New England Climbers (or northeast U.S.)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No handsaws? :greenchainsaw:

Are these trees free of dead wood? I'd hate to have big dead limb crash down onto people/gear/etc.

i too just put together a package to be delivered on friday. yes i paid extra for the hurry up, its an instant gratification thing.

oldirty'll be soaring in a new saddle! no more pinnacle II.

oldirty

rec climb

Sorry I didn't catch on to this sooner. I have some interesting spots. I've been too busy working the spring time spray problem, winter moth/adelgid. Yeah I've been out doing dormant oil sprays. May 12 probably doesn't work for me, but if you want to do something later this summer on the N. Shore, (old school, BBQ Style) let me know. :rockn:

nitwit dolt are you potentially even think'n pig roast? that would be something to think about.

i can get us a pig, i am dating again. lol

donnyo i went with the dragonfly.

oldirty

No handsaws? :greenchainsaw:

Are these trees free of dead wood? I'd hate to have big dead limb crash down onto people/gear/etc.

Hey! We're professionals ;) Any hazard removal (if needed) will happen before the climb. The idea is to focus on climbing not pruning. The quickest way to get kicked off of public land is to put a bunch of climbers in a tree with saws.

In rec climbing we're trying to promote the idea of leave everything in the woods as you found it. Attached deadwood is an important part of ecosystems for wildlife shelter and food supply. Rec climbers who climb on wild trees should have the skills and confidence to work around hazards. If a tree is assessed to be too hazardous then don't climb it, there are plenty of others.

Land managers will quickly ban rec climbing on public/protected land if they find climbers trimming trees, no matter how "beneficial" the pruning is from the point of view of the climber.
-moss

Speaking of the role that dead wood plays in the ecosystem, I was cleaning up in the backyard and heard the familiar tap-tap-tap of a woodpecker, but this time it seemed much louder and closer.

I started scanning the trees in the woods behind my house and spotted a large woodpecker with grey, black and white feathers. She/he had to be close to 12 inches long from head to tail with about a 2 inch beak and was hanging on a 6 inch diameter dead red oak limb, just hammering away looking for tasty morsels.

Earlier in the year I was thinking of taking this limb down, because if it fell and swung a bit, it would crash into my kid's sandbox, onto my shed and possibly onto my neighbor's shed.

Now I'm thinking I'll just leave it there and maybe try to tie it off so if it does fall, it'll go straight down into the woods, and not swing back into my yard. It could be tricky since the limb is 50 feet up, but there's load of good branches up above that i can tie into and then lower myself down near the dead limb to see what can be done about tying it back.

nitwit dolt are you potentially even think'n pig roast? that would be something to think about.

i can get us a pig, i am dating again. lol

donnyo i went with the dragonfly.

oldirty

And you didnt come up and see me for it? :deadhorse:

I have one of those also, its pretty good.

Hey 020, any chance you'll have your motion by the climb?

I will be climbing in it by the end of the week so I will be bringing it.

I do have a concern for you though as far as safety. One is are you planning on having a pair of slikes available, just in the need that an AR is needed and it is the quickest way to rescue. I can bring mine in being I keep all my gear in the truck.
Other note, is first aid kits. I carry the one on my saddle and a small 3 man one but figured we should have 1 large fully stocked in case of any problems are to arise. Better to plan ahead.

Also I do have a camera women that I will be bringing along. Andrew you should rememeber her. She's my g/f so you all better watch it. She won't be climbing. Got her a new digital for x-mas, but still nothing like you have moss.

I will be climbing in it by the end of the week so I will be bringing it.

I do have a concern for you though as far as safety. One is are you planning on having a pair of slikes available, just in the need that an AR is needed and it is the quickest way to rescue. I can bring mine in being I keep all my gear in the truck.
Other note, is first aid kits. I carry the one on my saddle and a small 3 man one but figured we should have 1 large fully stocked in case of any problems are to arise. Better to plan ahead.

Also I do have a camera women that I will be bringing along. Andrew you should rememeber her. She's my g/f so you all better watch it. She won't be climbing. Got her a new digital for x-mas, but still nothing like you have moss.

Uh-oh.......I climb bare minimum but will also bring my hooks for an AR.

Your bringing your girl in the woods with a bunch of dirty rude tree guys?.....:newbie:

Speaking of the role that dead wood plays in the ecosystem, I was cleaning up in the backyard and heard the familiar tap-tap-tap of a woodpecker, but this time it seemed much louder and closer.

I started scanning the trees in the woods behind my house and spotted a large woodpecker with grey, black and white feathers. She/he had to be close to 12 inches long from head to tail with about a 2 inch beak and was hanging on a 6 inch diameter dead red oak limb, just hammering away looking for tasty morsels.

Earlier in the year I was thinking of taking this limb down, because if it fell and swung a bit, it would crash into my kid's sandbox, onto my shed and possibly onto my neighbor's shed.

Now I'm thinking I'll just leave it there and maybe try to tie it off so if it does fall, it'll go straight down into the woods, and not swing back into my yard. It could be tricky since the limb is 50 feet up, but there's load of good branches up above that i can tie into and then lower myself down near the dead limb to see what can be done about tying it back.

Sounds like a good situation to practice a throwball from the ground for this tie-off.

Your bringing your girl in the woods with a bunch of dirty rude tree guys?.....:newbie:

She was the photo woman for the northeast get together I put up 2 years ago in NJ. She actually volunteered herself this time being she wants to play with her camera. She works for a tree service and demolition company, in the office, so is quite use to putting up with men all day.

She was the photo woman for the northeast get together I put up 2 years ago in NJ. She actually volunteered herself this time being she wants to play with her camera. She works for a tree service and demolition company, in the office, so is quite use to putting up with men all day.

and she won't be alone, since Melissa (treebeach) is co-hosting the climb. My wife has been improving her climbing skills, if the stinky ol' climbers can bear to take a bath within a week of the climb, maybe she'll show up.
-moss

Warning: we are now in the official trash talking portion of the pre-climb. :popcorn:

Who knew you'd be so right..............

On gear: 1.Please leave handsaws, gaffs, and treepaint at home.

2. No need for gear overload. I'll take care of co-ordinating a big shot and throw lines. The last thing we need is 20 BS with us!
Keep it to a minium. PPE, saddle, one climbing line, cambium saver, maybe some ascenders/toys.

If an AR needs to be performed there will be a couple of climbing lines already installed, probably another climber in the tree (most likely more than one), and twenty more on the ground with their gear on.

Here ya Boston, just thinking ahead, to make sure nothing gets forgotten.

Gear overload.....hmmm....has someone been spying on me. I bring my toy box everywhere, chained to the truck. Need a bigger one though :laugh:.

Last edited:
woodpecker

Must be a pileated woodpecker. Pretty uncommon and largest woodpecker left in the U.S. Any day I see one is a good day!

Who knew you'd be so right..............

On gear: 1.Please leave handsaws, gaffs, and treepaint at home.

2. No need for gear overload. I'll take care of co-ordinating a big shot and throw lines. The last thing we need is 20 BS with us!
Keep it to a minium. PPE, saddle, one climbing line, cambium saver, maybe some ascenders/toys.

If an AR needs to be performed there will be a couple of climbing lines already installed, probably another climber in the tree (most likely more than one), and twenty more on the ground with their gear on.

Is Dil in on this one? If not I want his pony ride!......Ill ride that thing to the climbing site like I stole it!

OTG.............You promised ;)

Got the motion last night Boston. Gonna had to start a thread of pimp my saddle. They send the gear loops seperately so you can attach them any where you want and any legth you want. I haven't made any up being there is 2 gears loops already plus a ring to put stuff on. Seems just a comfortable as I remember. Well I guess I better go to work so I can play around in it. :hmm3grin2orange:

Back