New Fiskar's SS with long handle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here they are the new long shafted and the old classic...
Pretty much the same front, just a longer shaft...looks like the head is identical, the 4 1/4lbs head on both...
FSS_FSS_long.jpg

If I had a choice when I bought mine two years ago, no doubt I would have got the longer handle.
Fast forward, short handle is the way to go.

You can take a roundhouse swing with the Fiskars, but it's not the same sort of timing as with a long, heavy maul. With the latter, you can't keep as much lag in your wrists and the mass of the tool inhibits the flail action that is quite pronounced with the Fiskars. Adding wrist lag and snap to a roundhouse swing can be effective with the Fiskars, it just requires care to release the lag low in the swing so that if you miss you don't hit yourself. The Fiskars responds best to more of a "sports" swing, like a golf club, where a short, compact, snappy swing can produce better results overall than a long, loopy one.

I guess that I envision using it like I do a regular single bit axe, which isn't that much different from how I swing a maul or sledge except that I don't snap my wrist until much later in the swing. I also don't use as much of a wind up.

Honestly, from what I'm seeing in the videos, I could do most of that with my regular ol' 3 1/2 lb axe. I'd still like to give one of them a whirl though just to see what all the hub bub is about ;)

Latest posts

Back