NEW DOLMAR SAW OIL RATIO ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGNTALL

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have been running Dolmar saws for years, however where I'm from there isn't but two dealers that stocks Dolmar saws in a 200-300 mile area. I can pick up any Stihl or Husqvarna within walking distance of my house in any direction plus the jonsereds at Tractor supply.

Anyway, a buddy of mine recently wanted to buy a new saw, I persuaded him to purchase a new Dolmar. After doing his research he decided on a new 5105 since he just cuts firewood. So we made the trek to the only dealer around (this dealer also stocks Husqvarna saws) to pick up this new toy. The salesman told us that we needed to run 32:1 oil ratio for it to be covered under warranty. After I told the guy that I run 50:1 in all my saws he just laughed and said not to bring them to him when they tear up. Which was funny niether of 4 of my saws have ever given me any trouble in 3 yrs and I bought them all used except my 7910. I asked if the 32:1 was break in then switch to 50:1. He said "NO, Dolmars are designed to run 32:1 to stay under warranty". Then i pulled out my phone and showed him on Dolmars website where it says all Dolmar equipment is made to run 50:1. He said he didn't care what it said. Thats what he was told from Corp.

Can anyone explain this and help bring more Dolmar dealers to NC. Most people don't even know what a Dolmar saw is around here.

Thanks,

Forget that strange view of reality... Nothing to worry about 1:50 with a high quality oil(I prefer and only recomend full synthetic!), as long as the carb is set correctly. If set wrong any saw will die an early death and warrenty will be void irrespectiv of brand.

That is what I told him, but he is afraid if something goes wrong with the saw they won't fix it, I told him they couldn't tell what ratio he was running anyway.

That is what I told him, but he is afraid if something goes wrong with the saw they won't fix it, I told him they couldn't tell what ratio he was running anyway.

You could run 50:1 with good non ethanol fuel. Then If a warranty issue comes up, you could tell your dealer you've run 32:1. Thatd be up to you, I hate to even suggest that. Probably won't matter anyway, the warranty is only as good as the individual dealer. The fact that yours openly disputes Dolmar, could be a bad sign. Or, he could be old school and a man of honor. Hopefully you'll never have to find out.

My manual for my new 6100 says 50:1. The dealer I bought it from said 50:1.
I even asked about running 37:1 and he said not to. He said everything was tuned for 50:1 and that running a richer oil would not be good for it or the performance and they where not willing to tune it to run 40:1. I have sense switch to 50:1 on all my saws except my milling saw.

Nothing wrong with 32:1. The dealer is also a moron and doesn't know the product he is selling..
Can't figure out why anyone would buy a Dolmar over a Stihl or Husky...

Thats why i get my Dolmar stuff offline, But i have to ask on the Dolmar over Stihl and Husky comment. Have you ever owned one?

My father and I own about 70 saws of over 10 brands. So I've ran alittle of everything. Just wondering?

Thats why i get my Dolmar stuff offline, But i have to ask on the Dolmar over Stihl and Husky comment. Have you ever owned one?

My father and I own about 70 saws of over 10 brands. So I've ran alittle of everything. Just wondering?
I took it to mean some dealers are not representing other brands to their full potential.

Gotcha, seems like more stihls and huskys are sold around here more then anything. But Dolmars more up north from what I see.

I've owned a Dolmar 6100. Side by side with my 036 Pro, same log, same bar length, same chain, it had more torque in the cut. I could bog my 036, but I had to lean really hard to slow down the Dolmar.

Ya I am in the heart of stihl country and we have had many brands come and go. And right now dolmar and echo are making a small presence. We lost out jred dealer years of and husky well I can not remember any dealer trying to do them justice.

Same here in KS, Stihl and Husqvarna. Only one Dolmar dealer that I know of tried it here. They only lasted a few years by doing small engine repair but I don't think they sold many Dolmar saws. They just don't get any advertising around here.

Yes, I have and what I found was their quality was mediocre and they had a nonexistent parts network.

There is 17 Stihl Dealers within 25 miles of my house, three also sales Echos, Three Tractor supplys that sell Jonsereds. and the normal Lowes,Walmart, Northern Tool & Home Depot Saws. The closest Dolmar Dealer is 57 miles away, the next one is over 150 miles away and they usually carry only four sizes last time I stopped by.

Bwalker: I do know the trouble of finding Dolmar parts, However I believe there would be alot more "professionals" using them it they were readily available including parts.

Back