for a quick fix and acting like they did it totally on their own or are the only ones to try to half ass please the EPA is a waste of time...just be happy as of now we can still have adjustability

how many ms180's would still be alive if it werent for the EPA specd super lean fixed jet carb? i would actually like the saw if it did have a adjustable carb
These bone headed stupid designs are not speced by the EPA. They are what your beloved corporations decided to do to meet the requirements. They could have spent some money on R&D, but that would cut into bonuses. So too bad, you get junk instead. Then eventually the company goes under and people wonder why.

A company that cannot invest in its products won't survive.

These bone headed stupid designs are not speced by the EPA. They are what your beloved corporations decided to do to meet the requirements. They could have spent some money on R&D, but that would cut into bonuses. So too bad, you get junk instead. Then eventually the company goes under and people wonder why.

A company that cannot invest in its products won't survive.

if you or anyone else had any better ideas on how to beat the EPA regs than try stupid and off the wall stuff like every internal combustion engine manufacturer does you sure wouldn't be on here complaining about it you'd be in the caymans on your private yatch sucking up your patent money(who wouldn't?). i don't love any corporation but thanks for putting the words in for me. you do realize your saying dolmars gonna go bankrupt because of a few thousand glued mixture adjusters right? over reaction maybe?

I fixed the spec'd to COMPLIANT sorry i confused you

Last edited:
if you or anyone else had any better ideas on how to beat the EPA regs than try stupid and off the wall stuff like every internal combustion engine manufacturer does you sure wouldn't be on here complaining about it you'd be in the caymans on your private yatch sucking up your patent money(who wouldn't?). i don't love any corporation but thanks for putting the words in for me. you do realize your saying dolmars gonna go bankrupt because of a few thousand glued mixture adjusters right? over reaction maybe?

I fixed the spec'd to COMPLIANT sorry i confused you
Product development on this scale costs a lot of money, it's not something one guy can do even if he has a good idea. Other companies have already worked out how to meet the requirements and improve performance, just as happened in the automobile industry decades ago. It's just that Makita isn't one of those companies and now is solidly in a bad position.

I don't think they'll survive, but the epoxied mixture screws are only a symptom. They don't have the technology. Unless they pay royalties (and probably if they do) they'll be uncompetitive in the US market, and combined with the lack of credit availability reducing overall demand for OPE I expect they'll soon be out of business. They blew it and when the music stops they won't have a chair.

I don't think they'll be the only ones.

Last edited:

how many ms180's would still be alive if it werent for the EPA COMPLIANT super lean fixed jet carb? i would actually like the saw if it did have a adjustable carb

It is the need for such a "quick fix" that is the main issue here + pretending like it isn't an issue. Such insidents just seem to happen more often with Dolmar than with other brands, indicating a company that is in trouble.
Dolmar had trouble getting saws into the USA for quite some time, before they came up with the epoxy "solution".

Product development on this scale costs a lot of money, it's not something one guy can do even if he has a good idea. Other companies have already worked out how to meet the requirements and improve performance, just as happened in the automobile industry decades ago. It's just that Makita isn't one of those companies and now is solidly in a bad position.

I don't think they'll survive, but the epoxied mixture screws are only a symptom. They don't have the technology. Unless they pay royalties (and probably if they do) they'll be uncompetitive in the US market, and combined with the lack of credit availability reducing overall demand for OPE I expect they'll soon be out of business. They blew it and when the music stops they won't have a chair.

i didn't know you consulted to all the manufacturers on technologies and have all that info to share please do. you don't know and non of us do. the other manufacturers have found a band-aid for the time being with the current incarnations and frankly the next gneration injections. they are not the answer, they are a short term solution to again.... please the EPA. something drastic must come up and turn the saw world on it's head in order for 2 cycle saws to survive and i sure hope it does. But from which manufacturer is anyones guess, could be ECHO for all i know(had to ST:D). we aren't there yet, getting closer but not there yet.

It is the need for such a "quick fix" that is the main issue here + pretending like it isn't an issue.

it is a sad and terrible fix, i don't commend them on it and i sure don't think they put enough thought into it. but i'm not gonna put down a company who has and does make fantastic saws over a few thousand saws period. i don't get you guys if i put all the stupid stuff husky and stihl have done in a it'd take a whole thread to list it then somehow dolmar would still be the turd...but i digress

Last edited:
i didn't know you consulted to all the manufacturers on technologies and have all that info to share please do. you don't know and non of us do. the other manufacturers have found a band-aid for the time being with the current incarnations and frankly the next gneration injections. they are not the answer, they are a short term solution to again.... please the EPA. something drastic must come up and turn the saw world on it's head in order for 2 cycle saws to survive and i sure hope it does. But from which manufacturer is anyones guess, could be ECHO for all i know(had to ST:D). we aren't there yet, getting closer but not there yet.
Now don't get your panties in a twist, my comments were not aimed at you in any personal way. I don't see strato and feedback carbs as band-aids, I see them as far more substantial than that, providing major improvements right now. Also, this is a tough market that is consolidating very fast right now. Some smaller companies with something of value are being gobbled up, others will be left to make it on their own in a shrinking world market. Perhaps they'll come up with something big, but I doubt that SLR muffler is going to be it. It's getting pretty late in the game.

Again, the epoxied adjusters is just a symptom to me - a sign of a company that is in trouble.

Last edited:
Now don't get your panties in a twist, my comments were not aimed at you in any personal way. I don't see strato and feedback carbs as band-aids, I see them as far more substantial than that, providing major improvements right now. Also, this is a tough market that is consolidating very fast right now. Some smaller companies with something of value are being gobbled up, others will be left to make it on their own in a shrinking world market. Perhaps they'll come up with something big, but I doubt that SLR muffler is going to be it. It's getting pretty late in the game.

Again, the epoxied adjusters is just a symptom to me - a sign of a company that is in trouble.

no panties bunched...hard to get a thong bunched:laugh: i was just saying none of us know. i don't like he SLR muff much myself. keep the faith my friend dolmar will most definetly live to saw another day. the games almost over...the next games all different:msp_thumbup:
the only thing that bothers me is this thread was supposed to be positive and everyone seeing what happened with the OP's saw, not a negative towards the OP's brand/saw...that gets me bunched

Last edited:
no panties bunched...hard to get a thong bunched:laugh: i was just saying none of us know. i don't like he SLR muff much myself. keep the faith my friend dolmar will most definetly live to saw another day. the games almost over...the next games all different:msp_thumbup:
the only thing that bothers me is this thread was supposed to be positive and everyone seeing what happened with the OP's saw, not a negative towards the OP's brand/saw...that gets me bunched
Aww, I don't really want to see bad things happen to Makita - heck, I still think the 6421 is the best looking saw period. My intent was not so much to bash the brand as to point out what I think this kind of stuff represents, so people can consider that when making decisions with their money.

It actually started negative about the op having a problem with his saw. It only resurfaced when he got it fixed. You didn't read the whole thread did you?

It actually started negative about the op having a problem with his saw. It only resurfaced when he got it fixed. You didn't read the whole thread did you?

yes i did read the whole thing. and the OP is happy, and not negative so no reason to turn things that way.

it's all done and over with, leave it alone, you started this mess in the first place. could have just left out the wish it happened more often in your post and this whole arguement/bash could have been avoided. i know you congratulated him but the extra piece was not needed

Last edited:
yes i did read the whole thing. and the OP is happy, and not negative so no reason to turn things that way.

it's all done and over with, leave it alone, you started this mess in the first place. could have just left out the wish it happened more often in your post and this whole arguement/bash could have been avoided.

Actually it was you. People asked again, I answered. It takes two. You ask I respond. It is that simple.

Latest posts

Back