New Equipment Forum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PinnaclePete

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
We started a new forum specifically about the equipment used in climbing and rigging. So if you ascend, descend, maneuver, push, pull or handle trees, logs or other things using ropes, pulleys, blocks, carabiners, snaps, shackles, mechanical advantage, or other device, here is the place to discuss, question or learn.

Share your rants and raves, pros and cons, success stories, distress stories, techniques that work and those that don't. Techniques and tools are being developed, modified or adapted every day. Old school is new school to someone. Remember, pictures say a thousand words.

Help others select, buy smart, work safe, and work efficiently with climbing and rigging equipment.

Doesn't this get threads in the other forums?
Jeff

I agree. Oh well, it's a good idea. It could be fun.

I need to make up a couple of slings and I would like to use some of my gently used 3/4" Stable Braid. What do you think about using used rope? If used is OK then which Class 1 double braid splice should I use for a one-eye sling? BTW these are short remnant pieces I buy from Wesspur for various uses. None have any damage.

I need to make up a couple of slings and I would like to use some of my gently used 3/4" Stable Braid. What do you think about using used rope? If used is OK then which Class 1 double braid splice should I use for a one-eye sling? BTW these are short remnant pieces I buy from Wesspur for various uses. None have any damage.

Ha, I'm razzin' ya! I was thinking that when anyone in the other forums asked a question or posted a related question, that we could say "This should be posted in the", 'New Equiptment Forum'. Do you see where I am going with this? Hey, I am game.
Jeff

I need to make up a couple of slings and I would like to use some of my gently used 3/4" Stable Braid. What do you think about using used rope?

I can't see it or feel it, why don't you make a couple of them and post the pic's. You know the history of the ropes and will fiqure it out. Make some and post pic's.
Jeff

Doesn't this get threads in the other forums?
Jeff

Yup, that's the point...tryin some spring cleaning and get things organized a bit. There's so much equipment out there that some folks only get to see in catalogs or on the web, thought it might be useful to let people know what it's all used for, could be used for or shouldn't be used for.

I think we might want to let the forums that may never read the equipment forums know that this is here. I could also post an announcement. I am also going to be sending out an email...let me know what you want to do!!

Yup, that's the point...tryin some spring cleaning and get things organized a bit. There's so much equipment out there that some folks only get to see in catalogs or on the web, thought it might be useful to let people know what it's all used for, could be used for or shouldn't be used for.

That makes sense, Pete.
Jeff

Just checking in...I enjoy climbing, and rapelling. I do climb telephone poles for a living and I am wondering what the differences in the gaffs that I use and the ones for tree climbing.

I use a Bashlins for work.,

anyway thanks in advance for the information

Most pole gaffs are about 1 3/4" long as they don't have to penetrate bark. Tree gaffs are about an inch longer to get through thick bark (cottonwood, white oaks, etc) or dead punky outer wood on dead trees. Some guys use pole gaffs all the time because their on thinner bark trees like red oaks, maple. Most gaffs are replaceable, but gennerally not interchangable between brands.

For the health of the tree, only use spikes on removals.

Last edited:
Most pole gaffs are about 1 3/4" long as they don't have to penetrate bark. Tree gaffs are about an inch longer to get through thick bark (cottonwood, white oaks, etc) or dead punky outer wood on dead trees. Some guys use pole gaffs all the time because their on thinner bark trees like red oaks, maple. Most gaffs are replaceable, but gennerally not interchangable between brands.

For the health of the tree, only use spikes on removals.

I am glad you mentioned that part...I always thought they would be tough on a tree you are trying to save...heck they are hard on poles that are already dead.

I think I can get longer ones for my Bashlins...I might need a different harness though.

I coach climbing for boyscouts...we mostly use a 40 foot tower...how different are the harnesses for tree work than the repelling climbing ones that I am used to?

I would be interested in what kind of rope you guys use for the heavy stuff...not the climbing and belaying ropes.

I was just in Pete and Rhonda's store yesterday and will say it suprised me. I did not think there was anything like that around here in central Ark.

Trees, climbing, chainsaws; If your into any of that your eyes will bug out when you walk in. Had a great visit with them and left with some good info and a pole saw and a fuel can. I mostly mail order stuff because of where we live but since discovering them I will be going back.

Utility, safety, efficientcy/production

All the above (in title). You guys need to check out the Sidekick (in most catalogs I get). It will make your day.

used rope is much more difficult to splice

Back