New Echo CS 310 - When to MM?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FineFirewood

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just got a new Echo CS 310 for limbing and light work. I know it needs a MM and retune to reach its full potential, but when should that be done? I haven't even put gas/oil in it yet due to other things going on, but it will see a lot of action in the next month or so clearing some brush and small trees from a new property.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

FF

I have the 310's brother the 352. It was tuned terribly out of the box so I'd say it's imperative that you tune asap.

I put several tanks through her before doing the muffler and wished I hadn't waited. That muffler is really restricted with the cat. My cut times dropped by well over 30 percent once the muffler was gutted and the saw was retuned.

Thanks for the tip. How much more difficult is it to split the can rather than drill/dremel out the cat? I always wear ear plugs when running my saws, so noise isn't a problem with me. The neighbors on the other hand....at least they know to stay away!

Guess I'll just dig in and have a look. I'll have lots of time while I boil a moose skull for a european mount that I shot last week!

Thanks.

Thanks. He was a big boy...931lbs dressed, 57" spread and good eatin!! Had a rough 4 days with 90 deg temps in northern Maine, but it finally came together when the frost hit on Friday morning. Got a roast in the crock pot for tonight!!

Guess I'll just dig in and have a look. I'll have lots of time while I boil a moose skull for a european mount that I shot last week!

Thanks.

That's what I like to read a successful hunt and meat in the freezer. I'm going scouting this weekend for my elk hunt. So far it looks promising.

Thanks. He was a big boy...931lbs dressed, 57" spread and good eatin!! Had a rough 4 days with 90 deg temps in northern Maine, but it finally came together when the frost hit on Friday morning. Got a roast in the crock pot for tonight!!
Fantastic!!! I love all wild game, but the larger deer species like moose, elk, and caribou are so much better than deer! Enjoy every bite!

I have not yet hunted moose but my dad shot a 69" Alaskan and a 57" Canadian moose in his lifetime. It really takes a heck of an animal to carry those racks!!

So, back on topic...

I deflowered the muffler on my new CS 310 and noticed something...there was no CAT!! There was only a small "can" insert with about 4 holes in it. I managed to get that out so it now just has an empty can, opened the exhaust opening under the deflector, and drilled a 1/4" hole in the front to allow more air to pass through. Pulled the limiters and it's now running pig rich for break-in period. Still needs a little fine tuning, but I'm happy with the way it's running now.

Thanks for all the suggestions and previous posts with gutting this muffler. Definitely runs great!

I've had several saws, including the 330T that were new enough to have the cat muffler. I found it easier to just find a muffler from an older, non-cat saw and exchange it. I also have a Dolmar 5100S that benefited from an older, non-cat muffler.

I've had several saws, including the 330T that were new enough to have the cat muffler. I found it easier to just find a muffler from an older, non-cat saw and exchange it. I also have a Dolmar 5100S that benefited from an older, non-cat muffler.
Even some of the Non Cat mufflers can be "Improved "With some internal organ surgery but Cat models are by far the sickest

I think on some of the Dolmar saws they make the cylinder get so hot it burns the piston and sticks the rings, I've had three or four come through here like that. On my two 5100S saws I changed to non cat mufflers to see if that helps in the long run. So far I haven't used them enough to know..

So, back on topic...

I deflowered the muffler on my new CS 310 and noticed something...there was no CAT!! There was only a small "can" insert with about 4 holes in it. I managed to get that out so it now just has an empty can, opened the exhaust opening under the deflector, and drilled a 1/4" hole in the front to allow more air to pass through. Pulled the limiters and it's now running pig rich for break-in period. Still needs a little fine tuning, but I'm happy with the way it's running now.

Thanks for all the suggestions and previous posts with gutting this muffler. Definitely runs great!
how old or new is it?

Back